[misc.misc] Interactive fiction

hadeishi@husc7.UUCP (05/12/87)

Re: Interactive Fiction

	In the last issue of BYTE magazine a LISP-like interactive
fiction authoring system was described.  The listing is in C and is
available on BIX.  Anyone with a BIX account like to download it and
post it to some newsgroup that we all have access to?  I for one wouldn't
mind porting the thing to the Amiga, and I'm sure others would enjoy porting
it to their respective systems.  Since it is written totally in C it
should be relatively easy to port to any C-equipped system.  I presume
the author wrote it on a IBM-PC so there may be PC-specific code which
would clearly have to be modified; hopefully not.  It looks VERY nice; it
supports "verb noun preposition noun", conjunctions (as in "verb noun
and noun preposition noun", where "noun" can be things like "the big
red book" and so on.  I've written such a system in AmigaBasic which
has a similar level of parser complexity, but of course the LISP syntax
makes the adventure system much nicer; in particular you specify rooms
by name, objects can have arbitraily long property lists, and objects
can have different sets of properties (i.e., not all objects have to
have all of the possible properties) and so on.  Very nice.

				-Mitsu

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu (Pierce T. Wetter) (05/13/87)

>	In the last issue of BYTE magazine a LISP-like interactive
>fiction authoring system was described.  The listing is in C and is
>available on BIX.  Anyone with a BIX account like to download it and
>post it to some newsgroup that we all have access to?  I for one wouldn't

The program you are referring to is called ADVSYS, and there is a mac version
on Sumex-aim.stanford.edu under directory info-mac.
  Pierce
Wetter

California, n.:
	From Latin "calor", meaning "heat" (as in English "calorie" or
Spanish "caliente"); and "fornia'" for "sexual intercourse" or
"fornication."  Hence: Tierra de California, "the land of hot sex."
		-- Ed Moran

wetter@tybalt.caltech.edu

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (05/13/87)

Somebody named Perry at Xerox Palo Alto tried something like this a few
years ago.  The whole thing was called "YAFA" which probably meant Yet
Another Fantasy Adventure.  The story went along in chunks: somebody
would write a chunk and send it out, then the next person. An
entertaining story line ensued, with some perceptible style differences
as different authors contributed.
--
Scientists will study your brain to learn more about your distant cousin, Man.

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (05/14/87)

Could someone please get the ADVSYS program from Sumex-aim.stanford and post
it here and the 68000 microcomputer groups.  Then perhaps someone could be
interested (Mitsu?) in porting it to other machines, if that hasn't already
been done.  I haven't the foggiest idea how to get or I would do it myself.
Thanks,
                               Adam
engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (05/16/87)

Could everyone who is posting a note on interactive fiction please only post
to misc.misc for now?  That way those who aren't interested won't have to
read about it and suffer terribly.  Thanks to all those who have either
written to misc.misc or written to me personally!  And to all those who have
asked me about a definition of interactive fiction, try reading misc.misc,
since that is where we are working out a definition.  About a mailing list:
I am not going to set one up, mostly because I have about a 60% chance of
getting mail to someone who writes to me, and it isn't fair to keep some
people from talking about interactive fiction just because I can't figure
out how to get mail to them.  So the moral of the story is - if you want to
read about/write about interactive fiction, do it on misc.misc.
                      Thanks,
                         Adam Engst
engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (07/08/87)

    For those of you who cannot (or don't want to) read the Usenet or Bitnet
discussion groups on interactive fiction we are back in mailing list form.
If you want to send mail to the list, the address is . . . . . . . . . .
Just include "Interactive fiction" on the Subject line so the moderator can
separate it out from the adventure game discussion messages.  If you want to
add yourself to the mailing list (so you get digests every day or so) send a
request to  . . . . . . . .
and ask to be added.  You can also ask to be deleted from the list, ask for
archived mail, or report a mailer failure at the request address.  I will be
sending the messages that come from Bitnet and Usenet as well, so everyone
will have access to all the messages.  If anyone has any questions, just
email me at either of the below addresses and I'll try to help.  Thanks a
lot for the discussion up to now and I hope that it will improve even more
with the increased audience.

                                               Adam C. Engst

engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet