[misc.misc] Rolex watch for sale

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/19/90)

In article <12559198238007@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu> ARNIE@osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu (ARNIE SKUROW) writes:
>"Biff" writes that he has always wanted a Rolex watch.  They are real neat
>and he hears they are real accurate."
>
>I'll dispute that.  I have a Rolex GMT Master that I purchased as a graduation
>present to myself in 1965.  From the day I took it out of the jewelry shop it
>gained 1 to 2 minutes per day, even though it had a fancy chronometer
>certification certificate.

[rest of story concerning a hopelessly inaccurate Rolex watch deleted]

You had a bad one and should perhaps have told Rolex to either keep
trying or get a new watch from them to replace it.

The difference between a chronometer and a watch, for those who don't
know, is that the former must pass tests for accuracy in 5 different
positions (upside down, 45 degrees tilter, etc.) to a certain
level of accuracy. If it passes, you can legally call it a chronometer.
Rolex gets 95% of the chronometer certificates, Omega and Huer get
most of the rest, respectivly. The Omega Constellation is acually a more
accurate watch than a Rolex, but the Rolex is much more indestructible.

I had a stainless steel datejust from 76 to 80. It was never off
more than 3 seconds a day, indeed at one point I took it to the
lavish Rolex office in Toronto and told them this. A nice man
in a white lab coat said ``ZEES is not acceptible!'', took my
watch away, and came back 5 minutes later and said ``now it is
PERFECT''. It was. Even though I committed the cardinal sin of
taking it off at night, it was still more accurate than quartz LCD
watches of the day. I lost it in the ocean in 1980.

I wouls point out however that the Timex Titanium is now just
as accurate, just as indestructible and even looks a hell of
a lot like a Rolex... for $50.

Is Rolex the best watch in the world ? Probably. It is a very
good comprimise between craftmanship and durability.

In an absolute sense, it's the third best watch, coming
behind Vacheron et Constantine, and the #1: Patek Philippe.