[misc.misc] Still need information about computer camps for handicapped child

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (06/27/88)

This is a request for information about computer camps for a handicaped
child.  No one responded to my first posting so I am trying again.

There is a 14 year old child at Piedmont Dialysis Center (in Winston-Salem,
NC.) with kidney failure who wants very much to attend a computer camp this
summer.  I am also a patient there and one of the social workers came to me
and asked if I knew where any computer camps were being held this summer.
I promised to post some thing to the net and try to find out.  Since no one
responded to my first posting, I am trying again.  Surely someone out in net
land should have this information.  The local Make a Wish Foundation here is
willing to help fund this if a camp can be found.  The child is in
Winston-Salem, NC. so locations near here would be best, but any information
would be appreciated.  I realize there have been several postings to the
net recently requesting hardship money that have turned out to be hoaxs
and people may be reluctant to respond to postings of this nature.  But this
is not a hoax, no one wants any money, just information.

If you can provide any information about computer camps running this summer,
please respond to me directly because I don't subscribe to all these groups.
Or contact one of the social workers at:

Piedmont Dialysis Center Inc.
120 Miller Street
Winston-Salem, NC.  27104
919-721-1360

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
mtune  \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked

moorthy@saturn.ucsc.edu (Harihara Moorthy) (06/27/88)

In article <522@rbdc.UUCP>, andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) writes:

> This is a request for information about computer camps for a handicaped
> child.  No one responded to my first posting so I am trying again.

The list of newsgroups you have cross-posted don't seem to include
misc.handicap.  Why don't you try there?

moorthy@saturn.ucsc.edu		Harihara SV Moorthy

jeff@mtgzy.UUCP ([sjh]-j.e.lancero) (06/29/88)

andy@rbdc.UUCP (Andy Pitts) (07/12/88)

I want to thank all who responded to this.  I tryed to send a note to everyone
who responded, but some of the mail bounced.

Linda Collins, the social worker in charge of the case asked me to post
the following for her.
I want to thank all of you who responded to the request for information
on summer computer camps for the 14 year old dialysis patient.  There were
19 replys from 19 wonderful people who provided invaluable information on
many camps which looked appropriate.  A special thanks goes to Carol Boyer
who not only responded via computer but responded personally to this social
work via telephone.  Susan Finkelman also went above and beyond the call of
duty.

Unfortunately, it was decided in a meeting with the boy, his mother and the
physician that it would be better for him not to go this year.  It is
likely, however, that he will be up to going next year and we are already
looking into the possibilities.  There is a 4-H camp in Reidsville, N. C.
which is quite close to our medical center (and his doctor) which looks
appropriate if they offer it next year.  If not, we now have a wealth of
resources to turn to.  Also, there is a dialysis camp in Winder Ga. that
accepts dialysis patients and even has computers, though it is not the
focus of the camp.

I wish you could have seen the patients face when he was presented your
computer mail and he found out he was the subject of a national network of
computers.  He will get hours of enjoyment deciphering all the coding.

Again, thanks to all of you who responded.  God bless you all.  You too,
Andy.

						Linda Collins, MSW
Andy Pitts andy@rbdc.UUCP  : "The giant Gorf was hit in  one eye  by a stone,
att    \                   : and that eye  turned  inward  so  that it looked