[sci.crypt] encrypted mail

dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) (03/27/88)

Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
to arpanet?  The purpose is to provide some moderate security for
information and data mailed over public networks to and from UNIX systems.
The sender and receiver of the email would both know a private key.

Dean Radin
Department of Psychology	UNIX: ...princeton!mind!dean
Princeton University 		ARPA: dean@mind.princeton.edu

In article <2032@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
>tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
>to arpanet?

??  Why not just do what you said:  Encrypt a file using crypt and
e-mail it via a gateway.

By the way, you should check whether ARPAnet rules permit encrypted
traffic.  I don't know, but it is possible that they don't.

bks@unisoft.UUCP (Brian K. Shiratsuki) (04/03/88)

In article <2032@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
>tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
>to arpanet?

why not compress the file, crypt it, then uuencode it.  the party on the
other end would uudecode the file, decrypt and uncompress it.
--

				brian

jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt) (04/05/88)

}
}why not compress the file, crypt it, then uuencode it.  the party on the
}other end would uudecode the file, decrypt and uncompress it.

Done it.  works.

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (04/05/88)

In article <889@unisoft.UUCP> bks@unisoft.UUCP (Brian K. Shiratsuki) writes:
>In article <2032@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>>Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
>>tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
>>to arpanet?

You can also use the Elm mailer which has encryption as a built in option.

--Jon

--
Jon Zeeff           		Branch Technology,
uunet!umix!b-tech!zeeff  	zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

arosen@eagle.ulowell.edu (MFHorn) (04/06/88)

In article <4394@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>In article <2032@mind.UUCP> dean@mind.UUCP (Dean Radin) writes:
>>>Does anyone know a way to encrypt a file (using standard UNIX
>>>tools like crypt or other methods) that will be emailed from usenet
>>>to arpanet?
>
>You can also use the Elm mailer which has encryption as a built in option.

So how do you do this?  I looked in the man page and the help files for elm
and couldn't find anything on encrypting mail.  I suppose you could do it by
setting the E)ditor to 'vi -x' and D)isplay using to 'crypt | less', but that's
side-stepping the issue.

Andy Rosen           | arosen@hawk.ulowell.edu | "I got this guitar and I
ULowell, Box #3031   | ulowell!arosen          |  learned how to make it
Lowell, Ma 01854     |                         |  talk" -Thunder Road
                   RD in '88 - The way it should be