[sci.crypt] Arbitrary Precision Library

pgil@sphinx.uchicago.edu (paul gilna) (03/31/88)

In article <6051@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, jjwlisenchuk@rose.waterloo.edu (Jason Lisenchuk) writes:
> I plan to write a C program to implement the RSA (Rivest-Shamir-Adleman)
> Public Key Cryptosystem....
>
> Alternatively, please inform me if you know of any robust RSA programs.

Before you go investing much time in this pursuit, you should know that
RSA Data Security, Inc. of Redwood City, CA is actively defending it's
exclusive license of MIT's RSA patent.  While this isn't supposed to be
an algorithm patent, they have sued us (DIGITAL SIGNATURE of Chicago, IL)
in U.S. District Court over our software implementation of an RSA/DES
hybrid cryptosystem (the package also includes pure RSA).  Even though
we've had minimal commercial success with our package they felt it
necessary to take action against us.  We appear to be about to reach an
out-of-court settlement of the matter, but take my word for it, the
experience has been expensive and none too pleasant.

The best bet at this point seems to be to raise the $3000 or so it would
cost to have the patent office review their claims (many of which are
rediculous).  But even this will probably involve quite a fight, as they
appear to have raised a substantial amount of venture capital and are
quite willing to throw much of it away on legal fees.

Michael J. Markowitz
Digital Signature
5453 S. Woodlawn
Chicago, IL  60615
(312) 324-6533

(please do not reply by EMAIL as this isn't my account--thanks.)

--
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!pgil,   BITNET: pgil@sphinx.UChicago.edu
Analogue: (312) 702-6971                VOICE:  Hullo, um, is Paul there?