[misc.legal] alt.sex to become illegal in New Jersey?

lvc@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Lawrence V Cipriani) (05/22/89)

In article <3246@looking.UUCP>, brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
> New Jersey legislators are working on a bill to outlaw distribution
> of "obscene" sexually-explicit material over home computers.

A friend who considers himself a 1st amendment expert thinks it is possible
to beat this law in a way similar as that used by some pornographic film
producers.  The courts have ruled in the case of a pornographic movie with
scientific footage that the film had "socially redeeming value", and thus
was allowed.  People who are concerned about this law should occasionally post,
and respond to posts, with scientific information about human sexuality.
In the case of alt.sex it might be necessary to include scientific information
in each and every post [should make for a good weekend programming project].
Any lawyers out there want to comment on this approach?

No I don't read alt.sex, at least not usually :-)
--
Larry Cipriani, lvc@cis.ohio-state.edu
"Life is not a seminar." -- Thomas Sowell