[sci.crypt] VCR PLUS+ ...PSSST...WHAT'S THE CODE?

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (05/02/91)

In article <GUEST.91Apr29180522@geech.ai.mit.edu> guest@geech.ai.mit.edu
(Guest Account) writes:
>For those of you who have heard of VCR PLUS+, does anyone know how the
>date, channel, start time and stop time are encoded into the program
>number?  Here are examples:

I'm curious about this too.  I doubt these guys hired professional
cryptographers to design their encoding scheme, so i bet it's not hard to
break.  Does anyone have information on the scheme?  Failing that, does anyone
have a large number of examples they'd like to send me?
--
Joe Keane, amateur cryptographer
jgk@osc.com (...!uunet!stratus!osc!jgk)

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (05/03/91)

Why do you assume that they did not hire cryptographers?

The company that makes this thing is in Pasadena, California.
The only rational reason a company making a gadget like this
would be in Pasadena would be if they are from Caltech or JPL
or both.

Assuming that they want to protect these codes, I would expect
people from Caltech or JPL to be smart enough to either hire
a cryptographer or to learn enough about cryptography themselves
to make this a hard problem.

					Tim Smith

ps: I think that they can make this problem very hard without
using sophisticated cryptographic methods.  For instance, with
100K or so of ROM (quite feasible in a device this size), they
could simply use a table lookup scheme as part of the encoding
process.  If these tables are well constructed, to break this you
might either have to have a nearly complete set of encodings, or
take the device apart and disassemble the software.