[misc.misc] Creative site names

wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) (12/09/88)

How about a change of topic?

Have you ever heard or said the late-comers lament about choosing a site name:
"All the good names are taken already!!".

Fret no more:
here is the result of some creative brainstorming, passed through an almost
up-to-date set of uucp map files.

Help yourselves, but check the latest maps and news.newsites first!

abstract      dolphin	    if		  nothung	simplex
acausal	      double	    inittab	  notwork	simula
actor	      dracula	    inxs	  nova		sodium
ada	      dungeon	    isolde	  oliver	soft
addams	      duplex	    isomer	  opera		somtow
algebra	      dylan	    kafka	  optics	south
algol	      earl	    khan	  optimal	sphere
alkali	      ecce	    king	  orb		stoker
atreides      egress	    klein	  orbison	stout
axolotl	      eiffel	    klink	  orson		streams
babel	      erasmus	    krypton	  otis		sulfur
babylon	      esse	    kungfu	  overflow	sushi
balgol	      essence	    laotsu	  oxygen	tail
baryon	      etalii	    lemma	  paradise	tao
base	      etc	    lemming	  pascal	taxi
basic	      etc	    lepton	  passwd	techie
bassack	      excess	    less	  percipi	tellus
baud	      fafnir	    lex		  perl		tex
baudot	      false	    lib		  pessimal	then
benegess      farad	    limo	  pickle	theory
bin	      fiat	    lisp	  pico		there
bmw	      fiatlux	    list	  pied		titania
bozo	      filk	    locus	  piper		tmp
byte	      flambo	    logos	  porsche	tristan
calculus      float	    luke	  portia	troy
caliban	      flop	    luther	  pragma	turing
carbon	      floppy	    matrix	  preppie	tyre
causal	      folly	    maze	  project	u2
checker	      for	    mercator	  prolog	until
chess	      framis	    mercedes	  proof		usr
chevy	      general	    merge	  quaver	veritas
chili	      getty	    meson	  queen		vino
chlorine      gilliam	    metal	  query		vliw
cisc	      glob	    metric	  queue		vlsi
cleese	      gks	    mex		  rdbms		volatile
clew	      group	    minor	  real		ware
cliff	      grue	    mode	  relative	welles
clone	      hades	    modula	  right		wetware
clu	      hamilton	    monty	  ring		whale
complex	      hamlet	    more	  risc		while
concrete      hard	    mouser	  rose		wino
const	      hare	    muaddib	  rule		word
croft	      head	    nano	  scepter	wuwei
crypt	      heavy	    nibble	  schubert	wyrms
ctrl-d	      helium	    nil		  screamer	yacc
cube	      here	    nitrogen	  seal		yuppie
daemon	      holmes	    north	  semi		zone
dagoba	      hoop	    not		  sherlock	zoom
device	      horatio	    note	  shift		zuse

For the dirty-minded and illiterate, Nothung was Siegfried's sword in
the Ring of the Nibelungen, it does not stand for "not hung" !!
--
Bill Hutchison, DP Consultant	rutgers!liberty!burdvax!ubbpc!wgh
Unisys UNIX Portation Center	"What one fool can do, another can!"

eric@snark.UUCP (EricS.Raymond) (12/14/88)

In article <431@ubbpc.uucp>, wgh@ubbpc.UUCP (William G. Hutchison) writes:
> Help yourselves, but check the latest maps and news.newsites first!

Mr. Hutchison, I like the way your mind works.

However, I think it would be only courteous to leave 'eiffel' to that crew
from France that's pushing an object-oriented language by the same name. Note:
I have no connection with them, I just think the Eiffel design is pretty
good and has a few things to teach the C++ crowd.

Myself, I like to name my UNIX boxen after singular creatures from literature,
preferably comic ones. Therefore I have 'snark' and 'golux' (the latter from
James Thurber's _The_Big_O_), and if I ever have a third machine it will
probably be 'hurkle' (from Theodore Sturgeon's _The_Hurkle_Is_A_Happy_Beast_).
--
      Eric S. Raymond                     (the mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)
      Email: eric@snark.uu.net                       CompuServe: [72037,2306]

bruce@beowulf.JPL.NASA.GOV (Bruce McLaughlin) (12/16/88)

In article <eTJMW#4EnDte=eric@snark.UUCP> eric@snark.UUCP (EricS.Raymond) writes:
>                       Therefore I have 'snark' and 'golux' (the latter from
>James Thurber's _The_Big_O_), ...

Actually, the golux is from Thurber's _The_Thirteen_Clocks_, and if you
don't believe me, I'll slit you from your guggle to your zatch!!  :-)
It's a charming story, also made into a play, which I was in a few years ago.

eric@snark.UUCP (Eric S. Raymond) (12/21/88)

In <3774@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov>, Bruce McLaughlin writes:
> In article <eTJMW#4EnDte=eric@snark.UUCP> I wrote:
> >                       Therefore I have 'snark' and 'golux' (the latter from
> >James Thurber's _The_Big_O_), ...
>
> Actually, the golux is from Thurber's _The_Thirteen_Clocks_, and if you
> don't believe me, I'll slit you from your guggle to your zatch!!  :-)

Aaargh! I believe you. See, I read _The_Thirteen_Clocks_ and _The_Big_O_ in an
edition back to back and have tended to transpose the titles when thinking
about them, ever since.

Wonderful stories. I rather identified with the Golux, myself. Some
litcrit type should do a semiotic comparison of him with James Branch Cabell's
Horvendile...