[sci.crypt] Keywords

dww@stl.stc.co.uk (David Wright) (01/24/87)

In article <237@su-russell.ARPA> goldberg@su-russell.UUCP (Jeffrey Goldberg):
>ARPA:   goldberg@russell.stanford.edu, goldberg@csli.stanford.edu
> The above is food for the NSA line eater.  Add it to your
> .signature and you too can help overflow the NSA's ability to
> scan all traffic going in or out of the USA looking for
> "significant" words.  (I am told that this is no joke.)

I have always thought goldberg's signature slightly amusing, and it does
remind us all that there may be readers who are not in the 10,000 (or so)
sites in the 'official' list, but it is also a bit silly.  Many of us
manage to read all the (to us) interesting news groups in our spare time.
If the NSA (and for that matter our GCHQ) think there's anything interesting
in our news net, they can easily afford to assign someone to read it as his/her
full time job.  It wouldn't need much computing power to help - just what WE
have to read it ourselves.  I'm sure they could get a private news feed without
having to tap public data links - which they may do as well, for all I know.
If such traffic is scanned, I doubt Goldberg's signature wastes very much of
NSA's computer or human time.

Goldberg appears to assume that he is very clever and the NSA (etc.)
rather dumb.  If so, that says more about him than it does about the NSA.

P.S. NSA and GCHQ SHOULD be reading at least sci.crypt anyway: in the unlikely
event of someone posting to the world a way to break some important cypher or
code, I hope our governments know that the method is known!

Disclaimer: these opinions are my own and do not represent any other person or
organisation.  I know nothing of the workings of any government security
organisation: if I did I would certainly not post on this subject.
--
Regards,
        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

edhall@randvax.UUCP (01/28/87)

In article <474@u410a.stl.stc.co.uk> dww@stl.UUCP (David Wright) writes:
>P.S. NSA and GCHQ SHOULD be reading at least sci.crypt anyway: in the unlikely
>event of someone posting to the world a way to break some important cypher or
>code, I hope our governments know that the method is known!

I agree, especially since other organizations (for instance, the KGB) might
also be listening in.

I don't see why any of us should be too upset when some government agency
does what many teenagers with home terminals do--read netnews.  As I said
in an earlier posting, someone in the NSA who reads netnews probably does
so for the same reasons many of us do: to see what other people have to
say in this, a *public* forum.

>Regards,
>        David Wright          STL, London Road, Harlow, Essex  CM17 9NA, U.K.

		-Ed Hall
		decvax!randvax!edhall

kent@tifsie.UUCP (02/03/87)

To those persons who add "Intelligence Agency food" to their postings:
your practice is foolish, even downright reckless; to wit:

    1. Any Intelligence Agency worth its salt can _easily_ dedicate
       1 (one) person to read _all_ postings going into or out of the
       U.S.  The fact is, it probably would not require a full-time
       effort.

    2. _IF_ your practice were to be effective (and I'm not saying it
       is), you would (presumably) be over-loading the scanning ability,
       or follow-up investigation ability, of the/any Intelligence Agency.
       This is not in the best interests of your country (and therefore
       yourself), in that _real_ security threats might be over-looked.

    3. You are bringing yourself to the attention of the Intelligence
       Agency.  Believe me, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.  Those
       people are _dead serious_, and more often than not, DO NOT
       PLAY UNDER THE SAME RULES THAT YOU AND I DO.  They have powers
       and abilities (albeit infrequently used) that you don't even
       want to have nightmares about being used against you. (Ever
       thought about what a cramp in your lifestyle it would be if you
       just disappeared without a trace? :-)

By far, #3 is the one you probably should worry about most.

--
Russell Kent			Phone: +1 214 995 3501
Texas Instruments - MS 3635	Net mail:

jc@cdx39.UUCP (02/05/87)

In article <305@tifsie.UUCP>, kent@tifsie.UUCP (Russell Kent) writes:
> To those persons who add "Intelligence Agency food" to their postings:
> your practice is foolish, even downright reckless; to wit:
>     3. You are bringing yourself to the attention of the Intelligence
>        Agency.  Believe me, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.  Those
>        people are _dead serious_, and more often than not, DO NOT
>        PLAY UNDER THE SAME RULES THAT YOU AND I DO.  They have powers
>        and abilities (albeit infrequently used) that you don't even
>        want to have nightmares about being used against you. (Ever
>        thought about what a cramp in your lifestyle it would be if you
>        just disappeared without a trace? :-)
>
> By far, #3 is the one you probably should worry about most.

True, but probably not too big a worry.  Those people aren't total idiots,
and they are all probably quite used to filtering out rantings about the
security agencies from naive civilians.  If they weren't, they'd spend all
their time chasing wild geese, and not "defending their country".

After all, the US media is chock full of all sorts of stuff (accurate or
otherwise) about the security/intelligence agencies.  Many publications
(the Nation, the Progressive, the Washington Post) are still in business,
and even publishing things by the same writers.

You are only in danger if they decide to take you seriously, or if you
somehow manage to offend one of them personally, or one of them takes
a liking to your SO, or...

Personally, I kinda like such signatures; they're dumb but cute.  And
they don't really waste all that much bandwidth.  Of course, by now I'd
like to see something more original or humerus.  [My spelling checker
didn't catch that one, did it?]

--
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}

gnu@hoptoad.UUCP (02/06/87)

In article <305@tifsie.UUCP>, kent@tifsie.UUCP (Russell Kent) writes:
>     2. _IF_ your practice were to be effective (and I'm not saying it
>        is), you would (presumably) be over-loading the scanning ability,
>        or follow-up investigation ability, of the/any Intelligence Agency.
>        This is not in the best interests of your country (and therefore
>        yourself), in that _real_ security threats might be over-looked.

This is the idea.  Telling our "elected representatives" to stop the
government from wiretapping every phone call or telegram that goes in
or out of the country doesn't seem to have any effect; perhaps
a little grass roots action (all perfectly legal) is called for.
I don't believe that, on balance, the civil liberties of free association
and privacy that are lost, are worth the increase in "security".  I think
it's a lot more likely that my liberty will be lost by my own government
taking it away, rather than by the actions of foreign powers.

>     3. You are bringing yourself to the attention of the Intelligence
>        Agency.  Believe me, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.  Those
>        people are _dead serious_, and more often than not, DO NOT
>        PLAY UNDER THE SAME RULES THAT YOU AND I DO.  They have powers
>        and abilities (albeit infrequently used) that you don't even
>        want to have nightmares about being used against you. (Ever
>        thought about what a cramp in your lifestyle it would be if you
>        just disappeared without a trace? :-)

I heard a rumor that we have laws and a Constitution around here.

If I suddenly disappear due to my net postings I hope that some of you all
will raise a big enough stink to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I would rather risk myself (in an effort to rid our society of people who
think they have these obscene "powers and abilities") than have the whole
population held hostage, terrified to complain about what our government is
doing.
--
John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Love your country but never trust its government.

eugene@pioneer.UUCP (02/06/87)

Article 217 of sci.crypt:
From: gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore)
Newsgroups: sci.crypt
Subject: Re: Keywords
Date: 6 Feb 87 02:28:15 GMT

yerazuws@rpics.UUCP (02/07/87)

In article <305@tifsie.UUCP>, kent@tifsie.UUCP (Russell Kent) writes:
> To those persons who add "Intelligence Agency food" to their postings:
> your practice is foolish, even downright reckless; to wit:
>     3. You are bringing yourself to the attention of the Intelligence
>        Agency.  Believe me, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.  Those
>        people are _dead serious_, and more often than not, DO NOT
>        PLAY UNDER THE SAME RULES THAT YOU AND I DO.  They have powers
>        and abilities (albeit infrequently used) that you don't even
>        want to have nightmares about being used against you. (Ever
>        thought about what a cramp in your lifestyle it would be if you
>        just disappeared without a trace? :-)
>
> By far, #3 is the one you probably should worry about most.

Let's consider that in detail.  Someone (or more likely, more than one)
person in Langley is sitting there and being REQUIRED to read all of the
stuff that goes by in various newsgroups, perhaps even having to
read by hand net.sources, etc.

Now, this person is most likely bored silly by that drivel.  Quite likely,
they just *love* it when some really interesting thing comes by, such
as Craig Werner's medical puzzles, or RISKS digest.  Or even flames
in sci.astrology.

Clearly, it's in our best interest as US citizens that he NOT be bored, that
he be motivated and alert.  (Sorry if you're female, NSA rep- but see
net.lang for a further discussion (and flaming) about pronouns and English).

Seriously, if I were in their position, I'd read everything that went in
or out on every net I could tap.  And the poor underlings who have to
read it ought to have something worth reading.

Besides, maybe we can raise the conciousness of these people.  I don't mind
if they read usenet, etc.  as long as they've thought about it and have come
to the rational conclusion that it's the right thing to do.  At least they're
sincere.  I just don't want someone who doesn't care whether the job
is done right or not doing the job; they'll screw up eventually
and then there *will* be a problem.  Exposure to USEnet might make them
think- that's fine with me.

As an instructor of engineering at the college level, sometimes a student
will come to me and ask for guidance concerning whether or not they
should take a job at a defense-related company.  The only guidance I can give
them is that "You have to ask yourself that.  War is horrible, but
surrender can be worse.  Ask any Manchurian, any Hungarian, any
European Jew." .  I play devil's advocate for both sides for
a few minutes, then send them away to think.

After a couple of days, they usually come back with an answer.  The answer
varies- but the students seem happy to have an answer.

I want those NSA people (PEOPLE!  not spooks, creeps, etc.)  to think and
decide that they are doing the right thing.  If they agree that they are,
fine, they can read USENET.  And if they think they're doing something
wrong, then they can stop.

"avoid calling attention..."  ??  How many engineering/CS/physics grads
come out of US universities every year?  A hundred thousand, maybe.  Well,
there's several government agencies whose business is to track what
graduates go where (Dept. of Labor, for instance) and that data is nowhere
near as securely held as the stuff held by the NSA.  If you're out
there, they have heard of you.

Lastly, I know some people who work down in Langley and this is a good
way to keep in vague touch ( Hi John!   :-)  )

	-Bill Yerazunis

	"Lineater food?  Why bother?"

jmm@thoth16.UUCP (02/09/87)

I don't understand the problem.  This is a public newsgroup, going out to the whole world.  Why shouldn't people at NSA
be reading postings?  And what's wrong with them using keywords to find articles that might be of interest to them?  In fact,
having this ability would be nice in standard rn.

James

elric@csustan.UUCP (02/11/87)

In article <2476@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> jmm@thoth16.BERKELEY.EDU () writes:
>I don't understand the problem.  This is a public newsgroup, going out to the whole world.  Why shouldn't people at NSA
>be reading postings?  And what's wrong with them using keywords to find articles that might be of interest to them?  In fact,
>having this ability would be nice in standard rn.
>
>James

The problem was not really that anyone was upset that the NSA is reading
the Net, is was mainly that some people did not like us putting
keywords at the ends of our .signatures because:
1) We where (are) wasting resources (it cost money to transmit those
extra 1-3 lines)
2) We are wasting tax-payers money by making the NSA sort thru more
junk
3) We are endangering the security of this country
4) We might attract the baleful attention of a 'security agency' and
disappear.

All of the above where mentioned either in this group or in misc.misc
before it moved here.
Of course I don't like the idea of someone reading my email, but even
some sysadmins do that...

	Brad

--
elric	Lunatic Labs @ Csustan {lll-crg,lll-lcc}!csustan!elric
One Pill makes you Bigger,	| The info on cracking DES will be in

harryb@slovax.UUCP (02/12/87)

in article <1749@hoptoad.uucp>, gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) says:

> In article <305@tifsie.UUCP>, kent@tifsie.UUCP (Russell Kent) writes:
>>     3. You are bringing yourself to the attention of the Intelligence
>>        Agency.  Believe me, THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO DO.  Those
>>        people are _dead serious_, and more often than not, DO NOT
>>        PLAY UNDER THE SAME RULES THAT YOU AND I DO.  They have powers
>>        and abilities (albeit infrequently used) that you don't even
>>        want to have nightmares about being used against you. (Ever
>>        thought about what a cramp in your lifestyle it would be if you
>>        just disappeared without a trace? :-)

My first impulse on reading '3.' above was to post a followup saying:
"LISTEN TO THE GUY!"

> I heard a rumor that we have laws and a Constitution around here.

You know, I heard about that, too.  And it turns out that, yeah, we do
have laws against drunk driving.  And you know what?  People are killed
by drunk drivers every day and they are just as dead as if there
weren't any laws against it.  Isn't that amazing?  And the Constitution
sure protected all those Nisei during WWII that had their property
confiscated and were shipped off to internment camps.  All they had to
do was wave that piece of parchment at the marshals who whisked them
away and all the barbed wire disappeared and they got their property
back.  Right?

> If I suddenly disappear due to my net postings I hope that some of you all
> will raise a big enough stink to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Why should we notice?  I'm not being flippant.  People come and go on
the net all the time, and most of us don't keep track of more than a
few of the thousands of netters.  Probably the only persons who would
notice are your close family and your intimate associates.  Unless they
are successful at mobilizing publicity by adding some element of
sensationalism to your disappearance, the world will little note your
passing.  And even then, the world would manifest curiousity only as
long as the subject provided gossipy entertainment value.  Note that
they must be successful in the face of highly trained personnel whose
job it is to stifle and discredit such publicity.  What do you think
they're going to do?  Post news that says, "John Gilmore's postings
offended us, so we switched him off"?

> I would rather risk myself (in an effort to rid our society of people who
> think they have these obscene "powers and abilities") than have the whole
> population held hostage, terrified to complain about what our government is
> doing.
> --
> John Gilmore  {sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu   gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
> Love your country but never trust its government.
> 		     -- from a hand-painted road sign in central Pennsylvania

I'm sympathetic to your cause, but I think there are better ways of
turning a bull into a steer than by strutting up to it in the middle of
its pasture, dropping your pants, and betting you don't get a horn up
your ass.

Harry E. Barnett      {hplsla,uw-beaver}!tikal!slovax!harryb

Brittanius (shocked):  Caesar, this is not proper.
Theodotus (outraged):  How?
Caesar (recovering his self possession):  Pardon him, Theodotus:  He is
a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and islands are
the laws of nature.

		--Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II, George Bernard Shaw