[sci.crypt] non-RSA public-key encryption systems

Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
We have an urgent application for such a thing, and I would rather avoid
patent infringement.  I haven't been following the public-key business
very closely, so I don't have a good picture of what's current.
--
Mars must wait -- we have un-         Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
finished business on the Moon.     {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (07/05/87)

In article <8248@utzoo.UUCP] henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
]Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
]not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
]We have an urgent application for such a thing, and I would rather avoid

It doesn't exist.

Bob Silverman

mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Mauldin) (07/06/87)

I have heard Michael Shamos of Unilogic (who is both a practicing
attorney and a PhD in Computer Science) lecture on copyrights, patents,
trade secrets and trademarks on several occasions.  Each time, he has
said that one cannot patent algorithms (at least in the US).  There is
an exclusion clause that says you cannot patent something that can be
done "with pencil and paper," so algorithms by themselves are not
protectable.

One way around this is to patent a system with an algorithm embedded in
it.  The system then enjoys patent protection.  So ROM code in firmware
is protected along with the rest of the device using it.

How does this relate to the legal status of RSA?  Is it just Rivest's
special purpose chip that is patented?  A particular setting of some of
the parameters?  Or are all exponentiation ciphers (M^e mod pq) protected?
I can find no mention in Denning82 "Cryptography and Data Security"
that the RSA scheme of public key encryption is patented.  Surely she
would have mentioned it.

Michael L. Mauldin (Fuzzy)		Department of Computer Science
ARPA: Michael.Mauldin@NL.CS.CMU.EDU	Carnegie-Mellon University
Phone: (412) 268-3065			Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3890

ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Ralph Hyre) (07/06/87)

In article <12@nl.cs.cmu.edu> mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Mauldin) writes:

>I have heard Michael Shamos of Unilogic (who is both a practicing
>attorney and a PhD in Computer Science) lecture on copyrights, patents,
>trade secrets and trademarks on several occasions.  Each time, he has
>said that one cannot patent algorithms (at least in the US).  There is
>an exclusion clause that says you cannot patent something that can be
>done "with pencil and paper," so algorithms by themselves are not
>protectable.
>
>One way around this is to patent a system with an algorithm embedded in
>it.  The system then enjoys patent protection.  So ROM code in firmware
>is protected along with the rest of the device using it.
>
>How does this relate to the legal status of RSA?  Is it just Rivest's
>special purpose chip that is patented?  A particular setting of some of
>the parameters?  Or are all exponentiation ciphers (M^e mod pq) protected?
I believe that the use of RSA in a "cryptographics communications system"
is patented.  Unfortunately this seems to cover most of the
normal applications in which RSA is useful. (encrypting a message,
transmitting it to someone, and decrypting it.)  I'd appreciate it if someone
could post the specifics (ie definition of a cryptographics commuications
system, etc.)

--
					- Ralph W. Hyre, Jr.

Internet: ralphw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu    Phone:(412)268-{2847,3275} CMU-{BUGS,DARK}
Amateur Packet Radio: N3FGW@W2XO, or c/o W3VC, CMU Radio Club, Pittsburgh, PA

misha@cernvax.UUCP (misha) (07/07/87)

In article <8457@linus.UUCP> bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
>In article <8248@utzoo.UUCP] henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>]Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
>]not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
>]We have an urgent application for such a thing, and I would rather avoid
>
>It doesn't exist.
>
>Bob Silverman

What about Michael Rabin's scheme? It is possibly more secure than RSA
since Rabin proves it to be as intractable as factorization. Like RSA,
the scheme involves a number n=p*q, a product of two large primes, but
encryption and decryption functions are different. Also, they are a lot
faster to compute.
The scheme is described in MIT note MIT/LCS/TR-212 of January 1979.

In fact, Rabin's scheme seems to be a clear winner over RSA, and I haven't
heard of anybody finding flaws in it or applying for a patent. Anybody has
more information?

Michael Kharitonov
misha@cernvax.bitnet

galvin@udel.UUCP (07/07/87)

In article <8457@linus.UUCP> bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:
>In article <8248@utzoo.UUCP] henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>]Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
>]not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
>
>It doesn't exist.

Not true.  As far as I know any algorithm based on computing logarithms
in a finite field are available.  Cylink is marketing a product called
SEEK which is based on this, but there are many variations of the
algorithm and I can't imagine they could have a "lock" on all of them,
since you can't patent an algorithm.

References available on request.

galvin@udel.edu
--
James M Galvin

devine@vianet.UUCP (Bob Devine) (07/09/87)

In article <12@nl.cs.cmu.edu> mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Mauldin) writes:
> [...] algorithms by themselves are not protectable.
>One way around this is to patent a system with an algorithm embedded in
>it.  The system then enjoys patent protection.  So ROM code in firmware
>is protected along with the rest of the device using it.

  [Doesn't this protection stem from the case where a manufacturer wanted
to protect a program that handled the curing of rubber?]

  It may be that the RSA algorithm is protected in this way.  The
algorithm HAS been issued a patent (Patent 4,405,829 held by MIT and
licensed by RSA Data Security Inc).

Bob Devine

mlm@nl.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Mauldin) (07/13/87)

In article <321@louie.udel.EDU>, galvin@udel.EDU (James M Galvin) writes:
>>> Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
>>> not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
>>
>> It doesn't exist.
>
> Not true.  As far as I know any algorithm based on computing logarithms
> in a finite field are available.

How about using an exponentiation cipher based on three or more secret
primes instead of just two (like the RSA scheme):

	C = exp (M, E) mod N
	M = exp (C, D) mod N

		Where:
		M = message (clear) text
		C = cipher text
		N = p*q*r	p,q,r are large 'safe' primes

		Then phi(N) = (p-1)(q-1)(r-1)

		E,D such that gcd(D,phi(N)) = 1 and E*D = 1 mod phi(N)
		(for example, fix D, compute E = invert (D, phi(N)))

		A prime p is safe if p = 2p'+1 for some prime p'.

		To use k primes p(i), just compute
			  __
		N =       || p(i)		i=1,k
			  __
		phi(N) =  || (p(i)-1)		i=1,k

  The neat trick is that you could still use RSA hardware for
  encryption and decryption, since the enciphering/deciphering
  step is still  C = exp (M, E) mod N, the only difference is
  the method of computing the actual values of E, D, and N.

Questions:

  Is this different enough from RSA to avoid patent infringement?

  Does choosing modulus N with a few factors (say 3 to 10)
  rather than just 2 make it much easier to factor N?  Are
  there any known pitfalls to using more than 2 primes?

  What's the state of the art in factoring large numbers.  How fast
  can it be done on various computers (Vax, Sun, PC, Cray, VLSI)?

spencert@itsgw.RPI.EDU (Thomas Spencer) (07/17/87)

> In article <8457@linus.UUCP> bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) writes:

[Henry Spencer's request for a good public-key cyrpto-system deleted]

>What about Michael Rabin's scheme? It is possibly more secure than RSA
>since Rabin proves it to be as intractable as factorization. Like RSA,
>the scheme involves a number n=p*q, a product of two large primes, but
>encryption and decryption functions are different. Also, they are a lot
>faster to compute.
>The scheme is described in MIT note MIT/LCS/TR-212 of January 1979.
>
>In fact, Rabin's scheme seems to be a clear winner over RSA, and I haven't
>heard of anybody finding flaws in it or applying for a patent. Anybody has
>more information?
>
>Michael Kharitonov
>misha@cernvax.bitnet

As you probably know, Rabin's scheme is just like RSA except that it
uses the exponent 2, instead of some exponent to relatively prime to
(p-1)(q-1).  Thus, it may be covered by the RSA patent.  Get a lawyer
to read the RSA patent, if you plan to do anything serious with the
system.

The proof that beaking this scheme is equivalent to factoring points
out a fatal weakness of the system if it is used as a signature system.
If we assume that the advesary can force you to sign arbitrary messages,
he can easily break the system as follows:
      1. He picks a random number x.
      2. He computes x^2.
      3. He makes you sign x^2 to obtain y.
      4. With probability 1/2 y is neither x nor -x (mod n).
      5. If so x+y is a multpile of p or q and factoring n is now easy.

I hope that this helps.

                                -Tom Spencer
                                 spencert@cs.rpi.edu

bs@linus.UUCP (Robert D. Silverman) (07/18/87)

]>]Anybody know of a reasonably good public-key encryption system which has
]>]not been broken like the knapsack algorithm and is not patented like RSA?
]>
]>It doesn't exist.
]
]Not true.  As far as I know any algorithm based on computing logarithms
]in a finite field are available.  Cylink is marketing a product called

Sorry, but due to the efforts of Odlyzko, Coppersmith, et. al.
the discrete log in GF(p^q) problem is effectively solvable.

Bob Silverman