>From [deleted]@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu Wed Nov 23 14:35:11 1988
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 14:34:35 EST
From: [deleted]@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu

FUCK OFF, YOU JEWISH BITCH!!

>From [deleted]@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu Wed Nov 23 13:27:33 1988
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 13:27 EST
From: [deleted]@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu
Subject: Re; The Good, the Bad, and the Stupid (LONG)
To: nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.EDU

Eat shit, Nancy.

[deleted]

	One more thing.  While I no longer have it, I recieved a
similar piece of email from machine vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu,
although I no longer remember if it came from the same individual.
--
David Makowsky  (312) 979 - 6211
UUCP: att!ihlpa!davidm  ARPANET/INTERNET: davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM

rsvp@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (R. Scott V. Paterson) (11/30/88)

In article <10676@ihlpa.ATT.COM> davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) writes:
>>From [deleted]@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu Wed Nov 23 13:27:33 1988
>Date: Wed, 23 Nov 88 13:27 EST
>From: [deleted]@vms.cis.pittsburgh.edu
>Subject: Re; The Good, the Bad, and the Stupid (LONG)
>To: nmg@osupyr.mast.ohio-state.EDU
>
>Eat shit, Nancy.
>
>[deleted]

I agree that this is a complete abuse of the network and that the sender
should have his/her net privileges revoked, but does this piece of mail
really represent 'bigoted, racist' mail?  I think this piece of mail
merely shows that lack of any significant understanding of the exchange
of ideas and constructive criticism.  This person displays a lack of
intelligence by resorting to simple profanity, but it does not seem
that it is aimed at Nancy's gender, race, or religion...etc...  It's
a ridiculous attempt to disagree.

Respectfully,
-rsvp

this, news server  :->

art@buengc.BU.EDU (A. R. Thompson) (12/01/88)

In article <10676@ihlpa.ATT.COM> davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) writes:

>	I am posting two pieces of email received by Nancy Gould.
>I am doing this on my own, and without her permission (Nancy has
>already made it public on the net that she received such email).
>	Since I believe in the privacy rights of those who send
>email, no matter how disgusting it is, I have deleted any reference
>to user id's, or the senders' names.  However, I have kept enough
>of the headers, including the machines from which the email was
>sent and transported through, and the message id's of the email,
>that I hope any of the respective system administrators will be
>able to identify the sender of the email and take whatever he or
>she feels is appropriate action.

It's truly unfortunate that you chose to delete the names of the senders
of this disgusting and cowardly trash.  They deserve to be publicly
exposed.  I don't see how their privacy rights in any way should be
invoked to protect them from the scorn they so richly deserve.  Further,
by deleting the names of the senders and leaving their posting addresses
you have inadvertently called into question the behavior of all who post
from those machines.  In the interests of fairness to the decent people at
ohio-state.edu and pittsburgh.edu you should have released the names of
those who would hide such bigotry behind the cover of ill conceived
privacy rights so as not to tar these people with the same brush.

davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) (12/01/88)

It seems that Nancy Gould has been struck again.  I will post this
one also.  I am going to keep the user id on this one since it is
obviously contrived.  In someone elses posting, the user id in
another piece of email from the same person (I believe) was
exposed.  Here it is:

Date: Wed, 30 Nov 88 16:50:44 EST
From: aryan@youth.nazi

Well, it seems like you did not get the message.
Here it goes again....

FUCK OFF, YOU JEWISH BITCH!!!
GO KILL YOURSELF, WILL YOU?

Thank you.

Does anyone know if the message id can be used to trace the origins
of the email?

--
David Makowsky  (312) 979 - 6211
UUCP: att!ihlpa!davidm  ARPANET/INTERNET: davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM
BITNET, try: davidm%ihlpa@att.arpa   or  davidm%ihlpa@research.att.com
Disclaimer: These opinions are mine alone.  Sharing requires written permission!

gandalf@csli.STANFORD.EDU (Juergen Wagner) (12/01/88)

How about NOT cross-posting this to ten different newsgroups. I certainly do
agree that the more than stupid person(s) sending the offensive pieces of
mail should be dealt with (that goes beyond the right of free speech), but
I don't see why you don't pick one (like news.admin or comp.mail.misc) to
address that.

---
--
Juergen Wagner		   			gandalf@csli.stanford.edu
						 wagner@arisia.xerox.com

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (12/01/88)

In article <10704@ihlpa.ATT.COM> davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) writes:
>It seems that Nancy Gould has been struck again.  I will post this
>one also....

[obscene hate mail posted]

This is rather interesting.  For about a year on a BBS in Ann Arbor
called m-net, I received similar hate mail.  Coincidentally the mail
I received had identical wording.  Mine was from somebody who called
himself Scott Renner.  A few months back somebody named Scott Renner
started posting articles to soc.women.  Although these articles were
from a different site, they appeared to express similar (if more
subtly worded) sentiments regarding women, and I assumed it was the
same Scott Renner.  I was told it was a different person, but, of
course, I have no evidence one way or the other.

Supposing that some of the *actual* fascist Nazi youth were into
computers and belonged to the *actual* national fascist computer
network started by Louis Beam some years back.  It would then be
more than likely that they would have computer accounts all over the
country, would be interested in learning how to send mail that
couldn't be traced, and would share accounts and information with
each other.

Now it is quite possible that this is one lone nut, due to the
identical wording and method of operation, but since there *are*
organized fascist Nazi youth groups and at least one organized
national fascist computer network, it is equally possible that it
is part of a concerted attempt to discourage women and other
minorities from participating in Usenet discussions.  If the latter,
it appears to be working very well, as participation by women has
never reflected the actual percentage of women with access at large
sites, and has not increased as would be expected with the influx
of women into computing over the years.

One woman posted to soc.women a while back that women who post should
"expect" to be subjected to obscene hate mail.  That alone might
discourage professional women from posting, since it might conflict
with their academic and career expectations.

Some site administrators have insisted that since they are privately
owned sites, they have an absolute right to transmit personal obscene
attacks or anything else they wish.  My objection to this is that
while they own their own machines, they do not own the machines at
other sites, such as large corporations, government installations,
and universities that carry Usenet and UUCP mail, but are federally
subsidized or otherwise subject to anti-discrimination laws.  While
it might be the right of a bigot to attack somebody on the basis of
race, religion, sex, or other discriminatory factor on their own
machine, I do not believe it is their right to subject large sites
to possible loss of federal subsidies for sponsoring a discriminatory
activity.

If Usenet and UUCP mail are actually totally beyond the control of
site administrators, it is possible that many large sites will not
be able to continue afford the risk of subsidizing an activity they
cannot control and that could subject them to possible loss of federal
subsidies, contracts, or other penalties.

Freedom of speech implies the corresponding freedom not to have to
listen to things we don't want to hear.  If I get hate mail through
the post office, I can ask them not to deliver mail from that sender
or address in the future, and if traced, the sender can be subject
to federal penalties.  I can turn off radio or tv shows I don't wish
to be subjected to.  I can refuse to buy books, records, or magazines
I find offensive.  I can have the phone company put a trap on my
phone and trace harassing phone calls.  But I have no way to protect
myself from hate mail on Usenet, other than to simply not participate.

When the ground rules are:  You will be subject to discrimination,
harassment, denigration, death threats, and intimidation, and your
only alternative is not to use the system if you are female, Jewish,
or a member of another minority group, the system itself is, by
definition, discriminatory, as there is no possible way a person
can participate on equal terms if they belong to a historically
discriminated against group.

Laughing it off as a joke, attempting to discredit anyone who
complains, and other tired old tactics, have been tried too often
to convince a court that something is not serious when it is.  If
it weren't serious, we wouldn't need laws.  Too many women have been
attacked this way for it to be seen as just a joke or "merely free
speech."  It is a discriminatory condition that creates a hostile
environment, intimidates women, and prevents women from participating
on equal terms.

The problem is not whom to sue, but who doesn't want to run the risk
of being sued.  Most major sites probably won't want to subsidize
any discriminatory activity they cannot control.

For those who are concerned about the survival of Usenet, I've said
this before and I'll say it again.  If Usenet continues to be a
discriminatory activity with severely limited female participation
due to harassment and intimidation, it doesn't deserve to survive.
Unless it can be open to everyone on equal terms, without regard to
race, sex, religion, or other personal factors, it has failed in the
purpose for which it was created, and other attempts must be made
to create a more democratic system with more open and equal access
for everyone.

Bigots have the right to express their views, but they cannot
walk into your university, corporation, or government facility and
denigrate somebody on the basis of discriminatory factors because
the *site* would be held responsible, not just the bigot.  You are
legally as responsible for your computers as you are for your
physical premises.

--Mark

jlc@wucfua.wustl.edu (Roving UIUC CS Grad Student) (12/02/88)

In article <1548@buengc.BU.EDU> art@buengc.bu.edu (A. R. Thompson) writes:
>In article <10676@ihlpa.ATT.COM> davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Makowsky) writes:
>>
>>	I am posting two pieces of email received by Nancy Gould.
>>I am doing this on my own, and without her permission (Nancy has
>>already made it public on the net that she received such email).
>>	Since I believe in the privacy rights of those who send
>>email, no matter how disgusting it is, I have deleted any reference
>>to user id's, or the senders' names.  [...]
>
>It's truly unfortunate that you chose to delete the names of the senders
>of this disgusting and cowardly trash.  They deserve to be publicly
>exposed.  I don't see how their privacy rights in any way should be
>invoked to protect them from the scorn they so richly deserve.

I'm not really sure that this would be legal, especially in this case (when
the mail is being revealed by a third party). There are federal laws to
protect privacy of e-mail. I suspect that revealing the names would be
legal if Nancy Gould did it, but not from a third-party.

Any legal experts out there know to what extent e-mail (which is treated,
I believe, as unpublished) is protected? It would really be tragic if the
persons who sent this offensive trash were entitled to damages from those
it was sent to if their names were released...

| John L. Coolidge   Internet:jlc@wucfua.wustl.edu    UUCP:jlc@wucfua.uucp |
| "My other account is in Illinois"        I just read news here...        |
| With the exception of included material: All above opinions are mine.    |
| Licensing terms available. Copyright (c) 1988 John L. Coolidge. Copying  |
| allowed if and only if attributed. All other rights reserved.            |

aem@ibiza.Miami.Edu (a.e.mossberg) (12/03/88)

In <10704@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, <davidm@ihlpa.ATT.COM> wrote:
>It seems that Nancy Gould has been struck again.  I will post this
>one also.  I am going to keep the user id on this one since it is
>obviously contrived.  In someone elses posting, the user id in
>another piece of email from the same person (I believe) was
>exposed.  Here it is:

>[evil, nasty message sent to Nancy deleted]

As I said to David, Nancy should be sending examples of this nastiness directly
to the administrator of the appropriate system.  This does not belong posted
to the net at large, especially with such a wide and odd distribution, namely:

	Newsgroups: soc.culture.jewish,news.sysadmin,comp.mail.misc,
	rec.humor.d,news.misc,misc.misc,soc.culture.misc,soc.misc,
	comp.mail.uucp,news.admin

rec.humor.d?  What fevered imagination came up with that as an appropriate
group? Even admiting this is a valid posting, which I don't believe.  At most
it should be published to news.sysadmin. No more.

BTW, if the appropriate sysadmin is reading this, the user should be reported
to University officials, and Nancy may want to consider legal recourse, if any,
as well.

aem
a.e.mossberg    -    aem@mthvax.miami.edu    -    aem@mthvax.span (3.91)
The preservation of the means of knowledge among the lowest ranks is of
more importance to the public than all the property of all the rich men in
the country.                                       	- John Adams

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/03/88)

I am Jewish. I think the two people who sparked this exchange of messages
are criminal fools. But, if we begin censoring messages where will it
stop?

Once we allow any form of censorship, censorship spreads and spreads until
nothing may be said.  This net, which has the potential to be a great
forum of ideas, where everyones voice may be heard, will be spoiled and
silenced. Or worse, filled only with what is acceptable to the people in
power.

I would rather stand with criminal fools than with the censors, for in the
end, the censors are the worse criminals.

randolph%cognito@Sun.COM (Randolph Fritz) (12/04/88)

I also oppose the monitoring and censorship of mail.  Because of the
structure of Usenet, because systems under our control carry the mail,
we have the power to monitor and interfere with with private electronic
correspondence.  The attempt to purify our network of bigotry, however,
can only end by making the net useless for the discussion of bigotry.
Furthermore, having established the power structure necessary to
control the contents of the network, that power structure will go on to
seek greater control.  We will end with a network that expresses only the
ideas accepted by that power structure.

I say that the practice of censorship, for that is what is proposed, is
an abuse of power and I say to hell with it!  If we are to control
traffic on this network, let us control, at most, traffic volume without
regard to contents (as the segregation of talk.* groups enables).

++Randolph Fritz  sun!randolph || randolph@sun.com

era1987@violet.berkeley.edu (12/04/88)

In article <27015@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:

>I would rather stand with criminal fools than with the censors, for in the
>end, the censors are the worse criminals.

What happened was that rather than responding to the issues in a
person's posting, somebody tried to censor that individual, intimidate
them, silence them, and prevent them from posting, by sending them
hatemail.  The criminal act of the fool in this instance was an act
of intended censorship.

The possible remedies suggested included a warning, a temporary
suspension on the second offense, and revocation of privileges if
and only if further acts of attempted censorship took place.

In this case, the censors *ARE* the criminal fools.  Do you still
wish to be counted with them?

--Mark