[misc.misc] Scheduling for commonly-known drugs?

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (05/16/88)

In article <642@flatline.UUCP>, erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) writes:
> Please note, I'm very, very sure that MDA is back to C-II, or C-III.
> As I understand it, the DEA goofed when it made it C-I, something having
> to do with rigging the panel and not allowing the pro-research side
> to speak.

You're confusing MDA (methylenedioxyamphetamine) with MDMA (methylenedioxy-
methamphetamine).  MDMA might be C-III right now, after appeal, although
really, if you want to know, contact the DEA and get their current schedules.
Who can keep track?  The point of this wasn't to be exhaustive, but to give
a sense of what the schedules are.

> Hey, you know, nicotene has little medical use (that I'm aware of, please
> tell me if there is a use) and  a *very* high abuse potential (2.5 packs a day
> for 5 years taught me that)... Why isn't it higher on the schedule?
> Also, why can't I go down and buy some nicotene over the counter?

You can buy nicotine over the counter at your local hardware store as an
insecticidal concentrate.  It's probably one of the most toxic insecticides
you can buy; the few milligrams found in tobacco or in nicotine chewing gum
are a fraction of a drop, and it is exceedingly easy to poison yourself
accidentally through skin contact.  Nicotine chewing gum, rather amusingly,
is not a controlled substance.  It is a prescription-only item, however, and its
only indication is as an adjunct to quitting tobacco, so this may have
placed an intrinsic limit on its potential for misuse.  Like we've said
many times before, consistency and logic are not necessarily to be found
in the choices of DEA schedules; they reflect the sociology of drug use, drug
misuse, and drug enforcement.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu