[sci.crypt] Spycatcher -please take with pinch of salt

george@ditmela.oz (George michaelson) (01/06/88)

in article <6448@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, sunghou@violet.berkeley.edu (Sung-Hou KimGroup) says:

> By the way, what was the reason the British wanted Spycatcher supressed?
> The bit about Roger Hollis is really old.  There was a book, a while ago called
> Too Secret, Too Long by Chapman Pincher (more or less) which was just about
> Hollis being a Soviet spy.

Please don't make the mistake of taking ANYTHING written by British ex-spies or
Chapman Pincher as gospel truth.

The former are liars by trade. is Peter Wright an OBJECTIVE source?

The latter, aside from being a >>>JOURNALIST<<< in a paper well known for it's
"better red than dead" stance, and a self-publicist of many years standing
is a channel of dis-information for successive british governments,
a fact he even alludes to in interviews and articles indirectly. -Pincher is
overly font of mentioning how useful he is to the Intelligence world as the
"legitimated mouthpiece" of interesting snippits.

I find the suggested plot against the Wilson Government much more upsetting
than the suggestion that the head of MI-n (where n lies between -1 and infinity)
was possibly red. Having the local security chief in the pay of the enemy
strikes me as very fitting, perhaps J Edgar Hoover was also a sleeper ?

Hollis may or may not have been a spy, there certainly has been a "cover up" of
the evidence since we are *NOT* intitled to examine the source documents
ourselves, and thus depend on Ministerial statements to the effect
that the matter has been "looked into".

Read SPYCATCHER. fight the Tory Governments restriction of press freedom
(Note they are banning equivalents of the Washington Post and Herald Tribune
leaving rags like Pinchers to rake muck and carry on the National Enquirers
job overseas.) be informed, but please be skeptical. If you walk into any
bookshop you will find shelves and shelves of books documenting the histories
of intelligence agencies the world over. There are many better sources of
information than the two mentioned here. Go find them yourselves.

	George Michaelson.
----------
ACSnet:	G.Michaelson@ditmela.oz.au
Postal:	55 Barry St, Carlton, Vic 3053
Phone:	(03) 347 8644 				Fax:	(03) 347 8987
--

lindsay@cheviot.newcastle.ac.uk (Lindsay F. Marshall) (01/08/88)

In article <279@ditmela.oz> george@ditmela.oz (George michaelson) writes:
>"better red than dead" stance, and a self-publicist of many years standing

I think you mean "better dead than red" !!!!!!!!! By the way nobody has
pointed out that MI6 does not actually exist....... Try the book "Who's
Watching You?" by Crispin Aubrey for a run down on the British Spooks.

L.

--
Lindsay F. Marshall, Computing Lab., U of Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne & Wear, UK
ARPA:  lindsay%cheviot.newcastle@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk