[sci.crypt] VMS password hacker

ecs140w020@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000005648;4000;250;215;ecs140w) (03/06/88)

Bunkersoft of Mountain View has a VMS password hacker
available for $30 (source code) from

Bunkersoft
PO Box 4436
Mountain View CA
94040-4436

The method used is a brute force attack. However, because of the
nature of the VMS password file, SYSPRV or CMKRNL is required for
a short window of time before running. I ran this program on my
installation at work; it found 35% of all passwords.

Since HPWD is a proprietary DEC code, a batch file is given to
extract this information from LOGINOUT.EXE. I believe this program
is aimed at security managers etc.

ecs140w020@deneb.ucdavis.edu
ucdavis!deneb!ecs140w020

robert@johnny.cs.unlv.edu (Robert Cray) (03/11/88)

In article <1315@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu> ecs140w020@deneb.ucdavis.edu (0000;0000005648;4000;250;215;ecs140w) writes:
>Bunkersoft of Mountain View has a VMS password hacker
>available for $30 (source code) from
[...]
>Since HPWD is a proprietary DEC code, a batch file is given to
>extract this information from LOGINOUT.EXE. I believe this program
>is aimed at security managers etc.

Someone posted the source to lgi$hpwd on info-vax a while ago.  I'm suprised
DEC does not make available a call to do this, which would also do the same
accounting that goes on in loginout.  Can anyone whos looked at the code
comment on how secure it is?  I don't know macro-32, and have no intention
of learning it.  Quite annoying that so many vms programs are in macro.

						--robert