[sci.crypt] Stupidity

robert@jimi.UUCP (02/14/87)

In article <924@cartan.Berkeley.EDU> lazarus@brahms.Berkeley.EDU (Andrew J Lazarus) writes:
>>the dumpster and use them to read past messages.  (Would any
>>outfit be so stupid as to not permanently destroy the key tape?
>
>Yes, the United States Navy is this stupid.  My understanding -- the
>newspapers all claimed it was 'classified'  -- is that the Walker spy
>ring gave the Soviets the old keys.  These were, of course, useless

There was an article in the paper a while ago about either the Air Force
or Navy, I can't remember.  Apparently they had several hundred used tapes
they no longer needed.  They sold them at public auction, complete with
classified (unencrypted) data.

				--robert

--
CSNET:   robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:    {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,sdcrdcf}!otto!jimi!robert