[misc.misc] New Phone Guide Available For Usenet

telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (TELECOM Moderator) (01/16/89)

Have you ever been given a phone number to call back, and wondered *where*
the number was located? Have you ever had someone post a number for a
service of some kind, a computer bulletin board, or some other place to call
without the location being given?

I've prepared a file entitled [TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area
Codes]. It is based on recent messages in the Digest and includes the
following information --

1) A listing in numerical order of all all area codes in North America.

2) A complete breakdown of all prefixes in area codes 800 (toll free In-WATS)
and 900 (Value added information services). With each prefix is shown the name
of the telephone company (800) or Information Provider (900) responsible for
the various phone lines on that prefix.

3) Miscellaneous information about area code 700 and the types of services
offered.

4) A technical discussion of how calls to 700/800/900 numbers are handled.

It is available to anyone who wants a copy two ways --

         ftp bu-cs.bu.edu   (usual ftp procedure)
         then  cd telecom-archives  (file name) guide.to.areacodes

If you are unable to ftp because your system does not allow it or you are not
on the internet, then by writing me and asking for your copy. I will send it
back by email promptly.

         telecom@bu-cs.bu.edu   ask for Guide to North American Area Codes
         Put your mailing address *in your message to me*. Please do not
         expect me to study the headers until I figure it out.

The file size is 774/33,887, so you should expect a large file in return, and
have space to accomodate it.

If you like it and find it useful, drop a note to the people named in it to
thank them for their extensive research.

Patrick Townson
TELECOM Digest Moderator

mitch@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) (01/17/89)

In article <27267@bu-cs.BU.EDU> telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>I've prepared a file entitled [TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area
>Codes].

>It is available to anyone who wants a copy two ways --

>         ftp bu-cs.bu.edu   (usual ftp procedure)
>         then  cd telecom-archives  (file name) guide.to.areacodes

Unfortunately, it is -rw-rw---- and when I tried to ftp it I got
550 guide.to.areacodes: Permission denied.

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@squid.tn.cornell.edu

ms@cbnews.ATT.COM (Michael S. Stansbery) (01/17/89)

To: PATRICK TOWNSON
    TELECOM Digest Moderator

I would like the file of the Phone Guide sent to me.
This is the guide to North American Area Codes that I am referring to.
Thanks.
My E-mail address is
                   mss@cbtsps.ATT.COM
		         or
		   att!cbtsps!mss

Thanks Again,
Mike Stansbery

patrick@chinet.chi.il.us (Patrick A. Townson) (01/17/89)

In article <7185@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> mitch@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Mitch Collinsworth) writes:

>Unfortunately, it is -rw-rw---- and when I tried to ftp it I got
>550 guide.to.areacodes: Permission denied.

It is now open to read. If you can ftp you can now receive it. However on
Monday night/Tuesday morning I spent about two hours respond to over 150
requests, and sent them out myself. There were many people who noted the
file was locked in error. Anyone who wrote me as of Monday evening should
have their copy now, or by sometime Tuesday depending on the mail, etc.

Please DO NOT send messages to me here at chinet. Use the
'telecom@bu-cs.bu.edu' if you write me on this subject. I was frankly
shocked to see the huge number of inquiries. It took over two hours to get
the guide out to everyone who wrote, although its my own fault the archive
file was locked in error.

Patrick Townson
--
Patrick Townson
  patrick@chinet.chi.il.us / US Mail: 60690-1570 (personal zip code)

ptownson@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Patrick Townson) (01/19/89)

In article <27267@bu-cs.BU.EDU> telecom@bu-cs.BU.EDU (TELECOM Moderator) writes:

>>I've prepared a file entitled [TELECOM Digest Guide to North American Area
>>Codes].

====  and in the past few days I have sent out *hundreds* of copies. I was
amazed at the demand for an area code lookup table.

I have finished filling orders for all the mail in my mailbox as of Wednesday
night around midnight. Typically, these were people who wrote me on
Wednesday afternoon or early evening.

If you ordered it and did not receive it by now (sometime during the day on
Thursday) then it is because either
 a) I did not get your letter, thus did not know to fill the order
 b) I did get your letter and filled the order, only to get it back for a
      bad address, etc.

If you wrote me anytime in the past few days up to and including Wednesday
afternoon, and you do not receive it, then write and ask again, marking it
'second request' or something.

I've answered big mails before; but three hundred or so requests in two or
three days just about swamped me.

Patrick Townson

t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP (Deepak Seth) (01/20/89)

Hello Patrick!  I would like to congratualate you on you accomplishment in
compiling a list of phone numbers for North American Area Codes (for telcom)
I would like a copy of this list please.

Thank you in advance.

Deepak Seth

"There is more to life than increasing its speed."  Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
(uunet!coil.cs.orst.edu!deepaks)
(t-deeps@microsoft.UUCP)
(deepaks@coil.cs.orst.edu)