[misc.misc] Einstein's relativity and daily life

jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) (09/25/87)

What would YOU answer to the following:

Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?

Some guys want to produce Yet Another Popular Video On Relativity: YAPVOR.
It is intended for the general public, the more general, the better.
They asked the question and I answered: none; promising to ask you too.

I suppose the idea behind the question is clear to you, but let me explain
some interpretations of the question, which are certainly NOT meant.

U1. To unknow ETR is NOT meant to imply that physical
phenomena would actually be different form the known phenomena.
U2. To virtually change anything in human history, like ETR,
is NOT meant to imply that EVERYthing could be
different now (which probably would be the case though).
U3. "Things not existing" are NOT meant to point to Philosophical
Implications of ETR, except perhaps, if they are determinants of many
people's everyday life.

I'll be glad with any answer, but please keep in mind these exclusions,
since the YAPVOR makers aim to explain things in terms of everybody's common
experience.

Some answers (and some comments):
A1. No nuclear energy, nor bombs. (????).
A2. No lasers. (??; hardly common experience).
A3. No high-energy physics research (!!!!; no common experience).

By the way, do you like the idea:
"The only commonly-known physicist's theory is without practical value".

Hope to read from you. Bye now. Jona@nikhefh.uucp
P.S. Please forgive me my Dutch.

smoliar@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (09/29/87)

In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP> jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:

>What would YOU answer to the following:
>
>Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
>exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?
>
>Some answers (and some comments):

>A2. No lasers. (??; hardly common experience).

Hardly?  I think not.  Certainly compact disc players have reached a point
of abundance where they can count as "common experience."  Also, in this
country it is getting increasingly difficult to find a merchant that does
not use a laser-scanned price code.  Lasers have very much become a part
of everyday life, to the point that often we don't notice them.

kwe@bu-cs.BU.EDU (kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent W. England)) (09/29/87)

In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP> jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:

>What would YOU answer to the following:
>
>Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
>exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?

Very interesting.  The first "practical application" of relativistic
effects in a "product" was in a Defense Dept navigation system called
the "Global Positioning System (GPS)".  GPS is currently in service to
the US military in "super-accurate" mode and to civilians in coarse
mode, like shippers and surveyors, who can pay for a GPS receiver
which was $50k three years ago when I last worked on navigation
systems.

GPS uses a constellation of satellites traveling well-tracked routes
and the Doppler effect to let the receiver determine precisely where
it is and how fast it is going.  GPS is quite an advance in
satellite-based nav systems.

So where does relativity come in?  Well, the satellites are 'up there'
a hundred miles where the gravity/acceleration field is different.
GPS is so accurate that they need a relativistic correction to the
satellite clocks (cesium, I believe) to keep them in sync with
terrestrial clocks.  First instance, I believe.

It's been a while since I thought 'nav'.  It would be interesting if
anyone out there knew more details of the relativistic correction.
Unlikely, I guess, unless there is some other refugee from the Stars
Wars universe on this internet.

So if you are a sailor or you are out on the high seas looking for oil
or sunken treasure, know that Einstein had much to do with how well
you know where you are in that big pool of water.
     Kent W. England                      |       Boston University
     Network & Systems Engineering Group  |       Information Technology
     kwe@bu-it.bu.edu        internet     |       111 Cummington Street
     itkwe@bostonu           BITnet       |       Boston, MA      02215
     harvard!bu-cs!kwe       UUCP         |       (617) 353-2780

willner@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Willner) (10/01/87)

In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP>, jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:
> Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
> exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?

It's hard to separate any development that came after relativity from
the influence of relativity.  Quantum mechanics, for example, is not
directly dependent on relativity, but I believe the prime developers
were greatly influenced by Einstein's approach.  However, I'll assume
that your question means what if the Schroedinger equation were known
but not the Dirac equation.  (If the Schroedinger equation goes away,
so do transistors and integrated circuits, among other things.)

Without the Dirac equation, I don't believe we would understand
nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) or be able to use the phenomenon in
analysis.  (I'm not very knowledgeable in this field, so experts
please correct these comments.)

NMR has been used for many years in organic chemistry and more
recently in biochemistry to determine molecular structures.  While we
would certainly have some sorts of plastics without NMR, I doubt we
would have anything like the vast number and variety tailored for
specific properties that we have today.  Nor would we have most of
the synthetic fibers or products like Teflon, Tyvek, and lots of
others.  I'm not sure about application to pharmaceuticals, but I
suspect that many drugs would not exist and the biochemical actions
of others would not be understood.

NMR has also been used for a few years now for medical imaging.
(It's referred to as "magnetic resonance imaging" or "MRI" to avoid
negative public reaction to the word "nuclear").  It probably saved
my brother's life a couple of years ago, when doctors were able to
use MRI to find soft tissue problems that didn't show up on X-rays or
CAT scans.

Another application that comes to mind is X-ray diffraction analysis,
which is widely used for studying crystals of all kinds.  Studies of
semiconductors and viruses probably have had the greatest practical
effects, but I'm not really sure how important the relativistic
corrections are.

Finally, if you are willing to accept intangibles, how about the
reassurance that the Sun will not become a nova or supernova?
Relativity is crucial in understanding the processes that actually
cause novae and supernovae, and we now know that these processes are
not important in the Sun.

>  By the way, do you like the idea:
> "The only commonly-known physicist's theory is without practical value".

No.
--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123          Bitnet: willner@cfa2
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa

willner@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Willner) (10/02/87)

In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP>, jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:
> Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
> exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?

Certainly no particle accelerators of any sort.  Particle
accelerators are now being used for medical treatment.  And aren't
synchrotron light sources used to make masks for VLSI circuits?  If
so, no personal computers or modern telephone switching systems.

No nuclear reactors (suggested in the original posting) is almost
certainly right.  (Though they might conceivably be developed
entirely empirically.)  If so, no radioisotopes.  These are used in
medicine and are also widely used as tracers in both plant and animal
physiology.  We would certainly not understand photosynthesis, for
example.  Wouldn't this have an effect on modern farming?
--
Steve Willner            Phone 617-495-7123          Bitnet: willner@cfa2
60 Garden St.            FTS:      830-7123           UUCP:   willner@cfa
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA                     ARPA: willner@cfa.harvard.edu

ins_atge@jhunix.UUCP (Thomas G Edwards) (10/02/87)

 what would the state of microelectronics be without etr?
would we have transistors (i don't think there is a direct link)...
light emitting diodes would probably be a better guess.
we sure would not have squid's.
  -thomas g edwards
"artificial life lives!"

daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) (10/02/87)

In article <695@cfa.cfa.harvard.EDU>, willner@cfa.harvard.EDU (Steve Willner) writes:
> In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP>, jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:
> > Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
> > exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?
>
> Certainly no particle accelerators of any sort.  Particle
> accelerators are now being used for medical treatment.  And aren't
> synchrotron light sources used to make masks for VLSI circuits?

Umm.  If i remember rightly (which is a big if), cyclotrons stop working
because of relativistic effects; so cyclotrons, anyway, would still be
around.

I doubt that synchroton radiation is used in any commercial mask
manufacturing step, so nobody would miss it (yet).

> No nuclear reactors (suggested in the original posting) is almost
> certainly right.  (Though they might conceivably be developed
> entirely empirically.)  If so, no radioisotopes.

How do they get the Americium that is used in ionic fire detectors?
Time for the old CRC...it says something about Americium being produced
by intense neutron bombardment of Plutonium.  So, fire detectors, by
kind of a circuitous route.

david rickel
decwrl!sci!daver

sarge@thirdi.UUCP (Sarge Gerbode) (10/03/87)

How about keeping the discussion to sci.physics?  Seems like sending to five
newsgroups is cluttering things up a bit.
--
"Absolute knowledge means never having to change your mind."

Sarge Gerbode
Institute for Research in Metapsychology
950 Guinda St.
Palo Alto, CA 94301
UUCP:  pyramid!thirdi!sarge

domo@riddle.UUCP (Dominic Dunlop) (10/05/87)

In article <391@nikhefh.UUCP> jona@nikhefh.UUCP (Jona Oberski) writes:

>What would YOU answer to the following:
>
>Question: Which things - common instruments, consumergoods, etc. - would not
>exist if we would not have Einstein's Theory of Relativity: "ETR"?

>A2. No lasers. (??; hardly common experience).

Just to be pedantic -- my specialty (or was that speciality?) -- are not
lasers a consequence of the teachings of quantum theory -- God playing
dice, and all that?  I don't think relativity has much to do with
understanding the operation of the things, although, once working, they
make excellent tools for investigating relativistic effects.

Dominic Dunlop
domo@riddle.uucp  domo@sphinx.co.uk

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (10/09/87)

In article <756@elbereth.rutgers.edu> cje@elbereth.rutgers.edu (Cthulhu's Jersey Epopt) writes:
>Beg pardon?  Is our understanding of photosynthesis really so recent that it
>depended on radioactive tracers?  I'm not disputing this; it's just that the
>claim comes as quite a surprise to me.

Yes.  Melvin Calvin got the Nobel Prize for this.  The technique was
essentially, you have some algae photosynthesizing in a flask, through
which is bubbling CO2.  You introduce some radioactive CO2 into the
stream, wait 5 seconds, and dump the algae into a vat of alcohol and dry
ice, which kills them and stops the reaction.  Then you spend a few weeks
determining what all the radioactive carbon compounds you found were.

When you're done with that, repeat the experiment, but this time wait 10
seconds.  Then 15 seconds.  Then ...

Variations with radioactive oxygen, strobe lamps instead of continuous
illumination, algae in the dark or exposed to different wavelengths of
light, etc., give you some of the boundary conditions.  Don't forget to
use several diferent kinds of algae to confirm your results.

A few hundred or thousand experiments like that, and you know exactly
what's going on, and even how fast.

If you want an even better example of how radioisotopes are used in biology,
take a look at radioimmunoassay.  Especially the sensitivity figures.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	...!{oliveb,...}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard	<- works