[sci.crypt] Protecting TAC Access Via Radio

ks@a.cs.okstate.edu (Kurt F. Sauer) (08/05/87)

Create a hypothetical TAC access scheme where we have four primitives:

	Ek()    ... Encrypt using key 'k'
	Dk()    ... Decrypt using key 'k'
	OneWay() .. Perform a one-way transform
	KG()    ... Generate a key, 'kg,' which is random to an acceptable deg.

Presume, also, that all communications are tapped (i.e. over packet radio).
Does the following schema seem plausible?

A.  TAC knows only:
    a.  User names
    b.  Each user's password, in encrypted form:  OneWay(pw)
    c.  Each user's personal key-encrypting key:  kek

B.  TAC users each know only:
    a.  User names
    b.  Their password, in unencrypted form:  pw
    c.  Their personal key-encrypting key:  kek

A login session might well operate thus:

1.  User requests a network connection from TAC host.

2.  TAC host is alive and asks for a username.

3.  User sends username.

4.  TAC host looks up the tuple (username, OneWay(pw), kek).  Then the host
    applies KG()--which generates a new kg--and encrypts it using the user's
    key-encrypting key to form Ekek(kg), which is sent to the user.  The
    host remembers this session's kg value.

5.  User decrypts thus:  Dkek(Ekek(kg)) = kg.  Then user uses his user-supplied
    password (upw) to generate the response:  Ekg(OneWay(upw)).

6.  TAC host decrypts thus:  Dkg(Ekg(OneWay(upw))) = OneWay(upw) which the
    host compares against its stored OneWay(pw) for sameness.

7.  If OneWay(upw) matches OneWay(pw), access is granted.  If they do not
    match, access is denied.

Question:  Do you believe this to be a reasonable way to proceed?  My incli-
	   nation is to use DES functions...which seems to have suitable
	   properties for this sort of operation.

Comments solicited.

		Kurt F. Sauer
		Tulsa, OK
		ks@a.cs.okstate.edu
		okstate!ks

galvin@udel.EDU (James M Galvin) (08/05/87)

In article <2312@okstate.UUCP> ks@okstate.UUCP (Kurt F. Sauer) writes:
>Create a hypothetical TAC access scheme where we have four primitives:
>Presume, also, that all communications are tapped (i.e. over packet radio).
>Does the following schema seem plausible?
>Question: Do you believe this to be a reasonable way to proceed?  My incli-
>	   nation is to use DES functions...which seems to have suitable
>	   properties for this sort of operation.

Question:  How do you propose to initially distribute the key encrypting
keys to both the TAC and the user?  All keys need a cryptoperiod, defined by
time and number of uses.  How do you propose to distribute new key encrypting
keys?

Jim
--
James M Galvin