[misc.misc] humanity

mcb@styx.UUCP (Michael C. Berch) (10/14/86)

In article <502@ptsfd.UUCP> djo@ptsfd.UUCP (Dan'l Oakes) writes:
> . . .
> And you, in turn, have a valid point IF you accept that making money is
> a fortiori a non-aggressive action.  In particular, the stance required
> is that making money in excess of the needs of yourself -- and, of course,
> your dependents (if any) for the necessities of life (food, clothing, shelter,
> education, and a basic level of recreation) is a non-aggressive action.  In
> personal terms, that is to say "My need for a new VCR takes precedence over
> any desire I may have to see that fellow over there fed,"and to feel that this
> is not in any way an act of aggression against that-fellow-over-there.

Well, in reality, all of us implicitly make this kind of decision
every time we spent a cent on anything except charity, e.g., "My need
to buy groceries takes precedence over sending my entire net assets to
USA for Africa." How this can be viewed as an act of aggression
against anyone escapes me, and I assume that Mr. Oakes is not taking
up that particular point of view. Perhaps he can elucidate.

I also assume that Mr. Clayton's "making money" is shorthand for
"making money in a lawful, non-coercive manner" and I have taken it as
such.

Michael C. Berch
ARPA: mcb@lll-tis-b.ARPA
UUCP: {ihnp4,dual,sun}!lll-lcc!styx!mcb