[sci.crypt] Encryption devices

klb@philabs.Philips.Com (Ken Bourque) (07/30/87)

I am looking for information concerning off-the-shelf encryption devices
(black boxes, not IC's).  If anyone has any experience with one or more models
from any vendor or has done any kind of an evaluation of them I'd like to hear
about it.  Thanks in advance.

Ken Bourque  ...!seismo!philabs!klb  -or-  klb@philabs.philips.com

In article <1476@briar.Philips.Com> klb@philabs.Philips.Com (Ken Bourque) writes:
>I am looking for information concerning off-the-shelf encryption devices...

You can find ads for several in magazines such as Defense Electronics.
Whether or not you will be allowed to acquire one is something I can't
answer, but at least you'll know who to get in touch with.

jbn@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (John B. Nagle) (07/31/87)

      Try Hagelin Crypto AG, Zug, Switzerland.  They offer a line of
crypto gear from the pocket-calculator size to rack-mounted digital systems.
Various degrees of security are offered, and systems that use true random
key generators and portable key-carriers with erase-on-tamper features
are available.  Being in Switzerland, Hagelin is not subjected to any
governmental restrictions on cypher strength, so the U.S. restrictions
on export of crypto gear do not apply.  The high-security systems use
true random keys in excess of 1000 bits in length.  Hagelin gear is used
worldwide in and by over a hundred countries.  It is not cheap.

      I don't have the address handy, but a major library with European
business directories should be able to provide it.

					John Nagle

					John Nagle

gene@cooper.UUCP (Gene from EK Enterprises) (08/04/87)

in article <6209@brl-smoke.ARPA>, gwyn@brl-smoke.ARPA (Doug Gwyn ) says:

> In article <1476@briar.Philips.Com> klb@philabs.Philips.Com (Ken Bourque) writes:
>>I am looking for information concerning off-the-shelf encryption devices...
>
> You can find ads for several in magazines such as Defense Electronics.

Well, I don't quite know what kind of "device" you have, but if you are brave
enough to make a board for your computer, you have quite a selection of
hardware chips to choose from.

For example, AMD has a few chips which support DES standards IN HARDWARE, and
not some software-dependent crap. I believe the number is something like
the AMD8068 or something. Check them out and have fun incorporating it into
your system!

					Gene

					...!ihnp4!philabs!phri!cooper!gene

	"If you think I'll sit around as the world goes by,
	 You're thinkin' like a fool 'cause it's case of do or die.
	 Out there is a fortune waitin' to be had.
	 You think I'll let it go? You're mad!
	 You got another thing comin'!"

			- Robert John Aurthur Halford