[misc.misc] Who is J. Mnemonic?

arnold@mucs.UX.CS.MAN.AC.UK (Toby Howard) (09/26/87)

Who or what is Johnny Mnemonic?

[This is a shared account. Please ignore the From: field, and use the
 following address. Thanks.]

Toby Howard      Computer Graphics Unit, Manchester University, UK.
                 janet: thoward@uk.ac.man.cs.cgu
                 internet: thoward%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk

keith@uhccux.UUCP (09/28/87)

In article <1284@mucs.UX.CS.MAN.AC.UK> thoward%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
>Who or what is Johnny Mnemonic?

That's a short story written by William Gibson (Neuromancer,Count Zero)
quite awhile ago.  I don't remember the details, but it predates Neuromancer.
--
INTERNET: keith@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu    PLATO: keith/uhcc/hawaii
UUCP:     {ihnp4,uunet,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!keith

garvey@blic.BLI.COM (Robert Garvey) (10/06/87)

In article <890@uhccux.UUCP>, keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita) writes:
> In article <1284@mucs.UX.CS.MAN.AC.UK> thoward%cgu.cs.man.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk (Toby Howard) writes:
> >Who or what is Johnny Mnemonic?
> >
> That's a short story written by William Gibson (Neuromancer,Count Zero)
> quite awhile ago.  I don't remember the details, but it predates Neuromancer.

William Gibson wrote three stories with the near-future world that was
later the setting for _Neuromancer_ and _Count Zero_.  Omni published
``Johnny Mnemonic'', ``New Rose Hotel'', and ``Burning Chrome'' in
1981, 1982, and 1985 respectively.  The title of the last is also the
title of a collection of short stories by William Gibson, the Ace
paperback (ISBN 0-441-08934-8) published this month, October of 1987.

_Burning Chrome_ is a good introduction for those unfamiliar with
William Gibson's work.  The three stories set in the Sprawl are
especially interesting if you've read _Neuromancer_ and _Count Zero_.

--
Robert Garvey
uucp:   ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!garvey or {pyramid|voder}!blia!garvey