[misc.misc] Contact lenses in mirror-finish

tim@reed.UUCP (Timothy R. Flanagan) (11/09/87)

I am interested in getting contact lenses with a mirror finish like
some sunglasses.  I understand that it is now possible to get
contacts which give one's eyes a color *lighter* than one's original
color.  I have dark brown eyes, for instance, but I could get lenses
which would make my eyes look light blue.  Given this fact, is it not
therefore possible to make contacts which make my eyes chrome, i.e.
mirror-shades?  I am absolutely serious.  Think of it at a sort of
"fashion statement".

What is it that makes a contact lense a different color?
How is it that one can cover up one's natural color with a lighter one?
How does this affect one's sight?  (is it like looking through dark
	glasses all the time?)
Can this be done with both hard and soft contact lenses?
Assuming I had prescription lenses made with a metallic finish, how
	much would they cost?

Strange request, I realize, but someone out there just might know...
--
				Timothy Russell Flanagan
				reed!tim

hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (the big guy with the funny accent) (11/11/87)

In article <7675@reed.UUCP> tim@reed.UUCP (Timothy R. Flanagan) writes-
}
}What is it that makes a contact lense a different color?
}How is it that one can cover up one's natural color with a lighter one?
}How does this affect one's sight?  (is it like looking through dark
}	glasses all the time?)

I believe the contact lenses which lighten the color of your eyes are called
opaque lenses. They work by being opaque (e.g. with a blue coating) except for
a clear part in the center for the pupil to look through.

I don't see myself wearing mirror-finish lenses, but if photosensitive lenses
came out I would get a pair so that I could dispense with sunglasses. If they
can make photosensitive eyeglasses, I don't see why they can't make
photosensitive lenses.

 - Hugh Dunne

"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work.
 I want to achieve immortality through not dying" - Woody Allen
Hugh Dunne	   | Internet: amethyst!hdunne@arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.     | UUCP: ..{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!hdunne
Univ. of Arizona   | Bitnet: hdunne@arizrvax
Tucson, AZ  85721  | Phone: +1 602 621 6893  /  +1 602 621 4766

mms@utgpu.UUCP (11/11/87)

In article <7675@reed.UUCP> tim@reed.UUCP (Timothy R. Flanagan) writes:
> I am interested in getting contact lenses with a mirror finish like
> some sunglasses.  I understand that it is now possible to get
> contacts which give one's eyes a color *lighter* than one's original
> color.  I have dark brown eyes, for instance, but I could get lenses
> which would make my eyes look light blue.  Given this fact, is it not
> therefore possible to make contacts which make my eyes chrome, i.e.
> mirror-shades?  I am absolutely serious.  Think of it at a sort of
> "fashion statement".
>
> What is it that makes a contact lense a different color?
> How is it that one can cover up one's natural color with a lighter one?
> How does this affect one's sight?  (is it like looking through dark
> 	glasses all the time?)
> Can this be done with both hard and soft contact lenses?
> Assuming I had prescription lenses made with a metallic finish, how
> 	much would they cost?

I looked into this a few years ago, and came to the conclusion that
this wasn't yet possible.  All contact lenses are slightly tinted
with a material that is mixed in with the actual lens material (i.e.
not a coating).  This is to compensate for some unexplained phenomenon
that causes people to perceive the world through untinted contacts
as "too bright".  For cosmetic purposes, this tint can be intensified
and does result in some reduction in perceived light intensity.

Any mirror-shades would have to actually have a coating on one side
of the lens, which raises all sorts of problems.  You have to find
a coating that is reasonably oxygen-permeable, non-toxic and non-
irritating and that won't dissolve with prolonged exposure to your
eyes.  I couldn't think of such a material, but if anyone can,
let me know!
--
john j. chew (v3.0)                       poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
+1 416 463 5403 (300/1200 bps)            poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet

mikep@ism780c.UUCP (Michael A. Petonic) (11/11/87)

In article <436@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (the big guy with the funny accent) writes:
>In article <7675@reed.UUCP> tim@reed.UUCP (Timothy R. Flanagan) writes-
>}What is it that makes a contact lense a different color?
>}How is it that one can cover up one's natural color with a lighter one?
>}How does this affect one's sight?  (is it like looking through dark
>}	glasses all the time?)
>
>I don't see myself wearing mirror-finish lenses, but if photosensitive lenses
>came out I would get a pair so that I could dispense with sunglasses. If they
>can make photosensitive eyeglasses, I don't see why they can't make
>photosensitive lenses.

As the owner of some opaque contact lenses, I can give a pretty good
description of how they work.  Basically, they're average
extended wear soft contact with coloring on it to make it
look like you have blue, green, aqua, ... eyes.  There are also
patterns on the lenses to make the lenses look real.

The effect, from a distance of 2' or more away, look astoundingly
real.  They don't just change your eye color, but seem to change
your whole face.  Pretty good investment (around $300), but I
got mine as a B-Day gift, so I ain't complaining about the
price.  BTW:  Although the lenses are advertised for around
$80 per lens, don't beleive it.  Right now, with the ``package''
deal that most offer (including exam, lenses, and cleaning kit)
it's around $300.  I had heat treatment before and you can't
use that with colored extended wear (supposedly).

BTW:  I don't think they can make photochromatic contact lenses.
They can't even make photochromatic plastic eyeglass lenses,
they have to be glass.  Can you imagine putting a peice of glass
in your eye???

-MikeP

hollombe@ttidca.UUCP (11/11/87)

In article <7675@reed.UUCP> tim@reed.UUCP (Timothy R. Flanagan) writes:
>I am interested in getting contact lenses with a mirror finish like
>some sunglasses. ...

>How is it that one can cover up one's natural color with a lighter one?

As I understand it, they use an opaque pigment to put tiny dots of the
desired color on the lens everywhere but over the center.  Sort of a
screen effect.

>How does this affect one's sight?  (is it like looking through dark
>	glasses all the time?)

Supposedly not.

>Can this be done with both hard and soft contact lenses?

I think so, but I'm not sure.

>Assuming I had prescription lenses made with a metallic finish, how
>	much would they cost?

No idea.

BTW, this isn't a new idea.  Several SF movies have featured aliens played
by actors with silvered contact lenses.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@TTI.COM)   Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                           Carborundum

ron@topaz.rutgers.edu (Ron Natalie) (11/11/87)

> I don't see myself wearing mirror-finish lenses, but if photosensitive
> lenses came out I would get a pair so that I could dispense with
> sunglasses.  If they can make photosensitive eyeglasses, I don't see
> why they can't make photosensitive lenses.

Probably because they haven't figured out how to make photosensitive
plastic yet.  All the eyeglasses I've seen that change are glass.

-Ron

wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (11/12/87)

In article <436@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu> hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (the big guy with the funny accent) writes:

>I don't see myself wearing mirror-finish lenses, but if photosensitive lenses
>came out I would get a pair so that I could dispense with sunglasses. If they
>can make photosensitive eyeglasses, I don't see why they can't make
>photosensitive lenses.

	Photo-grey eyeglasses are glass.  Contacts are plastic.  I do not
think Dow-Corning has figured out how to make photo-grey plastic.

/\/\ \/\/

--
Michael R. Wayne  ***  TMC & Associates  ***  INTERNET: wayne@ford-vax.arpa
uucp: {philabs | pyramid} !fmsrl7!wayne   OR   wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP
>> If you own an MPulse, please contact me to exchange info and experiences <<

hdunne@amethyst.UUCP (11/12/87)

In article <2519@calmasd.GE.COM> jnp@calmasd.GE.COM (John Pantone) writes-
}
}Contact lenses are not made of glass - no photosensitive contacts yet.
}
What about hard lenses? There are still actually some people who wear them,
including moi.

-Hugh Dunne

todd@reed.UUCP (11/13/87)

>> I am interested in getting contact lenses with a mirror finish like
>> some sunglasses.  I understand that it is now possible to get
>> contacts which give one's eyes a color *lighter* than one's original
>> color.
>
>I looked into this a few years ago, and came to the conclusion that
>this wasn't yet possible.

There was an article in the Portland Oregonian a couple of months ago on the
subject.  There is a new process for coloring lenses so that they can be of a
lighter shade than the original eyes.  Instead of tinting, the contact lenses
are impregnated with flecks of some reasonably transparent colored material.
The pictures were striking. The model had eyes that were naturally dark brown,
but they looked _bright_blue_ with those things in.  I don't know if the lenses
are hard, soft, or both. I don't see why metallic colored flakes would be any
more difficult.

Me, I'm waiting for mirrored _scleral_ contacts. I want to paint myself some
shocking shade of blue or violet, sit out on the beach, and just blink at
people........

													Todd Ellner
													tektronix!reed!todd

ugcherk@sunybcs.uucp (Kevin Cherkauer) (11/13/87)

In article <4343@fmsrl7.UUCP> wayne@fmsrl7.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:
>	Photo-grey eyeglasses are glass.  Contacts are plastic.  I do not
>think Dow-Corning has figured out how to make photo-grey plastic.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but are there not devices in existence called
HARD CONTACTS? And are not these hard contacts made of GLASS?!?

Remember, for years wimps couldn't wear contact lenses because they didn't
have soft mushy plastic watery gas-permeable lenses. REAL men (and women) had
to put GLASS in their eyes. Those who couldn't take it had to go without.
:-)

Seriously, though, aren't hard contacts made of glass? I always thought so,
and my sister used to have them. You know -- the ones that pop out all the
time and eventually cause corneal problems?

So if you *really* want photogrey lenses enough to suffer even MORE than
the large amount of suffering even the softest lenses put every user through,
you can always go back to glass, right? Why hasn't anyone said this before
(if they have, I missed it -- sorry)?

 --                               --  Kev  --                                --

SPOCK: "I suggest we use Truth Serum, Captain!"

NAAAAAWWW. Why don't we just put his brain in a tractor beam and DRAG the truth
  out of him?!

..sunybcs!ugcherk                           "Hey, man... What planet is this?"

stuart@cs.rochester.edu (Stuart Friedberg) (11/14/87)

In article <6516@sunybcs.UUCP>, ugcherk@sunybcs.uucp (Kevin Cherkauer) writes:
> Somebody tell me if I'm wrong, but are there not devices in existence called
> HARD CONTACTS? And are not these hard contacts made of GLASS?!?
> Seriously, though, aren't hard contacts made of glass?

Not a flame, but a correction.  You are wrong.  I have worn hard
contacts for nine years.  They are made of plastic.  Not glass,
plastic.

Stu Friedberg

jgold@cc6.bbn.com.BBN.COM (Jamie Gold) (11/14/87)

In article <7716@reed.UUCP> todd@reed.UUCP (Todd Ellner) writes:
>Me, I'm waiting for mirrored _scleral_ contacts. I want to paint myself some
>shocking shade of blue or violet, sit out on the beach, and just blink at
>people........

Why bother with the contacts? Those little goggles you get at a suntan
parlor will get you the reaction you want at the beach.  Especially
yellow ones.

-- jamie
"There's a seeker born every minute."