[sci.crypt] Call for existing encryption program

jkimble@crash.CTS.COM (Jim Kimble) (07/17/87)

As part of my undergraduate thesis, I am writing a software application
which will create a network similiar to that of Usenet, only on a PC level
-- designed for the average home computer user, with nodes leading to UUCP
etc.

anyway, I'm well into the portion of thecode which allows users to bounce
mail (and news) through other nodes in order to save phone costs, and for
general distribution.

anyway, being that there are a few people out there who arn't honest, I
feel that it might be a good idea to encrypt messages before they bounce
through a node.

Right now I am looking for either an existing public domain program, or
just some suggestions for an encryption routine that I can utilize.

If anyone reading this happens to have something they've written themselves,
I could not reward you in a monetary sense, however I would cite you as a
reference on the completed program.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

--Jim Kimble
San Diego State University

"End of Line" -- Master Control Program

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!jkimble
ARPA: crash!jkimble@nosc
INET: jkimble@crash.CTS.COM

galvin@udel.EDU (James M Galvin) (07/23/87)

In article <1400@crash.CTS.COM> jkimble@crash.CTS.COM (Jim Kimble) writes:

>As part of my undergraduate thesis, I am writing a software application
>which will create a network similiar to that of Usenet, only on a PC level
>-- designed for the average home computer user, with nodes leading to UUCP
>etc.
>
>anyway, being that there are a few people out there who arn't honest, I
>feel that it might be a good idea to encrypt messages before they bounce
>through a node.

You haven't discovered yet that your next problem will be cryptographic
key distribution.  This is precisely the subject of my PhD Dissertation,
to be completed this summer.  I have designed an automatic key distribution
protocol, perfectly suited to be included in what you are doing (and MANY
other applications).  It uses electronic mail to exchange protocol messages,
rather than requiring a virtual connection as in the Internet.

Jim <galvin@udel.edu>
--
James M Galvin