[misc.legal] No RTM trial?

trn@warper.jhuapl.edu (Tony Nardo) (11/17/88)

In article <4770@bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
>In article <5432@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)
>writes:
>>Publishing the code is not illegal in any way...
>
>I suspect it is.  The worm code is an unpublished work, and Robert
>Morris is the copyright owner.  One does not need to include a
>copyright statement to preserve ownership of an unpublished work.

I think Morris has to actually claim copyrights on this material in some
manner, even if it is just having a listing notorized or prepending "the poor
man's copyright" (a "copyright" comment at the top of the module).  Anyone
with more expertise on this matter care to comment?

Anyway, I suspect no one else would wish to claim prior creation of this
code.  :-)  I doubt if Robert Morris will have any problems protecting his
work on that regard.

Anyone know if releasing the worm source code files (the ones that came over
as *.c files) is tatamount to releasing them into the public domain?  The
object files?  [1/2 :-)]

This really belongs in misc.legal...

ARPA:   trn%warper@aplvax.jhuapl.edu   OR   nardo%str.decnet@capsrv.jhuapl.edu
BITNET:	trn@warper.jhuapl.edu		(also for smart Internet mailers)
UUCP:	{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!warper!trn

50% of my opinions are claimed by various federal, state and local governments.
The other 50% are mine to dispense with as I see fit.

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (11/17/88)

In article <5432@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford) writes:
>...  By the same token, selling a gun doesn't make the store
>owner an accessory so long as s/he follows all applicable laws in the
>sale.

Interesting that this isn't so yet, considering that many drinking
establishments are thinking twice about pouring that next drink. The owners
can often be held accountable for any injuries/deaths that the patron
might have caused when he/she leaves the place.

I would expect that the same lines of thinking should be applied to the
sale of guns, too.

Follow-ups have been re-directed to misc.legal.

Brian.

--
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!mnetor, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |