[misc.misc] Help me be more productive

ssh@esl.UUCP (Sam Hahn) (12/07/88)

--text follows this line--

OK.  I've let a very strong propensity towards laziness take me too
far to disorganization and procrastination.  I'm looking to bail
myself out of the illusion that "clean desk is a sick mind", "piles
imply creativity", etc.  No longer.  I've found the opposite is true,
that being aware of where things are is a great asset toward
maximizing the resources you have.

I'm so paranoid now about being organized that I'd like to make this
request.  It'll seem a little off the wall, but what I'm looking for
are lists.  templates.  forms.  Standard references people usually
keep for themselves.  I'd appreciate any that people send.

I'll give you an example.  I now keep (and am looking for) lists such as:

- what to pack when going on business trips
- proposal preparation checklists
- bid/no-bid decisions checklists
- traits to look for in new / candidate employees
- standard items to include in WBSs
- characteristics of good (primarily)  Lisp code
- what makes good vugrafs
- how to organize drawers in a desk
- standard items to supply your desktop with
- software i use for varied purposes (I could use help in this)
- what magazines i should read / skim
- what restaurants are good for what occasions
- etc

Miscellanea is good.  Also looking on how to improve productivity in
general, not just these lists. Just thought that lists that already
existed were a simple, non-intrusive way to get feedback.  Is it too
unclear what I'm looking for?  Thank you for your support.

				-- Sam Hahn (ssh@esl, uucp)

sbelcas@hvrunix.UUCP (Sarah Belcastro) (12/09/88)

In article <801@esl.UUCP>, ssh@esl.UUCP (Sam Hahn) writes:
> request.  It'll seem a little off the wall, but what I'm looking for
> are lists.  templates.  forms.  Standard references people usually
> keep for themselves.  I'd appreciate any that people send.
> 				-- Sam Hahn (ssh@esl, uucp)

well, what i do is keep notes to myself on small sheets of paper.
(i use the backs of daily calendar sheets.)  i make lists of things to do
and lists of things is need to get and lists of things to ask my parents
about during the weekly call and lists of things to do next school year
and...

i also keep a legal pad for more long-term things when i remember to write
them there, like ideas on what to get my boyfriend for christmas or designs
for new garments or stuffed animals.

How to organize a desk?  how to organize anything?  obviously, the way you will
remember when you go back to it.  it depends on what it is in a certain
sense, though; a filing cabinet may be neccessary to organize in such a way
that others can find stuff in it too.

i wish i could have mailed this message to you, but our mail consistently
bounces at drexel.

			--sarah marie belcastro.

			Bitnet: (PLEASE!!!)  s_belcastro@hvrford

lidral@lpi.UUCP (Bob Lidral) (12/10/88)

In article <801@esl.UUCP> ssh@esl.UUCP (Sam Hahn) writes:
. . .

>I'm so paranoid now about being organized that I'd like to make this
>request.  It'll seem a little off the wall, but what I'm looking for
>are lists.  templates.  forms.  Standard references people usually
>keep for themselves.  I'd appreciate any that people send.

. . .

>				-- Sam Hahn (ssh@esl, uucp)

Try DAY-TIMERS, Inc., Allentown, Pennsylvania 18001; they provide a whole
catalog of stuff you can use to get organized and forms and templates you
can use to design your own forms and templates.  They also carry several
cases with which to organize and transport this stuff.

If you're really gung-ho, they are associated with an organization which
specializes in time management training: The Charles R. Hobbs Corporation,
P.O. Box 21567, Salt Lake City, Utah 84121-0273, (801)278-5381.

I've used Day-Timers stuff for about a year now and it seems to help;  I
haven't actually dealt with the Charles R. Hobbs Corporation, so I can't
comment on them further.

You might also try office supply stores (those are almost as dangerous as
good bookstores :-)) or library supply companies such as Highsmith
Corporation (sorry, I don't have their address handy).

Good luck.

		Bob Lidral (lidral@lpi.UUCP)