[misc.misc] Looking for Museum near/in Boston

root@tmpmbx.UUCP (The Superior Being) (07/01/88)

My father is going to spend his vacation in/near Boston,MA.
He pleased me to ask on the net, if anybody knows about a
museum of compters/computer-science (perhaps something from DEC ???)

Any answer welcome !!!

Thanx-

	Clemens Schrimpe, netmbx Berlin (West-Germany)
--
UUCP:	csch@tmpmbx		{backbone}!pyramid!tmpmbx!csch
BITNET:	csch@db0tui6.BITNET	csch@tub.BITNET

htr@sfsup.UUCP (H.T.Robinson) (07/03/88)

We understand that DEC has a Museum in Computing in the Boston area;
unfortunately, we don't have the particulars.  Can anyone in the area
help out?

Helena Robinson
AT&T Bell Labs
...attunix!htr

lseaman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Lyle Seaman) (07/05/88)

There will probably be a deluge of replies --
The Computer Museum is at 300 Congress St, at Museum Wharf (i.e. on the
waterfront) -- right next to the milk bottle.  It's a few blocks walk
from South Station (the 'T' == the subway), or not too hard to get to from
Atlantic Ave.  Admission is $4.50 (I think).  The phone number is
  (617) 423 - 6758       and they have a nifty answering machine.
They have special speakers regularly on Sunday afternoons, but I don't
know if they continue through the summer.  Dennis Ritchie was there
in May.  I wasn't aware that this was a venture of DEC's...

I also enjoy the Museum of Science, which has an interesting mathematics
exhibit funded by IBM.

Lyle
{harvard,mit-eddie}!ulowell!hawk.ulowell.edu!lseaman

ddb@ns.ns.com (David Dyer-Bennet) (07/08/88)

In article <7922@swan.ulowell.edu>, lseaman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>  I wasn't aware that this was a venture of DEC's...
  The museum was started by dec (and used to be housed in MR2 (more recently
MRO2) at their Marlboro facility (next to the building I worked in at
the time)).  It is now, as I understand it, an independent entity.
I suspect it's larger and better now, but it was loads of fun to walk over
there and browse when I needed to think about something (or needed to
goldbrick :-).

andrey@arizona.edu (Andrey K. Yeatts) (07/08/88)

In article <7922@swan.ulowell.edu>, lseaman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Lyle Seaman) writes:
> The Computer Museum is at 300 Congress St, at Museum Wharf (i.e. on the
> waterfront) -- right next to the milk bottle.  It's a few blocks walk
>
> I also enjoy the Museum of Science, which has an interesting mathematics
> exhibit funded by IBM.

	And a fantastic Van de Graff generator, courtesy MIT. (zzzap!!)

> Lyle
> {harvard,mit-eddie}!ulowell!hawk.ulowell.edu!lseaman

You can follow the (blue line?) walking tour to the Computer Museum from
Faneuil (sp?) Market.  And unless you despise children or are very
self-conscious, see the Children's Museum next door (y'know, they should
have rental children for those who show up without). And there is the Museum
of Fine Arts, near the Fenway, with a wonderful collection of Oriental
art, and...
--
Andrey Yeatts					Dept. of Computer Science
andrey@arizona.edu				Univ. of Arizona

mpp@ems.Ems.MN.ORG (Michael Palmquist) (07/09/88)

In article <970@tmpmbx.UUCP>, root@tmpmbx.UUCP (The Superior Being) writes:
> museum of compters/computer-science (perhaps something from DEC ???)
> nrea Boston...

Clemens --

Tell your father to check out the Boston Computer Museum -- it's run
with some support from the Boston Computer Society. It's down on the
wharf next to the Children's Museum. It is definitely worth the trip.
A very cool place.

He should also check out the Science Museum on the Charles.

mpp@ems

In article <7922@swan.ulowell.edu> lseaman@hawk.ulowell.edu (Lyle Seaman) writes:
>The Computer Museum is at 300 Congress St, at Museum Wharf
>  I wasn't aware that this was a venture of DEC's...

The Computer Museum was originally part of DEC, and located in (or
adjacent to) one of its buildings (probably in Marlborough).  At the
time it was just a collection of ancient DEC computers.  It later
separated from DEC, and soon after that it moved to its present
location in Boston.

Barry Margolin
Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

ddb@ns.ns.com (David Dyer-Bennet) (07/12/88)

In article <23429@think.UUCP>, barmar@think.COM (Barry Margolin) writes:
> The Computer Museum was originally part of DEC, and located in (or
> adjacent to) one of its buildings (probably in Marlborough).  At the
> time it was just a collection of ancient DEC computers.
  I worked in MR1 at the time the museum was in MR2.  There was a lot
more than just old DEC stuff there.  I remember CDC and Univac, and
at least boards and articles on some of the very first vacuum tube
systems.  And of course the odd abbacus and some old mechanical calculators.

--
	-- David Dyer-Bennet
	...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb