[sci.crypt] Neat crypto equipment

mdr@reed.UUCP (01/27/87)

I am interested in what cryptographic equipment people have used or are using
and some of their observations about it's operation.  I'm also interested in
any neat new products that people have used or are thinking of using (or would
like to use).

e.g.
  What is the new Harris chip like - anyone care to describe their
  experiments with it?  How (roughly) does it work?  What is pricing like?

  What are the STU-III phones like to use?  What is the voice quality?
  How do they work?

  Has anyone found any really neat products which are not DES based, and which
  exist on the open market?

I'll kick off with.... Northern Telecom is going to market a DES based "secure"
phone for ISDN networks - since ISDN has 64kbps digital channels, I suspect
they plan to simply encrypt.  Does anyone know more?

Mike Rutenberg
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/774-9192

devine@vianet.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <5108@reed.UUCP>, mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
> I am interested in what cryptographic equipment people have used or are using
> and some of their observations about it's operation.  I'm also interested in
> any neat new products that people have used or are thinking of using (or would
> like to use).

  Systems Development Corp (sub. of Unisys) has been selling the
Blacker system for several years.  It gives secure communication
over data networks.  I don't know the details.

Bob Devine

mdr@reed.UUCP (02/04/87)

Kurt,

I was very impressed with your reply.

I should say that I wasn't expecting people to totally spill their guts, but I
still hope that people who *have* worked with various things (in the past for
instance), that they can talk about, will share their experience.  Part of the
opportunity of a newsgroup is for people with real-world wisdom and advice to
share what they can - most of us don't have production experience with
any sort of communications security equipment.

Any takers out there?

Mike
--
	Reed College -- Portland, Oregon -- 503/774-9192