[misc.misc] Aiiiiigh!

drw@cullvax.UUCP (03/09/87)

dant@tekla.tek.com.tek.com (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60sB) writes:
> It seems that on the machine where
> the language was developed (at Stanford, I think; don't know what machine)

MIT, you fool!

> there were two registers: a Current Address Register (CAR) and a Current
> Decrement Register (CDR).

The machine was some sort of IBM 7xx series.  The whole story in in
the "Lisp 1.5 Reference Manual" (or some such) written by John
McCarthy and published by the *MIT* Press.

Dale
(Grumble!  Snort!  *Stanford* weenies invent Lisp?  Hah!)
--
Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

dmt@mtunb.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <890@cullvax.UUCP> drw@cullvax.UUCP (Dale Worley) writes:
>dant@tekla.tek.com.tek.com (Dan Tilque;1893;92-789;LP=A;60sB) writes:
>> It seems that on the machine where
>> the language was developed (at Stanford, I think; don't know what machine)
>
>MIT, you fool!
	True, but not everyone on the net has been around >25 years and
	remembers it.

>> there were two registers: a Current Address Register (CAR) and a Current
>> Decrement Register (CDR).
	CAR and CDR stand for (respectively)
	CONTENTS of Address Register, and CONTENTS of Decrement Register.
	The two registers contained pointers to the next nodes of the tree.

>The machine was some sort of IBM 7xx series.
	It was a 7094, which was the premier computer of the time.  MIT
	had one, the main machine in its Comp Center.  Another WAS the
	Bell Labs Comp Center in Murray Hill.  To give you some idea of
	its power, main memory was 32Kwords of 36 bits each, with a
	cycle time of 1 microsecond.  The OS was a single-tasking system
	that makes MS-DOS look smooth by comparison.
	(Yes, I know about the 7030 [STRETCH], but it was never really
	commercially "available", always a "beta test", and the 7074
	was strictly a "business" computer.  The 7094 was THE big machine
	for research labs.)

>The whole story in in
>the "Lisp 1.5 Reference Manual" (or some such) written by John
>McCarthy and published by the *MIT* Press.
>
>Dale
>(Grumble!  Snort!  *Stanford* weenies invent Lisp?  Hah!)
	I never even considered Stanford when selecting grad studies
	in "computers" (no CS depts) in 1962.  At the time, MIT was
	definitely where the action was.  Stanford's current eminence
	started later.

>--
>Dale Worley		Cullinet Software
>UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw
>ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T  -  Lincroft, NJ				|
|    Logical -  ...ihnp4!mtuxo!mtunb!dmt			|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|