[misc.misc] Designing a human/doggie powered vehicle

ss6@sdcc15.UUCP (Mark Laxer) (01/16/88)

Hi!  Two summers ago, I bicycled from Boston to Berkeley with my Siberian
Husky pup--Nunatak.  She ran 7-8 miles per day, but mostly she sat
contentedly in a trailer which I pulled.

Isn't the dog supposed to be pulling you, midwesterners asked, suppressing
gaffaws.  I agree--the dog should earn her keep.  However, I believe it
would be both inefficient and dangerous for her to pull anything except a
sled across a snow-field...

Therefore, I am researching the idea of building an apparatus which I call a
DogPed, or a Doggie Powered Vehicle (DPV).  Naturally, it will be attached
to a Human Powered Vehicle (HPV).

If you have any suggestions how I might go about designing and interfacing
the components of this hybrid contraption, or if you have ideas about how I
SHOULDN'T configure it, I heartily welcome your response.

			Thank you,

			Mark Laxer
			ss6@sdcc15%sdcsvax

			1237 Camino Del Mar, #C-256
			Del Mar, CA 92014
            USA

king@kestrel.ARPA (Dick King) (01/19/88)

   From: ss6@sdcc15.UUCP (Mark Laxer)
   Newsgroups: rec.bicycles,sci.misc,misc.wanted,misc.misc
   Date: 16 Jan 88 00:25:03 GMT

   Hi!  Two summers ago, I bicycled from Boston to Berkeley with my Siberian
   Husky pup--Nunatak.  She ran 7-8 miles per day, but mostly she sat
   contentedly in a trailer which I pulled.

   Isn't the dog supposed to be pulling you, midwesterners asked, suppressing
   gaffaws.  I agree--the dog should earn her keep.  However, I believe it
   would be both inefficient and dangerous for her to pull anything except a
   sled across a snow-field...

   Therefore, I am researching the idea of building an apparatus which I call a
   DogPed, or a Doggie Powered Vehicle (DPV).  Naturally, it will be attached
   to a Human Powered Vehicle (HPV).

I would suggest not asking a Husky to work hard during the summer,
either in Boston or in Berkeley.

			   Thank you,

			   Mark Laxer
			   ss6@sdcc15%sdcsvax

			   1237 Camino Del Mar, #C-256
			   Del Mar, CA 92014
	       USA
-dk

wiz@xroads.UUCP (Mike Carter) (01/19/88)

The club that I am currently a member with owns several such appartus.
We use WOlf Hybrids for this task. ALthough your idea has been used before,
I might point out a few items of concern to you before endevoring the task.

(1) Dogs to be used for any kind of pulling are taught very very early
    and are exercised ** EVERY ** day for this task, otherwise muscles
    not conditioned will either cause severe stress on the animal or
    end up in pulled muscles and torn ligaments.
    Unconditioned animals have frequently died !

(2) Manufacture or purchase some foot pads or "Doggie Boots", otherwise
    asphalt or gravel will and can permanently injure the animals pads.
    Once the pads have been worn down (very quickly on asphalt with
    no load to pull as it is) bleeding and infection can set in quickly
    as the pads literally wear out to the bone.

(3) Untrained animals love to chase cats. I found this out by riding the
    bike while exercising our female turbo-charger, "Tundra". She decided
    the cat was more important than my skin and pulled a quick and
    accelerated 90 degree turn...right in front of me. Guess where I went.

(4) Cars etc can spook the animal if untrained into a suicidal dodge.

I'm not attempting to persuade you not to do this...just to inform you that
if you have any rudementary love for your pet, these are the facts and
hazards before you. I suggest getting a puppie and a lengthy source of
books on dog sledding before torturing your husky.

             -Mike