[misc.legal] GIF89a graphics format

sean@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) (08/14/90)

While Compuserve holds a valid copyright for their GIF standard, and their
terms for its redistribution are extremely lenient, it seems to be
accompanied by a "license" that almost certainly holds no water legally.

I'd be curious to see what any legal types have to say about it. What
happens if I implement GIF in a program, don't give them credit, but
don't copy or derive the GIF documentation? Can one prevent the use of
say a computer language or standard with a mere copyright?

----- Relevant part of document follows -----

--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean

bei@halley.UUCP (Bob Izenberg) (08/15/90)

In article <sean.650597168@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
>While Compuserve holds a valid copyright for their GIF standard, and their
>terms for its redistribution are extremely lenient, it seems to be
>accompanied by a "license" that almost certainly holds no water legally.

Let's >hope< that they're low key about licensing, lest we see a lawsuit
over who owns the file extent GIF, as in PICTURE.GIF.  And who owns the
8 character filename, 3 character extent format?  Digital Research?  Not
Microsoft, I'd bet.  DEC?  Computer ambulance chasers, please pretend that
you didn't see this! :-)
-- Bob
--

                       Bob Izenberg [ ] Tandem Computers, Inc.
           cs.utexas.edu!halley!bei [ ] 512 244 8837

dlawson@grebyn.com (Drew Lawson) (08/15/90)

In article <sean.650597168@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Dan Chaney) writes:
>While Compuserve holds a valid copyright for their GIF standard, and their
>terms for its redistribution are extremely lenient, it seems to be
>accompanied by a "license" that almost certainly holds no water legally.

I had the same impression when glancing through it.  They may own the
term/name GIF, and they can prevent anyone from presenting an alternate
GIF standard (like DoD and ada), but they have no control over applications
implementing the standard.

| Is life an illusion?                          | Drew Lawson        |
| Or does it just seem that way?                | dlawson@grebyn.com |