[sci.crypt] Secrecy Shibboleth

koning@koning.dec.com (NI1D @ FN42eq) (10/14/87)

I get the feeling that Mr. Meaders gets his views on what constitutes
liberty from the practices of its enemies.  Or has he forgotten what
was well known to people here 200 years ago, that big governments
(and particularly snoopy governments) are the enemy, not the friend,
of freedom?

Sigh.  What a statement to make in the year of the Constitution's
bicentennial.

	paul

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (10/15/87)

I feel that I should better explain my position.  First I thank everyone
for not flaming me as is the practice on other groups.

I cherish my right to say what I please like everyone else.  And yes I
think it would be great if I never had to worry about having my conversations
monitored.  But in this day and age the chance of being monitored is great.
Computers do a lot of the monitoring searching for keywords and when they
find one they log the conversation or whatever was being monitored (I am no
expert but I have read "Puzzle Palace" and I gather that is how it goes).
In the past year and a half my phone has been tapped numerous times (either
that or my phone lines like generating beeps at odd times).  There are
several reasons for a tap on myself:  a) what I do in the Army Reserve,
b) my computer use of the phone, c) some of my friends have jobs that could
cause them to come under surveillance.  I guess being in the military and
knowing that you are prone to routine surveillance has caused me take
it for granted and no longer bothers me.  Why should it really if I am doing
nothing wrong.  Sure I give up some freedom, but that is a price I pay
for doing what I do (which I enjoy).  People not involved in the Intelligence
community aren't used to being surveilled, so to you I apologize if I sound
like Ed Meese.  It is comforting for me, though, to realize I may be
under friendly surveillance because that may catch enemy surveillance of
myself or CYA if the Threat tries to blackmail me, etc.

In summary,  I don't think everyone should have to submit to invasion
of privacy.  But being a member of the Intelligence communtiy and a student
has caused me not to mind any surveillance (imagined or actual) of myself.
I am not an Ed Meese clone, just a product of my training.
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550

hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) (10/16/87)

In article <497@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
. In the past year and a half my phone has been tapped numerous times (either
. that or my phone lines like generating beeps at odd times).

Perhaps you have the "call waiting" feature on your phone.....
--
Craig Hansen
Manager, Architecture Development

johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) (10/18/87)

In article <807@mips.UUCP> hansen@mips.UUCP (Craig Hansen) writes:
>In article <497@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:
>. In the past year and a half my phone has been tapped numerous times (either
>. that or my phone lines like generating beeps at odd times).
>
>Perhaps you have the "call waiting" feature on your phone.....

I do have "call waiting," however, the beeps I talk about are not call waiting
beeps.  In fact, they are more like clicks.  Occasionly my phone will ring
for a split second, I will go and pick it up, and someone will be there (no
it isn't a caller since the phone only beeped a second and stopped).  Once
it was a phone company guy checking the network out (so he said), other times
nobody would answer me.  Also, during long distance calls I will hear beeps
(although this could be switching equipment, I don't use AT&T on my voice line
for long distance).  Anybody else experience this kind of thing?
--
John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550
UUCP:   ...!ut-ngp!auscso!jclyde!john
                          \johnm

In article <497@auscso.UUCP>, johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders) writes:

>In the past year and a half my phone has been tapped numerous times (either
>that or my phone lines like generating beeps at odd times).

>several reasons for a tap on myself:  a) what I do in the Army Reserve,

> It is comforting for me, though, to realize I may be
> under friendly surveillance because that may catch enemy surveillance of
> myself or CYA if the Threat tries to blackmail me, etc.

Phone switching equipment (especially non-AT&T :-) ) sometimes introduces noises
and crosstalk into phone connections.  Have you tried complaining to your
local phone company?  I'd think that anyone who wants to surreptitiously bug
a phone line would do it noiselessly; why arouse the suspicions of the buggee?

For that matter, speaking from the point of view of devil's advocate, let me
ask:  what makes you so sure that the bugging (if there is bugging at all on
your phone) is friendly (even if you assume that all U.S. governmental phone
bugging is in the "friendly" category; not everybody would agree!).  Maybe
you should report the beeps to your Reserve commander; you might catch some
Russky spies red handed!  ( :-) ** googolplex )
--
|------------Dan Levy------------|  Path: ..!{akgua,homxb,ihnp4,ltuxa,mvuxa,
|--------Skokie, Illinois--------|

adamj@thoth8.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (10/19/87)

In article <533@auscso.UUCP> johnm@auscso.UUCP (John B. Meaders, Jr.) writes:

>I do have "call waiting," however, the beeps I talk about are not call waiting
>beeps.  In fact, they are more like clicks.  Occasionly my phone will ring
>for a split second, I will go and pick it up, and someone will be there (no
>it isn't a caller since the phone only beeped a second and stopped).  Once
>it was a phone company guy checking the network out (so he said), other times
>nobody would answer me.  Also, during long distance calls I will hear beeps
>(although this could be switching equipment, I don't use AT&T on my voice line
>for long distance).  Anybody else experience this kind of thing?
>--
>John B. Meaders, Jr.  1114 Camino La Costa #3083, Austin, TX  78752
>ATT:  Voice:  +1 (512) 451-5038  Data:  +1 (512) 371-0550
>UUCP:   ...!ut-ngp!auscso!jclyde!john
>                          \johnm

	My cheap push-button phone would let out a half assed
ring now and then, last summer, when I was in New Jersey.  Have you
tried a different phone?

	Being bugged:  I understand that there are numbers that
you can call that will give you a rising tone that either stays high or
drops low and starts rising again depending upon whether there are
any extra listeners.  I've tried the numbers with different, but consistent,
results from different a variety of places.

	I used to have a list of four such numbers and I used to know
which response meant the line was "bugged" and which one meant not.
Obviously, these sorts of detectors can't detect everything.  E.g., to
the best of my knowledge there's now way to tell whether a satallite
signal is being received by an extra antenna either near the satallite
Or near the receiving ground station.
Adam J. Richter			adamj@widow.berkeley.edu
				....!ucbvax!widow!adamj
(415)642-7762

In article <5515@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, adamj@thoth8.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU writes:
> 	Being bugged:  I understand that there are numbers that
> you can call that will give you a rising tone that either stays high or
> drops low and starts rising again depending upon whether there are
> any extra listeners.  I've tried the numbers with different, but consistent,
> results from different a variety of places.
> 	I used to have a list of four such numbers and I used to know
> which response meant the line was "bugged" and which one meant not.

	While this may not be the most appropriate newsgroup for this
discussion, I feel obligated to respond to what appears to be the
propagation of an "urban legend".
	There is no way in which any telephone company central office
apparatus can know if your line is "bugged".  Most "real bugs" (which
are few and far between) today are inductively coupled to a telephone
pair, draw no current, present no bridged capacitance or inductance,
inject no signal into the telephone line, and are virtually undetectable
even with a balanced-pair time domain reflectometer (an instrument which
requires that the telephone line in question be disconnected both from
central office apparatus and any telephone instruments before a measurement
can be made).
	Less "sophisticated bugs", which make direct two-wire connection
to a telephone pair are either capacitively-coupled and/or connected
with a series resistance >> 100K ohms.  The effective bridged capacitance
or bridged resistance (i.e., current "leak") of even these "bugs" is only
a miniscule fraction of the normal capacitance of the telephone line and
its normal leakage resistance, and for all intents and purposes presents
an immeasureable condition from the telephone central office; it definitely
presents an immeasureable condition if a telephone is off-hook at the time
and is used to dial a test number!
	And let's say this alleged "bug test" number just measured the
current draw of the connected subscriber instrument, and reported the
results by means of a tone.  How should this test device know the "normal"
current draw of your telephone instrument?  Current draw will vary all
over the map (typically 25 to 100 mA), depending upon distance from the
central office and the type of subscriber instrument you are using (i.e.,
a 500-type "traditional" telephone set with a passive network will behave
MUCH differently than say, one of the newer electronic telephone sets).
	In addition, some telephones which have memory dialers and clocks
draw a few mA from the telephone in an ON-HOOK condition, with this current
being used to trickle-charge the dialer memory battery and power the clock.
How is any telephone central office apparatus to know if say, a 2 mA leak is
the result of an electronic telephone or the result of a "bug"?
	An operating telephone company simply has NO REASON to install any
"bug test" line.  Actual inspections of telephone lines conducted by an
operating telephone company (which are also few and far beween), start out
by "cording" the subscriber pair in the telephone central office - which
is a procedure that isolates the pair from central office switching
apparatus and connects the pair to a "test board" where appropriate
resistance, capacitance, balance, current leak, and foreign potential
measurements can be conducted.
	Ah, but you say you dialed numbers which responded!  Well, what
did you dial?  Probably one or more of the following:

1.	A milliwatt or CLA (Combined Loop-Around) test line which provides
	a 1,000 (or 1,004) Hz tone at 0 dBm.  This is either a steady tone,
	or one which is 9 seconds on, and 1 second off.  This test line is
	used for transmission measurement.

2.	A "loop checker" test line, which consists of a tone of slowly rising
	frequency which then abruptly falls in frequency and restarts the
	cycle; the cycle period is typically 20 seconds.  This test line is
	for "simplified" transmission measurements of subscriber telephone
	loops.

3.	A "105-type" ATMS Responder test line, which sounds something like a
	modem line answer.  This line is used for automated testing of
	interoffice trunks (i.e., the test line gets dialed by other automatic
	equipment).

4.	A "touch-tone station test line", which is used to verify that a
	touch-tone telephone set is sending the correct frequency tone pairs
	for each digit.  In operation, the line returns dial tone; you
	then dial 1234567890, which is followed by "two beeps" if the
	digits are okay, or by "one beep" if the digits are not okay.

5.	A "ringback station test line" (sometimes combined with (4) above),
	which often returns either "high tone" (600 Hz), or dial tone
	followed by the entry of a ringing party code number.  This test
	line is used to test ringers.

6.	A "continuity test line", which generally returns a tone interrupted
	once per second, and is used for testing within the central office.

7.	A "delayed charging test line", which returns a variety of clicks
	(as answer supervision is returned and released), usually followed
	by a tone interrupted once per second.

8.	A "coin station test line", which is probably the most complex dial
	test line to be found, and which returns the greatest variety of
	tones (interruped dial tone, high tone beeps, ringback tones, etc.).
	This is a specialized test line used to test the coin collection
	and return functions of coin telephones.  It's operating procedure
	is complex, and applies only to coin telephones; dialing this line
	from a regular telephone can produce a variety of results.

	I suspect that you have probably dialed a coin station test line.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jmm@thoth16.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (10/20/87)

Sounds to me like it might just be garbage on the line.
I hope so - after all we dump enough money into our intelligence
agencies that I would assume they can come up with a bugging
device that isn't quite so obvious |-).

James Moore
...!ucbvax!leggatt!jmm

	"Ocus ba hairi no fertha leu acht cluchi
	ocus cheti ocus anius ocus aibinnius
	ocus longad ocus tomailt, conid de sin
	atat na trenae samna sechnon na hErend."
	     -as an sceal _Seirgligi Con Culaind inso sis ocus oenet Emire_
James Moore
..!ucbvax!leggatt!jmm

	"Ocus ba hairi no fertha leu acht cluchi
	ocus cheti ocus anius ocus aibinnius
	ocus longad ocus tomailt, conid de sin
	atat na trenae samna sechnon na hErend."
	     -as an sceal _Seirgligi Con Culaind inso sis ocus oenet Emire_

samlb@well.UUCP (Samuel B. Bassett) (10/20/87)

	***SIGH***

	Are all current (and ex-) spooks Professional Paranoids?  Must be an
occupational disease.
	I decided a number of years ago that there probably _wasn't_ a
conspiracy (name your favorite...), since, if there _were_, the world would
operate much more efficiently and rationally than it in fact does.
	Strange noises on the phone are as likely to be sheer incompetence or
outdated equipment at the phone company than deliberate listening . . .
--
Sam'l Bassett -- Semantic Engineering for fun & profit.
34 Oakland Ave., San Anselmo  CA  94960;               DDD:  (415) 454-7282

glr@m-net.UUCP (Glen L. Roberts) (10/22/87)

>. In the past year and a half my phone has been tapped numerous times (either
>. that or my phone lines like generating beeps at odd times).

    Tapping a phone DOES NOT involve putting clicks or beeps on the line. One
would have to put forth more effort to cause a beep or a click from a tap than
not. The ONLY reason one that had your line tapped would beep or click it would
be to let you know it was tapped... ie: make you paranoid.

--
Glen L. Roberts, Box 8275-UN, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48107
{!ihnp4!itivax!m-net!glr}