[misc.misc] David's Last Wish

rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) (12/15/88)

There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
Therefore, they have started a campaign to honor his last wish, and rather
simple, request.  If anyone would like to take the time to send David a
Christmas card, please mail it to:

David
A Child's Last Wish
PO BOX 5997
Spring Hill, FLA  34606

gfv@homxc.UUCP (G.VALVO) (12/15/88)

> There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
> Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
		[... stuff deleted ...]

Has anyone EVER had FIRST HAND verification of one of these stories?

				Greg

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (12/15/88)

There was recently information posted to misc.misc or misc.consumers
(I can't remember which) which explains that David is in England, and
has already received enough postcards to make the record book, which
will now forever close that category.

Mark
--
Mark Smith (alias Smitty) "Be careful when looking into the distance,
RPO 1604; P.O. Box 5063  that you do not miss what is right under your nose."

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (12/15/88)

>There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
>Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
>Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
>Therefore, they have started a campaign to honor his last wish, and rather
>simple, request.  If anyone would like to take the time to send David a
>Christmas card, please mail it to:
>
>David
>A Child's Last Wish
>PO BOX 5997
>Spring Hill, FLA  34606

NO!!!!!!!  We just went through this whole shebang on CompuServe. This David
DOES exist, unlike all the previous Davids. However, he's already received
something like 3 million cards, and the Last Wish folks are now actively
asking people to NOT SEND ANY MORE CARDS. This was confirmed by multiple
contacts from folks in the CompuServe Sci-Fi sig.

So let this one die. Please.

A couple of other comments. The kid's real name is Mario, according to Last
Wish. They used a fake name to protect his identity -- and coincidentally
ran into the Scotland David of postcard hoaxes. And according to last wish,
his cancer is also currently in remission.

Chuq Von Rospach	Editor/Publisher, OtherRealms		chuq@sun.COM

When you're up to your *ss in alligators, it's hard to remember your initial
objective was to drain the swamp.

jvd@houxs.UUCP (J.VANDYK) (12/15/88)

> There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
		[remainder of message deleted]

An announcement was made on the radio this morning concerning the story about
this young boy named David.  The name David was an alias, and his cancer is in
remission.

The Spring Hill post office in Florida is receiving over 50,000 letters on a
daily basis.  The postmaster has requested numerous times for people to stop
sending mail to this person.

"David" will appear in the Guiness Book of World Records due to the amount of
mail that he has received.

kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) (12/16/88)

> There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
> Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
		[... stuff deleted ...]

According to a call to the local "Make a wish" foundation this is a hoax.
He may be trying for a record, but as far as they know he is not ill.

pearl@porthos.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) (12/16/88)

In article <81765@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
 >>There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
 >>Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness

 >NO!!!!!!!  We just went through this whole shebang on CompuServe. This David
 >DOES exist, unlike all the previous Davids. However, he's already received
 >something like 3 million cards, and the Last Wish folks are now actively
 >asking people to NOT SEND ANY MORE CARDS. This was confirmed by multiple
 >contacts from folks in the CompuServe Sci-Fi sig.
 >
 >So let this one die. Please.

This was *very* poorly worded.

Steve
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck)    Work: (201)932-2443   Home: (201)246-3927
UUCP:  rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!pearl   ARPA:  pearl@aramis.rutgers.edu
US MAIL:  LPO 12749 CN 5064, New Brunswick, NJ 08903
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
	"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/16/88)

In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
> There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> Hospital who is terminally ill.

	This pops up periodically.  I have no idea how it got started, but
it's a hoax.  There is no David, there is no record for the most card
recieved, and all you will do by sending in a card is waste some of your
time, a stamp, and swamp some poor post-office.  Last time, David was dying
in a hospital in Scotland (or was it England?)  I even saw this one posted
in the elevator where I work!
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (12/16/88)

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> There was recently information posted to misc.misc or misc.consumers
> (I can't remember which) which explains that David is in England, and
> has already received enough postcards to make the record book, which
> will now forever close that category.

Today's Asbury Park _Press_ has a wire story on this.  "... The problem
is he doesn't really exist, and those who know the details of the mis-
guided effort are pleading for an end to the postcard frenzy." I hope
that this will teach Rick not to post irresponsible rumors to the Net.
They can do a lot of damage!

Moreover, even when you have something worth saying, it's nearly always
a public nuisance to cross-post to seven different groups.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
gls@odyssey.att.COM

bhh@shuxd.UUCP (Brad Hansen) (12/16/88)

In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
>There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
>Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
>Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.

Frances Keefe, founder of "Child's Wish Come True" in Spring Hill,
Florida, who started the campaign has asked everyone to _please_
STOP.  "David", really Mario Morby of Steely, England, has already
received enough cards to make the 1989 Guinness Book of Records.

Keefe's house has been filled up with mail for "David" and 50,000
more pieces arrive every day.

You might also be interested to know that Mario's cancer is currently
in remission.

--
Brad Hansen                              bhh@shuxd.att.com
AT&T Corp. Hq. Human Resources           att!shuxd!bhh

falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) (12/16/88)

In article <749@odyssey.ATT.COM>, gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:
> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> > There was recently information posted to misc.misc or misc.consumers
> > (I can't remember which) which explains that David is in England, and
> > has already received enough postcards to make the record book, which
> > will now forever close that category.
>
> Today's Asbury Park _Press_ has a wire story on this.  "... The problem
> is he doesn't really exist, and those who know the details of the mis-
> guided effort are pleading for an end to the postcard frenzy." I hope
> that this will teach Rick not to post irresponsible rumors to the Net.
> They can do a lot of damage!

I'm amazed at how badly the story has been corrupted; the name and
everything else are all wrong.

	There is a young boy by the name of Ed at the Mountain View
	home for the bewildered who is terminally ill.  He has entropy
	and the doctors say he has less than sixty years to live.  His
	last wich is to be in the Information Please Almanac for having
	received the MOST money EVER.  Therefore, they have started a
	campaign to honor his last wich, and rather simple, request.
	If anyone would like to take the time to send Ed some money,
	please email it to:

		Pennies for Ed
		falk@sun.com

hermit@shockeye.UUCP (Mark Buda) (12/17/88)

In article <4592@homxc.uucp> some dude writes:
>>There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
>>Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
>>Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
>>Therefore, they have started a campaign to honor his last wish, and rather
>>simple, request.  If anyone would like to take the time to send David a
>>Christmas card, please mail it to:

Ahem. I am sick of this. So, if anybody else out there is sick of this too,
please save the following and email it to anybody who continues to
propagate this myth.

------------- cut here -----------------
From the Lancaster New Era, Lancaster PA, Thursday, December 15, 1988
Reproduced without permission
All spelling mistakes are because I can't type, not because I can't spell.

NO DAVID
Countians Help to Send 300,000 Cards, Gifts
To Dying Florida Boy - But He Doesn't Exist
--------------------
By Cindy Stauffer
New Era Staff Writer
--------------------
  It seemed like such a nice idea: send Christmas cards to David, an
8-year-old terminally ill boy in Florida who is trying to get into the
Guinness World Book of Records before he dies.
  The campaign started in Florida and soon spread throughout the country.
And what started as a nice idea began taking on monstrous proportions. More
than 100,000 pieces of mail and hundreds of packages for David have poured
into a Florida post office each day this week - 300,000 cards in the last
three days alone.
  Here in Lancaster County, people's hearts went out to David. Local
churches put pleas into their bulletins for mail. Disc jockeys read David's
post office address on the air. Volunteers canvassed local businesses for
free cards. Trucking company employees put notices on bulletin boards.
  But this week, the people in Florida who began the campaign asked it to
stop.
  It turns out that there is no David. And there is no 8-year-old boy in
Florida who wanted to receive the most Christmas cards ever.
  The true story is that Mario Morby, of Streetly England, a 12-year-old
boy with cancer, wanted to make the Guinness World Book of Records for
receiving the most postcards.
  This summer, Frances Keefe, founder of Florida Child's Wish Come True in
Spring Hill, Fla., decided to help Mario.
  She says the Morbys asked that the name "David" be used to protect their
son's privacy. The Morbys denied that this week.
  At any rate, Mario, who is in remission from cancer now, made the
Guinness book earlier this year. His name is listed in the 1989 Guinness
book for hacing a collection of 1,000,265 postcards.
  In July, the Morbys directed the postal service to deliver the cards
addressed to their son to an English auction house, where stamp collectors
and others can buy them. Money from the sales is being donated to the
Birmingham Children's Hospital in England, where Mario received his
chemotherapy.
  Meanwhile, here in the United States, the number of postcards addressed
to "David" had trickled off by this fall. Then, as the holidays approached,
Christmas cards began to arrive in droves, said Mrs. Keefe.
  "We don't know why," she said from her home in Florida this morning,
where she fielded a steady stream of calls from reporters all over the
nation.
  For the past several weeks, Mrs. Keefe has been giving the cards and
gifts she has received for "David" to children of migrant workers and to
children's hospitals, she said.
  "We really are trying to do our part," she said. "So many people
responded in such a beautiful way. We don't want people to think we are
taking the stuff to the dump."
  But local people reacted with dismay to the recent revelations about
"David."
  "Oh my gosh," said Carolyn Frantz, a local businesswoman who had
participated in the card campaign. "I feel terrible. I really thought we
were doing something just great... I cried for three days about it. I was
just so thrilled that everyone responded like they did."
  Miss Frantz, who works for Chrysler First consumer discount company, had
first heard about "David" via a computer bulletin board message that went
out to Chrysler First offices in 42 states.
  One of the first things she did was call the post office in Spring Hill,
Fla., last week, to verify that it was receiving mail for "David." A
supervisor there confirmed that mail was being picked up every day for the
little boy.
  Then Miss Frantz asked her neighbors, friends, and co-workers to
participate in the campaign. She got donations of more than 200 cards from
local businesses and gave them to school children to send to "David."
  Although she was distraught that the campaign was not quite what she had
thought, she said she was glad to hear that some of Mario's mail was being
auctioned to benefit a children's hospital.
  Sacred Heart Parish School in the city and Highland Elementary School in
Ephrata were two of the schools that participated in the card campaign.
  Between the two schools, almost 1,000 cards were sent to "David."
  Sister M. Seraphine, the principal at Savred Heart, said this morning, "I
feel that the children have been let down a little bit. You try to give
them a good example at the holidays and this turns them off a little."
  She added she hoped this experience wouldn't discourage the children from
helping others in the future.
  Dan Felix, the principal at Highland, said he was not sorry his students
participated.
  "It was done as a caring thing," he said. "It was a nice thing the kids
did. It was the act of caring that was important."
  Even the employees at the Spring Hill, Fla., post office who are being
buried under "an avalanche" of mail for "David" don't feel bad about the
campaign.
  Patti Ferris, a mail carrier, said today the thousands of cards and "bins
full" of packages are being kept out on a loading dock at the post office
because there is no room for them inside. Mail for "David" now makes up 40
percent of the total mail at the post office, she added.
  "Personally, it's touched my heart to see so much come in for the boy,"
she said. "It kind of puts your faith back into the human spirit.
  "I don't see where the story has gotten out of hand - I mean the story
behind the cards. People are genuinely sending these letters because they
care. They wanted him to have that record."
  The problem, Mrs. Ferris said, is that it has taken so long for the
message to get out to people to stop sending cards.
  Mrs. Keefe, the woman behind the campaign, added, "We hope everyone knows
that their work has not gone in vain."
---------------- cut here ---------------
--
Mark Buda / Smart UUCP: hermit@shockeye.uucp / Phone(work):(717)299-5189
Dumb UUCP: ...rutgers!bpa!vu-vlsi!devon!shockeye!hermit

fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/17/88)

In article <4592@homxc.UUCP>, rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
> There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness

What I don't understand is why the person in this particular hoax is
always named David.  The address moves from California to England and all
points in between and the illness even changes some times but it is always
a boy named David.  Is there something special about the name David that
makes it fit a hoax better than John or Sue?

--
Phil Hughes  -- FYL -- 8315 Lk City Wy NE -- Suite 207 -- Seattle, WA 98115

{uw-beaver!tikal,uunet!pilchuck}!ssc!fylz!fyl

fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (12/17/88)

I have heard that the Post Office only makes money on First Class Mail.
I'll bet that they start this hoax to increase mail volume.

--
Phil Hughes  -- FYL -- 8315 Lk City Wy NE -- Suite 207 -- Seattle, WA 98115

{uw-beaver!tikal,uunet!pilchuck}!ssc!fylz!fyl

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com (12/17/88)

From Associated Press, as it appeared in the Chicago _Tribune_ on Thursday,
December 14, 1988, under the headline "Tale of ill boy inspires flood of
misguided mail":

SPRING HILL, Florida (AP) -- Calls come in from across the country asking
about the postcard campaign for the Spring Hill boy with cancer.

The problem is that he doesn't exist, and those who know the details of the
misguided effort are pleading for an end to the postcard frenzy.

Bags of postcards keep coming, and the holiday season has stirred even more
interest.

People hear that a boy named David would like to be listed in the Guinness
Book of World Records for receiving the most postcards, or Christmas cards,
depending on the story.

A Spring Hill post office box, or sometimes a West Palm Beach number, is
given as a mailing address.

The real story is that Mario Morby of Steely, England, has cancer, but it is
in remission and his name is already listed in the 1989 Guinness Book for
having the world's largest collection of postcards.

Frances Keefe, founder of Florida Child's Wish Come True organization in
Spring Hill, decided this summer to help with his effort.

Aline Morin, a member of the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign
Wars' Post 3588 in Lake Worth, joined the effort in August and offered her
West Palm Beach address as another possibility.

She says the Morbys asked that the name David be used to protect their son, a
report the Morbys deny.

"We never asked anybody to use that name," Mario's father, whose name is
David, said from his home this week.  "We don't even know how that got
started."

But the result has been thousands of pieces of mail addressed to "David" each
day.

Joseph Cerbone, mail supervisor in Spring Hill, said Wednesday that about
50,000 pieces of mail arrive each day for David in the Gulf Coast community
about 50 miles north of Tampa.

Morin, across the state in West Palm Beach, says she has received about
165,000 postcards, and almost 5,000 more arrive each day.

Keefe, who runs the nonprofit organization out of her home, is running out of
space.

In July, the Morbys directed the U. S. Postal Service to deliver the
postcards to an auction house in Nottingham, England, where the mail is sold
every two months.  Stamp collectors and others buy the postcards.

Money from those sales is being donated to the Birmingham Children's Hospital
in England, where Mario received chemotherapy.  The auctions have raised
about $4,000.

=======================
Note: Aline Morin said that the Morbys came up with the name "David" but
the Morbys deny it.  In a letter to Portal Communications, Frances Keefe
said that the name was her idea.

David_W_Tamkin@cup.portal.com  ...!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!david_w_tamkin
Portal's management and other customers do not speak for me, nor I for them.

lmg@hoqax.UUCP (LARRY GEARY) (12/18/88)

In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
>There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
>Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness

THIS IS A HOAX. DO NOT SEND CARDS. NO NOT REPOST OR DISTRIBUTE THE
MESSAGE. SEE news.announce.important FOR DETAILS.
--

     lmg@hoqax.att.com    Think globally ... Post locally    att!hoqax!lmg

trainor@julia.math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) (12/18/88)

In article <621@xilinx.UUCP> kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:

    According to a call to the local "Make a wish" foundation this
    is a hoax.  He may be trying for a record, but as far as they
    know he is not ill.

This "foundation" was exposed recently on the American television show
"60 Minutes".  They showed how the whole thing was a scam.  Call CBS in
New York ( 212-975-4321 ) and ask to talk to someone from "60 Minutes"
and then ask how you can get a transcript.

    douglas

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (12/18/88)

In article <127@fylz.UUCP> fyl@fylz.UUCP (Phil Hughes) writes:
}I have heard that the Post Office only makes money on First Class Mail.
}I'll bet that they start this hoax to increase mail volume.

Actually, I don't think that's true.  They make a profit on junk mail
(fourth class) and lose money on first class.  The price they charge per
piece of fourth class mail is lower, but fourth class mail is delivered to
the originating post office in nice, neat, zip-sorted bundles, with legible
addresses and zip codes (they instantly bounce any pieces missing zip codes).
Fourth class mail costs a lot less per piece to handle than random loose
envelopes addressed, without zip code, in YOUR handwriting.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

winter@Apple.COM (Patty Winter) (12/19/88)

In article<280@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> trainor@math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) writes:
>In article <621@xilinx.UUCP> kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:
>    According to a call to the local "Make a wish" foundation this
>    is a hoax.  He may be trying for a record, but as far as they
>    know he is not ill.
>
>This "foundation" was exposed recently on the American television show
>"60 Minutes".  They showed how the whole thing was a scam.  Call CBS in
>New York ( 212-975-4321 ) and ask to talk to someone from "60 Minutes"
>and then ask how you can get a transcript.

Point of clarification: it was *not* Make-A-Wish that the TV show
tore apart--it was a soundalike organization. Make-A-Wish is a legitimate
group founded nine years ago in Phoenix. Unfortunately, their good efforts
have inspired a flock of groups with similar-sounding names, some perhaps
legitimate, some definitely not.

Kevin is correct: Make-A-Wish was *not* involved in this "David" project.
I don't know how M-A-W's name got added to the address of that lady
in Florida; as we now know from the newspaper article someone posted,
she's with the Ladies' Auxiliary of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Perhaps
M-A-W is now so well known that people assume they're behind any
project involving a dying child's wish.

Incidentally, it was "20/20" that did the recent expose' on a scam to
collect money for children's "last wishes." Perhaps "60 Minutes" has
done a similar story at some time in the past, but I'm not aware of it.

Patty

Patty Winter N6BIS                        DOMAIN: winter@apple.com
AMPR.ORG: [44.4.0.44]                     UUCP: {decwrl,nsc,sun}!apple!winter

gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) (12/19/88)

The more information that comes out about this, the more
interesting it becomes.  Evidently there are several layers
of deception, self- and otherwise; it would probably take
a full-time private detective to get to the bottom of it.

Since the factual basis of both the original story and the
debunkings of it are so hazy, I think we must assume that we
are in the presence of a myth in the making.  I wish the
latest original poster, R. Buttafogo, would answer my query
as to his or her motivations, because we might see something
of the process by which this sort of thing comes about.  But
then, there's the possibility that R. Buttafogo doesn't exist
or someone else was using the ID pseudonomously.

It's evident that there's a great need out there to believe in
this "David" so that cards can be collected and little projects
run off in his name.  Yet in just about every community where
this is taking place, there are real, live sick children who
not only could receive cards but benefit from other, less
remote forms of attention.  Why is unreal "David" so much more
attractive than these real persons?  Is it _because_of_ his
unreality and remoteness?

dwight@tsdiag.UUCP (12/19/88)

In article <3635@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP writes:
> In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
> > There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> 	This pops up periodically.  I have no idea how it got started, but
> it's a hoax.  There is no David, there is no record for the most card
> --
> Roy Smith, System Administrator

Does anyone ever check these things before passing them along? My 6 year old
son came home from school last friday with a piece of paper passed out by
his teacher which told 'Davids' sad tail. Schools were also the ones
warning of the non existant 'Blue Star Tatoo'.

--
D. Sledge, N2BSQ, Concurrent Computer Corp. 2 Crescent PL. Oceanport, NJ 07757
UUCP: ucbvax!rutgers!petsd!tsdiag!dwight                      PH# 201-870-4113

brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (Bruce W. Robinson) (12/20/88)

In article <81945@sun.uucp>, falk@sun.uucp (Ed Falk) writes:
> In article <749@odyssey.ATT.COM>, gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:
> > msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> > > There was recently information posted to misc.misc or misc.consumers
> > > (I can't remember which) which explains that David is in England, and
> > > has already received enough postcards to make the record book, which
> > > will now forever close that category.
> >
> > Today's Asbury Park _Press_ has a wire story on this.  "... The problem
> > is he doesn't really exist, ...
		etc.
> I'm amazed at how badly the story has been corrupted; the name and
> everything else are all wrong.
>
> 	There is a young boy by the name of Ed at the Mountain View
> 	home for the bewildered who is terminally ill.  He has entropy
> 	and the doctors say he has less than sixty years to live....
>		etc.

                        ALSO:

In article <8544@alice.UUCP>, ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> In article <4592@homxc.UUCP>, rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
> > There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
> > Hospital who is terminally ill.  His last wish is to be in the Guiness
> > Book of World Records for having received the MOST Christmas cards EVER.
>
> A news article that appeared yesterday described precisely this
> situation -- a boy named David in Spring Hill, Florida who wants
> zillions of postcards.
>
> The article goes on to explain that the boy does not really exist,
> but that ``bags and bags'' of postcards keep coming.
>
>          etc

This reminds me of a subject discussed in the last chapter of a
popular lay-genetics books I read a few years ago called the
"Selfish Gene" by Robert Audrey (I think); he introduced the
concept of the "meme", an idea which survives because it acts
as if it has the will to survive.  Perhaps in some cases these
ideas survive because they are simply fun to believe in.

We've all probably heard horror stories about poisoned holloween candy,
red hot nickles, razor blades or LSD in treats, etc.  Is this for real or
simply another example of an idea that survives because it is believable?
Other examples: ghosts, tooth-fairy, god, fairness, democrats, and Amway :-)

There was an article recently in the (Boulder) Daily Camera newspaper
claiming that there has "never been a substantiated case of doctored
holloween treats", but they failed to adequately attribute the claim,
(just like I'm failing to properly attribute their article).

Does any netter have solid evidence of such Holloween malignancy?

      66

       ^          ......brucer

trdill@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Diller) (12/20/88)

In article <280@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, trainor@julia.math.ucla.edu (Douglas J. Trainor) writes:
> In article <621@xilinx.UUCP> kevin@xilinx.UUCP (Kevin Kelleher) writes:
>
>     According to a call to the local "Make a wish" foundation this
>     is a hoax.  He may be trying for a record, but as far as they
>     know he is not ill.
>
> This "foundation" was exposed recently on the American television show
> "60 Minutes".  They showed how the whole thing was a scam.  Call CBS in
> New York ( 212-975-4321 ) and ask to talk to someone from "60 Minutes"
> and then ask how you can get a transcript.
>
>     douglas

The local paper the other day ran a story about "david".
Basically the story goes "David was a lad over in England
whose wish was to get into the Guiness book for getting
the most postcards" This was accomplished. David was not the
kids real name either according to the paper. "Davids cancer
is now in remission and he no longer needs or wants the cards.
A woman in florida was trying to help ( Fla. Wish or something)
and that`s how she came into the picture.

Note: I heard that Guiness is no longer accepting entries
in this category.

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (12/20/88)

In article <259@tsdiag.ccur.com> dwight@tsdiag.UUCP writes:
}In article <3635@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP writes:
}> In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:
}> > There is a young boy by the name of David at the Sloan Kettering Cancer
}> 	This pops up periodically.  I have no idea how it got started, but
}> it's a hoax.  There is no David, there is no record for the most card
}> --
}> Roy Smith, System Administrator
}
}Does anyone ever check these things before passing them along? My 6 year old
}son came home from school last friday with a piece of paper passed out by
}his teacher which told 'Davids' sad tail. Schools were also the ones
}warning of the non existant 'Blue Star Tatoo'.
}
Seems like something you should ask your school's principal, if not your town's
school board.  Maybe someone to whom this really happened (you?) really SHOULD
go and complain backup through channels and find out what the scoop is.

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

In article <259@tsdiag.ccur.com> dwight@tsdiag.UUCP writes:
>In article <3635@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP writes:
>> In article <4592@homxc.UUCP> rick@homxc.UUCP (R.BUTTAFOGO) writes:

Just what does "buttafogo" mean, anyway?

>Does anyone ever check these things before passing them along? My 6 year old
>son came home from school last friday with a piece of paper passed out by
>his teacher which told 'Davids' sad tail. Schools were also the ones
>warning of the non existant 'Blue Star Tatoo'.

They also tend to teach that Ben Franklin discovered electricity.

				--Blair
				  "...and that 1+1=2, but that's
				   neither here nor there..."

brucer@drutx.ATT.COM (Bruce W. Robinson) (12/21/88)

In article <1099@actnyc.UUCP>, gcf@actnyc.UUCP (Gordon Fitch) writes:

> [ stuff about self-deception ]
>
> .....  I wish the latest original poster, R. Buttafogo,
> would answer my query as to his or her motivations, etc.....
>
> [ more stuff about self-deception ]

Reference the name R. Buttafogo, a thought:  There is a beach about
ten miles south of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil named Botafogo, and a
street in Ipanema named Rua Botafogo; interesting psuedonym???

Given the psychology of a believable idea, I doubt if it's possible
to stop this stupidity once it gets started.  People are such children
that they (we) will believe anything; this combines in deadly fashion
with the desire to care about the things we believe, and the desire to
have other people care about the things we care about.  This David drool,
the poison Holloween candy drool, AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
is there no way to stop ?????????  I'm a 46 year-old person and I swear I
still catch myself not stepping on the cracks in the sidewalk.

    66

     ^      .....brucer

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/05/89)

Someday, some dying little kid is going to really get the idea of trying
to get the most postcards ( maybe by hearing about one of these hoaxes ).
The poor kid is going to kick the bucket without a single postcard 'cause
everyone will think it's another hoax!

						Tim Smith

In article <13218@cup.portal.com> ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) writes:
}Someday, some dying little kid is going to really get the idea of trying
}to get the most postcards ( maybe by hearing about one of these hoaxes ).
}The poor kid is going to kick the bucket without a single postcard 'cause
}everyone will think it's another hoax!
}
}						Tim Smith

How does Portal do it?  Do they get them off the streets, or
to they have to sign for them at one of those places and bring
them back when they're finished with them?

I'll tell you one thing: I wish I had a copy of Portal's user
interface.  It must be operable by a rhesus monkey.

-

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (01/11/89)

Do you have a point?  Is the concept of humor alien to you?
How about giving a reasonable name or organization so that
you can be properly ridiculed?

					Tim Smith