[misc.misc] Dropping Intelligence Levels

reb@squid.rtech.com ("REB - Tennessee Lamb") (01/17/90)

In article <3593@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
>in rec.humor.funny:
>Wide-banded plastic slinkies with a different color on each side work best.

Excuse me, since when are slinkies made with plastic? It's been a while since
I've played with one...

                                reb

                                reb@rtech.com reb%rtech.com@lll-winken.llnl.GOV
                                h:861 Washington Westwood NJ 07675 201-666-9207
I've been warped by the rain,
driven by the snow drunk and dirty don't you know and I'm still willin'...

marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) (01/17/90)

In article <3593@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP (Pete Gontier) writes:
>OK, well, some of the fun is self-evident. But it's not the kind of thing
>you would think of unless you were as sick as I am. :-)
>--- 1 ---
>Bite down relatively hard on a couple of links of slinky at one of the ends.
>Stick your chin out.
>Drop the slinky.
>--- 2 ---
>Hold the two ends of the slinky together so that it forms a donut.
>Hold the donut close to a flat, simple surface. Low light conditions may
>also help.
> [ more diverting fun stuff deleted ]

Pete, look, stop it.  Stop having so much fun, or the DEA will reschedule
slinkies.

Sheesh.  At least have the good sense not to post it where the NSA can
read it.

;-)

--
Marc de Groot (KG6KF)         |"...few people know what to do with a computer.
Noe Systems, San Francisco    | They decide that running an operating system

honig@ics.uci.edu (David A. Honig) (01/18/90)

In article <760@noe.UUCP> marc@noe.UUCP (Marc de Groot) writes:
>Pete, look, stop it.  Stop having so much fun, or the DEA will reschedule
>slinkies.
>
>Sheesh.  At least have the good sense not to post it where the NSA can
>read it.
>Marc de Groot (KG6KF)         |"...few people know what to do with a computer.

Not only slinkies, but slinky-analogs..."This law shall be taken as
scheduling all toys resembling slinkies in structure or effect...any
such recreational sensory-motor parephenalia is hereby to be under the
jurisdiction of..."  And then they'd start 'watching' large purchases
of flat metal or plastic wire...busting bathtub slinky-labs..some
renegade mechanical engineer will discover slinkycrack, fast thin
slinkys that break within minutes of playing but wiggle and descend
stairs more intensely than regular slinkys..leaving you wanting
more...it will be shown that AIDS can be passed by sharing slinkys, by
cutting your finger on the wire where someone else cut their finger
recently too...third world countries will continue to master the
simple industrial machinery to make slinkys, to injection-mold plastic
ones using recycled materials..revolutions are funded with slinky sales..

Seriously though, re toys: check out "Fidgets" in the toy section of
Thrify's (in Ca., at least).  They are coaster-sized
pressure-sensitvie liquid crystal doo-dads.  Quite nice effect.

--
David A. Honig
"Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits