[sci.crypt] Decryption Program

outer@utcsri.UUCP (Richard Outerbridge) (10/14/86)

> I am academically interested in obtaining a program for aiding in the
> decryption of simple substitution ciphers.  Are there any available
> programs or algorithms in public domain?

Software to assist in the solution of several of the basic types of ciphers
is readily available from members of the American Cryptogram Association.

A lot of it is in one or another dialect of BASIC, and most of it has been
written for one or another variety of home computer.  Some of it is very
slick - it's amazing what you can do with an online dictionary, some pattern
word lists, and digraph frequency counts.  The co-ordinator of the A.C.A.'s
computer supplement (I guess he's really its Editor) is an enthusiastic chap
who will probably be more than willing to help you find what you need or at
least point you at the right person.

Besides the semi-annual computer supplement, the bi-monthly >Cryptogram<
carries a computer column which discusses using PC's to assist solving.
The programming is intentionally pitched at computer novices, but the
cryptanalysis represents the distillation of the body of amateur expertise
built up by the Krewe over the past thirty years or so.

Anyway, the person to write to is:

	Mike Barlow
	5052 Chestnut Ave
	Pierrefonds, Quebec,
	CANADA       H8Z 2A8

Tell him you got his name from me; that will give him another thing to
curse me for!

Richard Outerbridge
Secretary,
American Cryptogram Association
--
Richard Outerbridge	<outer@utcsri.UUCP>	 (416) 961-4757
Payload Deliveries:	N 43 39'36", W 79 23'42", Elev. 106.47m.

augustss@chalmers.UUCP (Lennart Augustsson) (10/15/86)

Monoalphabetic substitution can be handled by an algorithm described in
"Breaking Substitution Ciphers Using a Relaxation Algorithm" by Peleg and
Rosenfeld, published in CACM Vol 22 pp. 598-605 (Nov 1979).
--

	Lennart Augustsson
UUCP:		{seismo,philabs,decvax}!mcvax!enea!chalmers!augustss

outer@utcsri.UUCP (Richard Outerbridge) (10/18/86)

> Monoalphabetic substitution can be handled by an algorithm described in
> "Breaking Substitution Ciphers Using a Relaxation Algorithm" by Peleg and
> Rosenfeld, published in CACM Vol 22 pp. 598-605 (Nov 1979).
> --
>
> 	Lennart Augustsson
> UUCP:		{seismo,philabs,decvax}!mcvax!enea!chalmers!augustss
> ARPA,CSNET:	augustss@chalmers.csnet

If anyone has been able to duplicate the results reported in that particular
paper, some friends of mine would be interested to learn >how<.  They've tried.
--
Richard Outerbridge	<outer@utcsri.UUCP>	 (416) 961-4757
Payload Deliveries:	N 43 39'36", W 79 23'42", Elev. 106.47m.

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (10/20/86)

There is a program in the netnews distribution called `caesar.c' that
will decrypt substitution ciphers by frequency analysis from an english
language letter frequency table. This was used in the early days of the
USENET to decrypt "rotated" articles with arbitrary letter rotation
(this was before "rot13" became the accepted convention for scrambling
potentially offensive jokes). I just checked, and it's still in the
2.11 netnews distribution.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

jim@randvax.UUCP (Jim Gillogly) (10/20/86)

augustss@chalmers.UUCP (Lennart Augustsson) writes:

>Monoalphabetic substitution can be handled by an algorithm described in
>"Breaking Substitution Ciphers Using a Relaxation Algorithm" by Peleg and
>Rosenfeld, published in CACM Vol 22 pp. 598-605 (Nov 1979).

Have you (or anyone other than the authors) been able to duplicate the
results in this paper?  Independently I and three other members of the
American Cryptogram Association tried to program this up (one each PL/1
and Pascal, two C efforts) and we weren't able to reproduce the reported
success.  At least three of us corresponded with the authors, who were
forthcoming with both their data ... but we couldn't make it happen.
Each of our efforts died the same way: the substitution would degenerate
to translating the same ciphertext letter into one plaintext letter (e.g.
converting everything to a "T").

The examples they gave in the paper used very long texts by puzzle standards:
the Gettysburg Address, for one; and we couldn't get it to work with that
either.

If anyone has *successfully* implemented this algorithm, I'd like very
much to see your code and data.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	{hplabs, ihnp4}!sdcrdcf!randvax!jim

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (10/21/86)

In article <16191@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>There is a program in the netnews distribution called `caesar.c' that
>will decrypt substitution ciphers by frequency analysis from an english
>language letter frequency table.

Sorry, Erik.  As its name suggests, that program only solves "Caesar
ciphers".  A Caesar cipher corresponds to "rot n" for some n (1-25).
The program will not solve general simple substitution ciphers.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

sow@luthcad.UUCP (10/24/86)

In article <2121@mtuxo.UUCP> jasond@mtuxo.UUCP writes:
>I am academically interested in obtaining a program for aiding in the
>decryption of simple substitution ciphers.  Are there any available
>programs or algorithms in public domain?

In Forsythe, Malcolm and Molers book Computer Methods for Mathematical
Computations there is problem on page 238. Where they solve the problem
with singular value analysis. I tested the algoritm and it works well.

But it didn't work on languages other than English.

Sven-Ove Westberg
Computer Aided Analysis and Design  (CAAD)

bandholm@daimi.UUCP (Anders Bandholm) (10/28/86)

The decryption algorithm presented by Peleg & Rosenfeld in CACM Vol 22   c a n
be implemented.

I wrote such a program this spring. The program was written in pascal, and was
run on a DecSystem10.

Unfortunately the algorithm is very complex - both in terms of time and space.
The Dec10-version used more than 27k words of RAM. I tested the program on a
small example in which the cipher was approx. 60 characters and where the
background text contained about 6000 characters. The background text is the
text used as "standard-english" by the program (Peleg & Rosenfeld used a novel
of about one million letters). The ciphertext was a sentence made of words taken
from the background text. After 4 iterations the text was readable. Though this
sounds as a succes, there was still one problem - the processing-time used for
the 4 iterations was about 4 hours !!!

We don't have the Dec10 any more, and I am presently translating the program
into Modula2 for the IBM PC or perhaps for our Sun's.

			Anders Bandholm
			(bandholm@daimi.UUCP)