[sci.crypt] ATMs

bruce@dolqci.UUCP (Bruce Limber) (06/30/87)

>> Also, note ominous video camera installed
>> in many of the machines.
>
>use aluminum foil adhesive tape!! (difficult for IR cameras)

Congratulations:  you have just proved the Peter Principle correct!

That's just what they *want* you to do!  The external camera with the
one-way mirror is usually a _fake_ to distract you.

Didn't you ever notice the (seemingly) strange 45-degree angle of the
glass in most ATMs?  That's a splitter:  the screen and camera are
*both* behind this glass.  You see the screen; the camera sees you.

		       |\         _
		[you]  | \	o[_]   camera
		       |  \
		       | _ \
			( )
		screen	 V       (or vice versa)

Smile:  you're on--no, you're probably too young to remember . . .

--
Bruce Limber (seismo!dolqci!bruce)     (202) 535-0640
If we are not careful, we are liable to end up where we are headed.

robert@uop.UUCP (Robert McCaul--The Equalizer) (07/02/87)

In article <533@dolqci.UUCP>, bruce@dolqci.UUCP (Bruce Limber) writes:
> >> Also, note ominous video camera installed
> >> in many of the machines.
> >
> >use aluminum foil adhesive tape!! (difficult for IR cameras)
>
> Congratulations:  you have just proved the Peter Principle correct!
>
> That's just what they *want* you to do!  The external camera with the
> one-way mirror is usually a _fake_ to distract you.
>
> Didn't you ever notice the (seemingly) strange 45-degree angle of the
> glass in most ATMs?  That's a splitter:  the screen and camera are
> *both* behind this glass.  You see the screen; the camera sees you.

this is only true on newer machines, some of the older ones in our
town really do have outside cameras...for the internal ones,
an application of hairspray works nicely to fuzz the camera but still
permit viewing of the screen..i *have* repaired these things!

of course if you hook some chain hooks up to the unit and try to
pull it out like one redneck in this town did, then i suppose the
cameras would'nt matter (the internal alarms would have to save the
day)

> Smile:  you're on--no, you're probably too young to remember . . .

i remember old allen fundt, (sp.??) watched his show all the time  :-)

	Somewhere on the Pacific Crest Trail...

....cogent!uop!robert
		      OR   .....seismo!lll-crg!ucdavis!uop!robert