[misc.misc] A true story

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/08/88)

You've probably been reading about that false story abou the six year old
boy in England who's collecting postcards before he dies.  As you know, this
story is completely false.

However, I will tell you a *true* story.  I am 20 years old, have cancer, and
have only 6 months to live.  Before I die, however, I would like to get into
the Guiness Book for collecting the most 256K RAMs before I die.

Please - everybody - send your 256K RAMs to
Mike Jetzer
123 Fourth Street
Anytown, WI  40788

:-)
--
__
Mike Jetzer

tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) (04/10/88)

In article <100@studsys.mu.edu>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
> You've probably been reading about that false story abou the six year old
> boy in England who's collecting postcards before he dies.  As you know, this
> story is completely false.
>
> However, I will tell you a *true* story.  I am 20 years old, have cancer, and
> have only 6 months to live.  Before I die, however, I would like to get into
> the Guiness Book for collecting the most 256K RAMs before I die.
>
> Please - everybody - send your 256K RAMs to
> Mike Jetzer
> 123 Fourth Street
> Anytown, WI  40788
>
> :-)
> --
> __
> Mike Jetzer
> "If you can't be right, be forceful"
> uwvax!uwmcsd1!marque!studsys!jetzer

I'll Have You Know that THAT ARTICLE ABOUT A YOUNG BOY IN ENGLAND HAVING CANCER
WAS TRUE!

I printed out a copy of the original mailing and sent it to the Milwaukee
Journal and wrote the boy a letter myself.  The Journal called me & told me
that they felt it was a hoax.

For one thing he wasn't asking for anything but post cards to show that the
world cared.  For another thing, I received a very nice reply from the boy's
mother in Birmingham England thanking me for the letter.

She indicated that the boy had just finished 2 years of  chemotherapy for a
large tumor in his pelvic.  She said that he is now in remission and seems
to be doing very well.

"He received his world record of 147,944 postcards and will be going in next
years record books."

Now, why would someone write a request like that when all that was being asked
for was postcards unless it was sincere.

So POH to you and POH to you, Milwaukee Journal!

ccckevin@vega.ucdavis.edu (Kevin Chu) (04/12/88)

In article <566@lakesys.UUCP> tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
>In article <100@studsys.mu.edu>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
>> You've probably been reading about that false story abou the six year old
>> boy in England who's collecting postcards before he dies.  As you know, this
>> story is completely false.
>
>I'll Have You Know that THAT ARTICLE ABOUT A YOUNG BOY IN ENGLAND HAVING CANCER
>WAS TRUE!

You must have been one of those people born every minute.

>So POH to you and POH to you, Milwaukee Journal!

Hey!  If you're going to use language like this, you's better ROT 13 it.
Someone might be offended!

BTW, for all the people who couldn't recognize sarcasm if they fell
into a pool of it, there are :-) laced through-out this entire article.

              --Kevin Chu
Internet        klchu@ucdavis.edu
BITNET          klchu@ucdavis
UUCP            {ucbvax, lll-crg, sdcsvax}!ucdavis!klchu

jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) (04/13/88)

In article <566@lakesys.UUCP>, tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
> In article <100@studsys.mu.edu>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
> > You've probably been reading about that false story abou the six year old
> > boy in England who's collecting postcards before he dies.  As you know, this
> > story is completely false.

> I'll Have You Know that THAT ARTICLE ABOUT A YOUNG BOY IN ENGLAND HAVING CANCER
> WAS TRUE!

> I printed out a copy of the original mailing and sent it to the Milwaukee
> Journal and wrote the boy a letter myself.  The Journal called me & told me
> that they felt it was a hoax.

I remember reading a newspaper article several years ago about a hoax
concerning a boy named David who lived in England who wanted to set the
world's record for number of cards received.  Said the boy was 6 years old,
and that was several years ago.

Either this is another go-around of the same hoax, or this is some incredible
coincidence.

> I received a very nice reply from the boy's
> mother in Birmingham England thanking me for the letter.
> "He received his world record of 147,944 postcards and will be going in next
> years record books."

I find it hard to believe that a mother who is taking care of her dying son
is going to have enough time to write 147,944 thank you letters.  (Maybe
she only sends letters to those people who believe this story :-)

Stamps would bring up another interesting question.  Even if it only cost
$.25 to send a letter from England to here (I assume that it costs more; I'm
just using the current U.S. first class stamp cost for comparison), it would
cost nearly $37,000 to send thank you letters.  Not to mention the cost
of all those envelopes.  That would be a great burden to any family, not
to mention a family that has to pay for chemotherapy for their son.

> So POH to you and POH to you, Milwaukee Journal!

Lesse, my ASCII chart says that SOH is 01, but I can't seem to find POH :-)
--

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (04/14/88)

In article <120@studsys.mu.edu> jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:

>Stamps would bring up another interesting question.  Even if it only cost
>$.25 to send a letter from England to here (I assume that it costs more; I'm
>just using the current U.S. first class stamp cost for comparison), it would
>cost nearly $37,000 to send thank you letters.  Not to mention the cost
>of all those envelopes.  That would be a great burden to any family, not
>to mention a family that has to pay for chemotherapy for their son.

I agree with your point, and I also agree with you that the "dying
boy collecting postcards" story is a hoax.

However, the cost of the chemotherapy isn't an argument.  Don't judge
the rest of the world by United States customs.  In most civilized
countries, and certainly in Britain, medical treatment is free.

In article <18292@watmath.waterloo.edu> credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) writes:
>However, the cost of the chemotherapy isn't an argument.  Don't judge
>the rest of the world by United States customs.  In most civilized
>countries, and certainly in Britain, medical treatment is free.

Depends on your definition of "free".  The British pay very hefty
taxes (I've heard of people moving from the UK to the US because of
the tax burden), and I'll bet a significant part of this is to fund
the National Medical program.

TANSTAAFL.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
uunet!think!barmar

montague@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Michael Montague) (04/15/88)

>>countries, and certainly in Britain, medical treatment is free.
Right...
About 8 years ago, I lived in England.  I had to have new false teeth
made, and supposedly it was free.  But the teeth they put on the plate were
tiny and looked like shit.  To get proper size teeth, we had to pay extra.
To have it done in a reasonable amount of time, we had to pay extra.  (I
didnt like wandering around without any false teeth.)

Michael.

--
Internet: montague@sun.soe.clarkson.edu  |  Woody's my hero...
Bitnet: montague@CLUTX.BITNET            |

sowers@usfvax2.EDU (Jim Sowers) (04/16/88)

In article <18292@watmath.waterloo.edu> credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) writes:
>>Stamps would bring up another interesting question.  Even if it only cost
>>$.25 to send a letter from England to here (I assume that it costs more; I'm
...[cost of letter sending thank you letters deleted]...
>However, the cost of the chemotherapy isn't an argument.  Don't judge
>the rest of the world by United States customs.  In most civilized
>countries, and certainly in Britain, medical treatment is free.
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I realize I'm opening myself to a lot of flame mail here but Mr. Redmond
the only person that would believe that medical treatment is free must
be a Democrat and/or Liberal...IT AIN'T FREE what the hell do you think
taxes are for????  <sorry but in some twisted way this is HILARIOUS!>

amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) (04/17/88)

Forget the kid in England.  I can give you another addressee who could
stand a little cheering up.
My roommate from senior year here at Princeton was ROTC and is currently
commanding tanks/APC's in the cavalry near the Czech border.  Early last
winter, he lost the last joint off two fingers on his hand in an
accident involving a hydraulic hatch (yuk!).  He would LOVE to get a
bushel of random postcards from kind hearts (although he sure hasn't
ASKED for any - but that's what will make it worthwhile!)
  So if you want to make someone's day, send an encouraging word via
postcard to

2nd LT Henri deMarcellus
K Troop, 3/2 ACR
APO, NY 09452

It will only cost you regular postcard postage (whatever that is now),
since it is Army mail serviced to him once it reaches New York.
And don't forget to ask him about all the women he's met over there
(ha!).

--
amlovell@phoenix.princeton.edu     ...since 1963.

disclaimer:
These are MY opinions.  You only WISH they were yours.

credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) (04/19/88)

In article <19715@think.UUCP> barmar@fafnir.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <18292@watmath.waterloo.edu> credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) writes:
>>However, the cost of the chemotherapy isn't an argument.  Don't judge
>>the rest of the world by United States customs.  In most civilized
>>countries, and certainly in Britain, medical treatment is free.
>
>Depends on your definition of "free".  The British pay very hefty
>taxes (I've heard of people moving from the UK to the US because of
>the tax burden), and I'll bet a significant part of this is to fund
>the National Medical program.

A couple of people have e-mailed me on the same point.

Barry is quite right, of course.  Health care costs the taxpayers money,
big money.

What I meant, and what I should have said, and what I assumed people
would understand that I meant, was that medical treatment is free to
the consumer.

Chris

ken@nsc.nsc.com ({JOAT}) (04/21/88)

in article <18368@watmath.waterloo.edu>, credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) says:
& Barry is quite right, of course.  Health care costs the taxpayers money,
& big money.
& What I meant, and what I should have said, and what I assumed people
& would understand that I meant, was that medical treatment is free to
& the consumer.
& Chris

 Yea, great but who wants the quality of care they provide. Even the PM
Maggie Thatcher(sp?) would rather pay than use the 'free' health services.

--
PATH= Second star to the right,          {...Ken Trant...}
      and straight on till morning

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (04/21/88)

In article <5038@nsc.nsc.com> ken@nsc.nsc.com ({JOAT}) writes:
} in article <18368@watmath.waterloo.edu>, credmond@watmath.waterloo.edu (Chris Redmond) says:
}  ...[stuff about medical services provided free to the consumer, i.e.
}      "socialized medicine" or "socialized medical insurance" ]...
}
}  Yea, great but who wants the quality of care they provide. Even the PM
} Maggie Thatcher(sp?) would rather pay than use the 'free' health services.

Canada has a system of socialized medical insurance (you pay for the
insurance mostly through taxes, then go to the doctor(s) or facilities
of your choice) which I found distinctly superior to the U.S. system.  For
one thing, the providers don't have to go through a lot of gyrations to
find out whether you can pay or not.  For another, the system recognizes
that the money has already been put up, so they pay promptly and the
providers don't mind getting it from the system, rather than the patient.
I found the services themselves equal to or better than what you can get
in the US.

Naturally, Maggie Thatcher, having plenty money and knowing what she
and her friends have done to the 'free' health services, uses private
services.  Well, before she became prime minister she promised not
to _touch_ the National Health, and I guess she was keeping her promise.

jsast@cisunx.UUCP (Johann) (04/22/88)

Well, now that we mention it... I have a story too.  Last month, I was
working on insides of my PC when a bad circuit shorted and blew up in my face.
Now I have had surgery three times to fix the scars and my face has become
infected beyond all repair.  I will probably die in about three weeks and I
need your help.  You see, I want to get in the Guiness book of world records
for having collected the most amount of money from idiots that reply to these
stupid messages.  If you would like to help me, please send me $10.00.  I
will accept checks, money orders... No credit cards or COD's please..
Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

					-Johann
--
|University|Johann says...  Ollie is a criminal          |JSAST@PITTVMS.Bitnet|
|    of    |                Ollie is a thief             |<><><><><><><><><><>|

mikef@wynalda.UUCP (Mike Faber) (04/26/88)

In article <8926@cisunx.UUCP>, jsast@cisunx.UUCP (Johann) writes:

> stupid messages.  If you would like to help me, please send me $10.00.  I
> will accept checks, money orders... No credit cards or COD's please..
> Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
>
> 					-Johann

You mean from the bottom of your wallet...

< --
< |University|Johann says...  Ollie is a criminal          |JSAST@PITTVMS.Bitnet|
< |    of    |                Ollie is a thief             |<><><><><><><><><><>|
< |Pittsburgh|                Ollie used the American flag |><><><><><><><><><><|
< |<><><><><>|                For a hankerchief!!          |<><><><><><><><><><>|

What happened to 4 line limit on .sig?

--
   _   _                  | This article contains no thought, so my employer
  (/  (/  _  _   _   _    | and sysop cannot share my opinions.

jsast@cisunx.UUCP (Johann) (04/27/88)

In article <120@studsys.mu.edu>, jetzer@studsys.mu.edu (jetzer) writes:
> In article <566@lakesys.UUCP>, tom@lakesys.UUCP (Tom Baas) writes:
> > I printed out a copy of the original mailing and sent it to the Milwaukee
> > I received a very nice reply from the boy's
> > mother in Birmingham England thanking me for the letter.
>
> I find it hard to believe that a mother who is taking care of her dying son
> is going to have enough time to write 147,944 thank you letters.  (Maybe
> she only sends letters to those people who believe this story :-)

HEY!  That's Unfair!!!  She sent me one too..
		Here, I'll post it...
Dear Kind sir,,
	Thank you for sending a postcard to my dying son.
					Sincerely,
					David's Mother
See!  I TOLD YA SO!!!!!!!!