[misc.misc] First concert from space--update

talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) (02/20/89)

A company in Los Angeles called Orbit Productions has been formed to

stage the first ever concert from space.  A large portion of the proceeds

from this venture is to be donated to various charities.

The following is a letter that was sent to Mikhael Gorbachev that

explains the current position to date.

Chairman Mikhael Gorbachev

The Kremlin

Moscow, Russia

Dear Chairman Gorbachev:

We  have organized a company in the U.S.A.  whose

main goal is to produce the first ever musical concert  broadcast

from space.  To that end, we are in negotiations with some of the

most  famous  musical  stars  in the world,  many  of  whom  have

expressed an interest in performing while orbiting high above the

earth.   We  of course,  have been in touch with NASA,  and while

they  are  receptive to the idea,  are not booking  civilians  on

shuttle flights for the foreseeable future.

We  would like to explore the possibility of booking passage  for

our  "star",  on  one  of your spacecraft  with  a  view  towards

broadcasting  the  concert live from your space station  while  a

pre-rehearsed band plays the accompaniment on earth from a yet to

be determined venue.

The  boldness  of the concept provides a  unique  opportunity  to

further  stimulate  international  harmony between  our  nations,

where  the  artist  would be American,  but the  stage  would  be

Soviet.   Our aim is to do this concert as close to Christmas  of

1990  as  possible.   We would appreciate learning what  are  the

available launch dates.   We are prepared to pay any price within

reason.

We intend to donate a portion of the proceeds to further research

into  the cure of Retinitis Pigmentosa,  the World Wildlife  Fund

and  others.   We  would  also  be happy to donate  some  of  the

proceeds to a charity of your choosing.   We await your favorable

reply.

Yours sincerely,

Stanley Ralph Ross

Martin Genis

Directors

Stanley Ralph Ross would appreciate any technical suggestions that will

make this "space concert" better.  Please direct all your suggestions

or questions to Stanley Ralph Ross, Orbit Prods., 7865 Willoughby Ave.,

Los Angeles, CA  90046, FAX #213-656-6446.

maniac@garnet.berkeley.edu (George W. Herbert) (02/22/89)

And possibly peter gabriel.

george

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (02/23/89)

In article <1885@randvax.UUCP> talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) writes:
>A company in Los Angeles called Orbit Productions has been formed to
>stage the first ever concert from space.  A large portion of the proceeds
>from this venture is to be donated to various charities.

I usually applaud activities designed to promote charity and I don't really
want to spoil anyone's fun, but it seems to me that our space program (and
that of the Soviets) has suffered egregiously from people who want to turn it
to some nonscientific purpose.  The shuttle program suffered a spectacular
setback, not just because astronauts died, but because certain politicians
wanted to turn it into a real media event.  There is no justification whatever
for sending Senators, teachers, and singers into orbit.  The Soviet Union
shouldn't be sending up astronauts from different nations just to score
political points.  There is more than enough work up there for scientists and
professional astronauts.  Countries such as the US and the USSR use up huge
resources to keep these activities going, and it is a shame that people can't
understand the worth of the investment without a sugar coating.  Perhaps we
need these kinds of activities to keep the space program alive, but I think
that people would be much more receptive to it if our leaders tried to
promote the space program from loftier motives--e.g. the advancement of
science and the destiny of the human race.

I apologize to Shel and others in her company for being such a curmudgeon.  It
is just my personal opinion that we are not yet at a point where the activity
that they contemplate is justifiable.

--
Rick Wojcik   csnet:  rwojcik@atc.boeing.com
              uucp:   uw-beaver!ssc-vax!bcsaic!rwojcik

jackson@adobe.COM (Curtis Jackson) (02/24/89)

In article <1885@randvax.UUCP> talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) writes:
}Dear Chairman Gorbachev:
}We  have organized a company in the U.S.A.  whose
}main goal is to produce the first ever musical concert  broadcast
}from space.  To that end, we are in negotiations with some of the

You have friends who are in desperate financial state and incredibly
low on morale, and you go to their house and say, "Yo, Fred!  How's
about you let us use your car to go to Tahoe -- and you pay the gas
money.  We're gonna visit an old folk's home there, and we need
wheels and we can't pay you for the use of your car.  Oh, you stay
here and tell your old lady and the kids why they can't use the car
for the weekend."

Sound crass?  It's not much worse than this concert crap.  Mikhail
Gorbachev is trying to reform his country.  He is facing enormous
budget deficits, rampant alcoholism and food shortages, gang
and Mafia-style activity crippling his production and making his
streets unsafe, and is quite literally in danger of being deposed,
offed, or "disappeared" on a daily basis.  He has pissed a lot of
people off.

Now you want him to tell the people of his country that he is going
to spend the megabucks necessary to launch the shuttle just so some
Americans and Russians can broadcast a concert from space to radios
and TVs his own people don't have, can't get, and even if they could
get couldn't afford?

This is the height of liberal altruistic bad taste.  And since I are
a liberal myself I'm quite embarrassed by it.  Perhaps your next
little venture will be to ask the spiritual leader of your local
black ghetto if you can boot them out of their church for a Sunday
so you can go in there and sell beautiful imported chocolates they
can't afford -- with all proceeds going to Muscular Dystrophy, of
course.

I find the arrogance of Americans as a group very annoying these
days.  "Mr. Gorbachev, do this because *we'll* like you more for it,
and that is of course what you want."  Gorbachev wants technology
to help feed and cloth his countrypersons and bring them into the
mid-twentieth century, and glasnost is strictly a vehicle to make
that possible.  I applaud him for trying to do his job -- make
the USSR a better place to live.  I do not and cannot applaud
the lack of tact shown by Shel and Co. in this matter of the concert.

Follow-ups have been directed to talk.politics.misc, since this is
a political issue -- not a musical or shuttle one, and certainly
not a headline I've seen lately.
--

Curtis Jackson @ Adobe Systems in Mountain View, CA  (415-962-4905)
Internet: jackson@adobe.com	uucp: ...!{apple|decwrl|sun}!adobe!jackson

In article <10325@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
>>A company in Los Angeles called Orbit Productions has been formed to
>>stage the first ever concert from space.  A large portion of the proceeds
>>from this venture is to be donated to various charities.
>
>...  There is no justification whatever
>for sending Senators, teachers, and singers into orbit.  The Soviet Union
>shouldn't be sending up astronauts from different nations just to score
>political points...

They aren't any more; all future foreign cosmonauts will be paying
passengers.  It would surprise me greatly if Orbit Productions got a free
ride.  Almost certainly they will be asked to pay the commercial price
for their trip.

What, pray tell, is wrong with carrying people into orbit for a fee?
The airlines carry senators, teachers, and singers into the sky all the
time.  "Things that make profits don't have to make excuses."

You should not need permission from government bureaucrats to go into
space for purposes *you* consider worthwhile, assuming that you can pay
the fare and that there's a vacant seat.  It's truly mind-blowing that
to book a spaceliner seat in the "Free" World you need a very good reason,
years of patience, and approval from 57 layers of bureaucrats, while to
book one behind the Iron Curtain you just need the fare in hard currency.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

brooke@ingr.com (Brooke King) (02/25/89)

In article <10325@bcsaic.UUCP> rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) writes:
| I apologize to Shel and others in her company for being such a
| curmudgeon.  It is just my personal opinion that we are not yet
| at a point where the activity that they contemplate is
| justifiable.

See talk.politics.theory for why I don't think Rick owes Shel or
anyone else an apology for being a "curmudgeon."

brooke@ingr.com uunet!ingr!brooke W+1 205 7727796 H+1 205 8950824

brooke@ingr.com (Brooke King) (02/26/89)

In article <1989Feb24.175109.11738@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
| You should not need permission from government bureaucrats to go into
| space for purposes *you* consider worthwhile, assuming that you can pay
| the fare and that there's a vacant seat.  It's truly mind-blowing that
| to book a spaceliner seat in the "Free" World you need a very good reason,
| years of patience, and approval from 57 layers of bureaucrats, while to
| book one behind the Iron Curtain you just need the fare in hard currency.

I guess this would be truly mind-blowing if Mr. Spencer did not
correctly have to put quotation marks around the 'Free' in 'Free
World.'  Some countries in the "Free" world are freer than they
have been.  Some are less so.  Certainly, the USA is an example
of the latter, but I currently would not want to call any other
place home.  ("Sweet Home Alabama" and "Oh Fair New Mexico"
really appeal to me!)

The Iron Curtain launchers are simply facing the reality of their
need for hard currency and the results of the (until recently)
reality of the US government's foolish, all-the-eggs-in-one-
expensive-shuttle-basket, monopolistic launch policy.  They
oughtn't be credited with any love of free enterprise.

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (03/10/89)

In article <1989Mar8.181638.1769@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Why [are space flights] "priceless"?  The Soviets have had no hesitation in
>putting a price on it.  They seem to feel that they have enough flights available that
>they can afford to sell a few.  They're right.

Soviet politicians, like ours, wish to exploit the space program to achieve
short term political goals.  Right now, it tickles their fancy to have the
appearance of routine space flights when our program is in disarray.  They
aren't just selling flights.  They are broadcasting a propaganda message.  How
much profit do you think they make by 'selling' their flights to to
Westerners?  This is not a commercial exercise.  It is a propaganda exercise.
And Soviet science suffers from these kinds of shenanigans.  (The CPSU has a
long history of trashing science in the interest of politics.)

Each space flight is priceless because we can only afford to support a limited
number.  We know so little about space and its effects on humans that we need
every opportunity to expand our knowledge.  We are still in the stage of
trying to find commercial value in space research.  We don't find out anything
by sending entertainers into orbit.  All we do is lose an opportunity to learn
more about a very hostile environment.  I believe that the survival of the
human race is ultimately at stake.  We might survive the damage to our
biosphere and the depletion of our non-renewable resources if we learn how to
colonize space.  Perhaps polluting industries can be moved off-planet.
Perhaps new sources of energy and raw materials can be developed.  There is
always the danger that space flight will be ended permanently because we can
no longer afford the resources to sustain it.  I hope that we can make manned
space flight commercially viable before that happens.  Send the singers up
later--when we really can justify the extravagance.  We are still trying to
bootstrap our space program.

>The Soviets already have a policy to the effect that the price is negotiable
>if the passenger will be doing experiments that are of interest to them, so
>in effect any full-fare passenger is paying a premium for displacing science.

Even Jake Garn did some 'useful' things.  But there is enough work up there so
that it is more cost-effective to let scientists perform the experiments.
They, at least, know what they are doing.

>Agreed that this was reprehensible.  However, it's totally irrelevant to
>what I was saying.  Senators do not get free rides on airlines.

Really?  You've never heard of political junkets?  :-)  What you mean is that
the airlines don't reimburse the government for our perpipathetic pols.

>>... The space program is not, and never was, a profit-making enterprise.
>>We all wish that it could be, but it is still a research program.  The viable
>>commercial uses of space do not include public transportation and media
>>extravaganzas at this time...
>Speak for your own country, comrade. :-)  Truly spacefaring nations (there
>is currently one on Earth) can afford to use space for many purposes.

You insist that the space program turns a profit?  Do you have an estimate on
how much money it brings into the national treasury?  How much do you think
the Soviets are making?  This is indeed good news.

>Please read the following sentence very carefully.  The USSR is selling
>commercial flights into space, today.  This is a verifiable fact; call them
>up and ask them.

Call up who?  Pravda?  The Soviet Embassy in Washington?  The State Bureau for
Never Lying to the Public?  That's a branch of the KGB.  :-)

>At one time, there were people who were interested in taking it over and
>operating it as a commercial venture.  It's become a bit less attractive
>since, but US government policy has a lot to do with that.  (An airliner
>crash does not shut down an airline for 2-3 years.)

The 2-3 year shutdown took place, in part, because our politicians had turned
the event into a media spectacle.  We've had astronauts die before.  Their
deaths are as tragic as anyone's, but they're paid to take risks.  The point
of putting a civilian teacher up there was to demonstrate the safety and
competence of our space program.  The public really had their attention
focused on that flight.  Do you really think that this is the time to send up
a bunch of entertainers?  Another disaster with them, and you can kiss our
space program goodbye.  The idea of getting people to "take over" our space
program, operating it as a commercial venture, went out the window because it
was impractical.  It was dreamed up by people who thought that the free market
was the answer to everything.  Right now, space is a venture for governments,
not private industries.  We all look forward to the day when that changes, if
it ever gets a chance to change.

--

lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) (03/11/89)

From article <10644@bcsaic.UUCP>, by rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik):

"...  Send the singers up
"later--when we really can justify the extravagance.  We are still trying to
"bootstrap our space program.

What's 'bootstrapping', Rick?  When you expend resources in such a way
as to gain more resources, right?  The space program will be voted
more money by congress when congressmen think it will make them
popular to do that.  Then the way to bootstrap is to spend on
public relations and promotion so that space begins to sound fun,
because that's what our citizens value.  You're a serious minded
person -- if most voters were like you, that wouldn't be an appropriate
strategy.  But arguing for more funds on the grounds that it will
increase the chance we will have colonies before we make our planet
unlivable, which we surely will sooner or later, is just not
going to work.  I would favor a strategy that works over one that
sounds high-minded.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

rwojcik@bcsaic.UUCP (Rick Wojcik) (03/14/89)

In article <3436@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee) writes:
>... But arguing for more funds on the grounds that it will
>increase the chance we will have colonies before we make our planet
>unlivable, which we surely will sooner or later, is just not
>going to work.  I would favor a strategy that works over one that
>sounds high-minded.

We disagree (as usual, my friend :-) over tactics.  I, too, favor policies
that work.  Unlike you, I believe that such policies are not inconsistent with
ones that sound high-minded.  You and I both remember an era--under John
Kennedy--when high-mindedness got things done.  I consider your tactics to be
pandering, and ultimately self-defeating.  The public can always be fed bread
and circuses.  But if it is treated as capable of making responsible and
intelligent decisions, it might begin to behave as if it could.  Treat the
public like a child that needs to be coddled, and it will behave like one.