[misc.misc] "Pressure Groups"

dswinney@afit-ab.arpa (David V. Swinney) (05/24/89)

Mike Waters (aka: Strawberry Jammer) writes:

>I suspect that they are as "focused" on the 1st Amendment as the NRA is on
>the 2nd. I don't see what the problem is with that.

[deletions]

>Voting is really just the start - pressure groups (NRA, "Right to Life",
>"Ban it and Burn it" etc.) get the power they do because people are not
>involved.

It might be more appropriate to say:

"People who do get involved get the power they do because more people
are not involved."

A "pressure group" exists *because* people are involved.  If you disagree
with what a "pressure group" represents, then you should form your own.

If enough people think the way you do, then you too can have a voting block
to exert pressure.

Politicians will pay attention to those groups that demonstrate the ability
to mobilize their supporters come election time.

Yes, get involved, but don't attack those of us who are involved for
holding our own opinions.  (I'm the NRA, and I vote...)

dvs