[misc.misc] Ride Sharing

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/11/88)

I would like to bring up the following in a general context at this time
to find out how many people feel that it would be a useful idea.

Ride Sharing is an inexpensive way for the driver and the rider to get
from A to B. Most universities are offering a service to introduce a rider
and a driver in the form of a ride board located somewhere in the student
union.

It would seem to me that this medium would be an ideal one where drivers
looking for riders and riders looking for rides could post their needs
(when, where to, where from, what they can contribute ($, driving, etc),
what special requirements they may have (extra luggage space, non smokers
only, etc), and whatever else they want to say), and then drivers and
riders can get together.

While the travel newsgroup (rec.travel) could be used for this, it might
be more efficient if a new newsgroup were created for this. Rec.Rides or
Misc.Rides would seem to be reasonable names.

I feel that such a newsgroup should be moderated, and I would be happy
to do the moderating and posting of driver/rider requst if they were
submitted to me.

Comments about the suggestions are encouraged.

Those interested in such a service, whether or not such a newsgroups ends
up being formed, are welcome to submit their requests (preferably a
reasonable time before departure) to rides@uisc1 (or mibte!uisc1!rides).
We feel that the following information (about you!) MUST be in the request
before it can be processed.

Name, First and Last
Age
Address (email and postal)
Telephone number where you can be reached
city travelling from
departing when (approx or exact)
city (area) travelling to
estimated travel time
whether you are a driver or looking for a ride
if you are looking for riders, how many can you take?

the following information may also be submitted and may assist in finding
a suitable matchup.

condition(s) required or requested, such as:

sex of rider/driver
age of rider/driver
smoker/non smoker
extra luggage space (how much?)

There is NO fee associated with this service. It is purely in preparation
for the establishment of a new newsgroup, or if such a group is not set
up, a service for those who need it.

Please note: This is NOT in any way intended to warrant or certify anybody
who registers through this service. You are still expected to talk with the
person you have been matched with and satisfy yourself that he/she is
suitable for you.

root@libove.UUCP (The Super User) (06/14/88)

In article <67@uisc1.UUCP>, root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:
> Ride Sharing is an inexpensive way for the driver and the rider to get
> from A to B. Most universities are offering a service to introduce a rider
> and a driver in the form of a ride board located somewhere in the student
> union.
[ much verbiage deleted ]

I think that this is a very good idea, as ride sharing via electronic
communication is a popular (and useful) thing here at Carnegie Mellon
University (where I am a student).

I'd like to see the creation of rec.travel.rides (perhaps?), and I
think that though the information required by the original post might
be slightly arguable, it is overall quite reasonable and helpful for
people choosing people.
--
Jay Libove (Jay.Libove@andrew.cmu.edu  or  pitt!darth!libove!libove)

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (06/14/88)

In article <67@uisc1.UUCP>:
|It would seem to me that this medium would be an ideal one where drivers
|looking for riders and riders looking for rides could post their needs
|
|While the travel newsgroup (rec.travel) could be used for this, it might
|be more efficient if a new newsgroup were created for this. Rec.Rides or
|Misc.Rides would seem to be reasonable names.
|
|I feel that such a newsgroup should be moderated, and I would be happy

I have misgivings about this. Does anybody know the costs of posting an
article?

If you are going to do this, make sure to restrict the distribution to
the smallest possible area that will do. No point wasting transmission
costs to save somebody a few bucks of gas. Also don't wait until the
last moment to post. You won't get enough replies and just waste modem
time again. I would prefer a moderated group for this but then how to
moderate a geographically restricted group I don't know.

	Ken

sullivan@vsi.UUCP (Michael T Sullivan) (06/15/88)

In article <67@uisc1.UUCP>, root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:

> Name, First and Last
> Age
> Address (email and postal)

I don't think that a postal address is necessary in this case.
City should do just fine.  If people need to know the driver's
address to catch the ride or the driver needs the riders' addresses
to pick them up then they should give this over the phone.
For some reason, posting my home address all over the country makes
me uneasy.

--
Michael Sullivan		{uunet|attmail}!vsi!sullivan
V-Systems, Inc.  Santa Ana, CA	sullivan@vsi.com

dan@maccs.UUCP (Dan Trottier) (06/16/88)

What the hell do these messages have to do with news system administration?!?
How about keeping this discussion in the rec and misc catagories! How about
reading the Net Etiquette documents!

Thank you
--
       A.I. - is a three toed sloth!        | ...!uunet!mnetor!maccs!dan
-- Official scrabble players dictionary --  | dan@mcmaster.BITNET