[misc.misc] Phone Harassment

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) (03/15/90)

In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
>lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
>the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
>guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
>get work done on his ruptured eardrum.

Sure, and the TV station can blind all the viewers by shining a laser
into the camera.  Does anyone have any evidence that anyone actually
got his eardrum ruptured this way?  I don't mean, "I heard from a
friend", I mean like first-hand experiences or articles from reputable
sources.  If this happened to somebody, the first thing they would do,
in this society, is sue the phone company and probably get rich.

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (03/15/90)

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:
> In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> >
> >There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
> >lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
> >the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
> >guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
> >get work done on his ruptured eardrum.
>
> Sure, and the TV station can blind all the viewers by shining a laser
> into the camera.  Does anyone have any evidence that anyone actually
> got his eardrum ruptured this way?  I don't mean, "I heard from a
> friend", I mean like first-hand experiences or articles from reputable
> sources.  If this happened to somebody, the first thing they would do,
> in this society, is sue the phone company and probably get rich.

Considering the rather low bandwidth of the phone signals and the way
the system is designed, I would bet that a signal loud enough to
actually cause serious ear damage would come through the line as
mostly distortion....  a phone connection isn't just a microphone on
one end w/ an amplifier on the other-- the switching equipment in
between will define the limits as being far below that dangerous of a
level.

obSex:  To the person comparing Sports and Sex:

my sport -- Frisbee Ultimate... a non-contact sport. But I can
guarantee you that my sex life is a full-contact sport...

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so.  So there.  <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them..."

gary@oak.circa.ufl.edu (Milo Kreuger (Freddy Kreuger's wimpy brother)) (03/15/90)

In article <1185@gtx.com>, al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:
>In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
>>lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
>>the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
>>guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
>>get work done on his ruptured eardrum.
>Sure, and the TV station can blind all the viewers by shining a laser
>into the camera.  Does anyone have any evidence that anyone actually
>got his eardrum ruptured this way?  I don't mean, "I heard from a
>friend", I mean like first-hand experiences or articles from reputable
>sources.  If this happened to somebody, the first thing they would do,
>in this society, is sue the phone company and probably get rich.

  If the phone the scum is using is high quality enough, it could cause a
certain amount of temporary deafness... Too often, though, cheap phones and
distant connections muffle the sound a great deal. At most he'd be annoyed.

  From what the original poster said, it sounds like someone in the phone
company, possibly a repairman who links into the system at whatever telephone
pole or cable node he happens to be at...
  What sort of situation would make it so impossible to get an unlisted number?
It must be something pretty important or serious to not want to take about the
only other option available to stop such a persistant person...

(Perhaps Isaac is lonely...)
                gary%maple.decnet@pine.circa.ufl.edu : Internet

Our solar death that we deserve for being ignorant with our world!
    We will fry, we will die.
    We never learn, so now we BURN!
It's time for the human race to die and give our world a chance to thrive!
                                 --From "No Turning Back" by S.O.D.

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (03/15/90)

In <1185@gtx.com> al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:
>Sure, and the TV station can blind all the viewers by shining a laser
>into the camera.  Does anyone have any evidence that anyone actually
>got his eardrum ruptured this way?  I don't mean, "I heard from a
>friend", I mean like first-hand experiences or articles from reputable
>sources.  If this happened to somebody, the first thing they would do,
>in this society, is sue the phone company and probably get rich.

I, of course, have no technical references handy. There is a decibel
limit to the sound going through the telephone, and while it is high
enough to be annoying, it is not high enough to cause damage. If
you really care, you could ask on comp.dcom.telecom.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
What is it about death that bothers me? Probably the hours.	- Woody Allen

mpe@shamash.cdc.com (2375) (03/15/90)

A telephone only has so much frequency bandwidth and a fixed
volume gain.  If thousands of watts of energy are screamed into one
end of the phone, a small (limited and clipped) amount of signal is
actually transmitted.

ESV@psuvm.psu.edu (ANDREW COLL esv@psuvm.psu.edu) (03/16/90)

>In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>
>>There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
>>lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
>>the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
>>guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
>>get work done on his ruptured eardrum.

I seem to remember that in older ITT or Western Electric telephone handsets,
the earpiece had a varistor across it to protect the user from excessive
volumes and such.  I don't know if an El-cheapo phone has a similar device
installed but from what I've seen, the cheap 1.5" speaker would probably
self-destruct.

Andrew Coll       ESV@PSUVM.BITNET
                  ESV@PSUVM.PSU.EDU

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (03/16/90)

I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
handset..........

--
|Opus and Frodo live! | "Sometimes, when your cat just died and you've cut
off your favorite appendage(s) with a power saw and there's epoxy in the
Visine and you brush your teeth with Clearasil it helps to say 'What the
f*ck'" |  This signature consists of non-blanks separated by blanks.

terry@spcvxa.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
> I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
> involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
> I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
> send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
> handset..........

  Uh-huh. Right. First, if you indeed send a high-current "surge through Ma
Bell's wires" the first and _only_ thing you're going to take out are the
fuses for _your_ phone line. Even supposing you got past that, _and_ that
it was a local call _and_ it was on a mechanical switch (which is getting
less and less likely), the phone on the far end is transformer-coupled, so
all they would hear is a brief "click". Since any calls outside the local
mechanical switch are transformer- or electonically- converted to 4-wire,
it wouldn't get out of your local switch. Likewise, when you feed the A/D
converter in an electronic switch, it won't see it either.

  By the way, current local loop cable is something like #24 or #26 cable
(down from #18 tin-over-copper in the old cotton-wrapped pressurized lead-
jacketed cables). You can't put a lot of current through #26. If you did,
you'd melt the cable (that's why they have the fuses at their end). If you
did melt the cable, you'd have some _very_ irate telephone security folks
visiting you - or at least you would have when I was working for the phone
company...

	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

dana@lando.la.locus.com (Dana Myers) (03/17/90)

In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
>involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
>I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
>send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
>handset..........

   Give us all a break. There are a whole host of reasons why this won't
work. To start with, there is a reason why telephone handsets are made of
non-conductive material - to protect the user against electrical shock
due to lightning strikes or (possibly) power lines shorted to phone lines.

   Furthermore, there isn't necessarily a DC circuit from your phone
to the offender's. In fact, without much data to back this up, I'd assert
there is a great likelihood that no DC circuit exists on almost any phone
call today. What if an extra-terrestrial link is in use (satellite link)?
Where are the wires?

  Such an approach would do no more than fry the phone the battery, capacitor
and wires are applied to.

* Dana H. Myers WA6ZGB		| Views expressed here are	*
* (213) 337-5136		| mine and do not necessarily	*
* dana@locus.com		| reflect those of my employer	*

ruck@sphere.UUCP (John R Ruckstuhl Jr) (03/17/90)

In article <AZzm_Iy00VoE46Oac6@andrew.cmu.edu>, wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
>al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) writes:
>>In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
>>>
>>>There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
>>>lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
>>>the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
>>>guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
>>>get work done on his ruptured eardrum.
>>
>Considering the rather low bandwidth of the phone signals and the way
>the system is designed, I would bet that a signal loud enough to
>actually cause serious ear damage would come through the line as
>mostly distortion....  a phone connection isn't just a microphone on
>one end w/ an amplifier on the other-- the switching equipment in
>between will define the limits as being far below that dangerous of a
>level.

Based on experiments conducted while I was a college freshman, I assert
that causing ear damage by the means discussed previously is not
possible.
There are several ways the large amplitude signal !might! be limited:
I believe one or more are true.
1.  The microphone saturates.
2.  The switcher at telephone central office has protective limiting
    and/or conditioning.
3.  If the signal is digitized to be transmitted between central
    office's, that digitization limits the signal.
4.  The speaker saturates.
There is likely (but I don't know) a regulation (FCC?) on the signal
levels output by one's telephone (to the central office).
Someone with test equipment at their desk might want to apply test
signals to their office-mate's telephone handset speaker to confirm or
contradict the theory of !speaker! saturation occuring below sound
levels capable of causing pain.

I don't believe limiting is more conspicuous in poor-quality personal
telephone equipment.
--
John R Ruckstuhl, Jr	...!hplabs!hp-lsd!sphere!ruck

jim@mmsac.UUCP (Jim Lips Earl) (03/17/90)

> I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
> involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
> I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
> send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
> handset..........

That sounds hokey to me.  It is my understanding that there is no
"direct" connection from your phone thru the phone company to the
caller on the other end.  I think it goes thru several amplifiers and
limiting circuitry in between you and the caller.

Also, I know the phone company used to have "fuses" on each user's
phone "pair".  So if you hooked, say, 120vac across your phone line,
these fuses would blow, and you would be without service until the
phone company replaces the fuses.  I'm sure they'd be fairly pissed at
doing such a thing to their equipment, also.
--
      Jim "Lips" Earl             UUCP: ucbvax!ucdavis!csusac!mmsac!jim
          KB6KCP              INTERNET: mmsac!jim@csusac.csus.edu

whs70@pyuxe.UUCP (W. H. Sohl) (03/17/90)

> In article <90071.220057SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu> SAB121@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> >
> >There's an even more interesting version of that going around near where I
> >lived. Get an air horn like the type used for small boats. Keep it handy by
> >the phone. Next time the bastard calls, give him a shot of that. It's almost
> >guarenteed that in 24 hrs or less he'll be stopping by an emergency room to
> >get work done on his ruptured eardrum.

The telecommunications circuits do NOT allow the passing of a signal
that would be loud enough to rupture an eardrum.  Today's telephone
circuits pass a nominal range of frequencies of 300 to 3000 hertz
within a finite range of amplitude (loudness).  Telephone circuitry
is designed to carry voice and is not designed, therefore, with
the type of dynamic range of frequency and amplitude of even the
cheapest forms of stero equipment.

Bill Sohl
Bellcore (Bell Communications Research, Inc.)
bellcore!pyuxe!whs70

In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM> benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
>involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
>I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
>send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
>handset..........

Ben, you have a lot to learn about Fiber Optics.

				--Blair
				  "Molten silanes, anyone?"

jon@Apple.COM (Jon Singer) (03/17/90)

In article <45.260081ad@spcvxa.spc.edu> terry@spcvxa.spc.edu (Terry Kennedy) writes:
>In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
>> I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
>> involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
>> I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
>> send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
>> handset..........
>
>  Uh-huh. Right. First, if you indeed send a high-current "surge through Ma
>Bell's wires" the first and _only_ thing you're going to take out are the
>fuses for _your_ phone line. Even supposing you got past that, _and_ that
>it was a local call _and_ it was on a mechanical switch (which is getting
>less and less likely), the phone on the far end is transformer-coupled, so
>all they would hear is a brief "click". Since any calls outside the local
>mechanical switch are transformer- or electonically- converted to 4-wire,
>it wouldn't get out of your local switch. Likewise, when you feed the A/D
>converter in an electronic switch, it won't see it either.
>
>  By the way, current local loop cable is something like #24 or #26 cable
>(down from #18 tin-over-copper in the old cotton-wrapped pressurized lead-
>jacketed cables). You can't put a lot of current through #26. If you did,
>you'd melt the cable (that's why they have the fuses at their end). If you
>did melt the cable, you'd have some _very_ irate telephone security folks
>visiting you - or at least you would have when I was working for the phone
>company...
>
>	Terry Kennedy		Operations Manager, Academic Computing
>	terry@spcvxa.bitnet	St. Peter's College, US
>	terry@spcvxa.spc.edu	(201) 915-9381

There is one more interesting fact, which I have not yet seen mention
of here: Telephone handsets are made of PLASTIC. You could probably
put a good solid thousand volts on the stupid thing, and the person
talking into it would never be the wiser, unless they stuck their
tongue through the itty bitty holes. Fat chance!

Even if you _could_ put a high-voltage pulse through it (doesn't
matter how small the wires are - remember, if the pulse is short, you
aren't going to push enough coulombs down the wire to blow any fuses),
and even if the phone _weren't_ transformer-coupled, the worst you
could do is offend the person's ear with a fairly obnoxious "BANG!"
sound.

I suspect that this technique might have worked...about a hundred
years ago. I think that the handsets were still metal then, and the
switching was all definitely capable of handling DC.

Cheers from Your Little Electronic Friend (or is that Fiend?),
jon singer (Former Hardware Hack, current technical writer. When I'm
not at work or in bed, sometimes I design and build pulsed lasers. I
typically operate them at 20,000 volts or so. I have at least _some_
understanding of this issue.)

	When I think back on all the		|
	crap I learned in highschool /		|	Jon Singer
	It's a wonder I can think at all!	|	is jon@Apple.COM, or
	   - Paul Simon, Kodachrome		|	(AppleLink) SINGER2

In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
> I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
> involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
> I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
> send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
> handset..........

	The above reference is utter nonsense.  At best, the discharge of
a capacitor into a telephone line will provide a *mild* click at the far
end.

	500-type or equivalent telephone sets which employ a passive network
all have a varistor across the receiver element, with such varistor being
specificically designed to suppress clicks.  Telephone sets employing
electronic networks attenuate clicks using a combination of amplifier
limiting with varistors and/or diodes.

	A continuous sound above a certain level will also be limited at
the receiving telephone by the above means.

	The auditory threshhold of pain is generally considered to be
140 dB SPL (Sound Pressure Level), which is approximately equivalent to
2,000 microbar (dyne/cm^2 for CGS fans).  Since the volume of air between
the eardrum and the receiver diaphragm is "considerable", since there
is considerable air "leakage" between the ear and a telephone handset,
and since the diaphragm displacement in a receiver element is rather
small, it is virtually impossible to achieve 140 dB SPL even if the
receiver element were directly driven by a power amplifier (obviously
not found in a telephone).

	Furthermore, there is NO WAY for sufficient energy to be transmitted
through the switched telephone network into a loop-powered telephone set
with a handset to create such a sound pressure level.

	While one can no doubt create a sound which will make *some* people
at the receiving end *uncomfortable*, it is improbable that any pain, let
alone auditory damage, can be inflicted.

<> Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp. - Uniquex Corp. - Viatran Corp.
<> UUCP {boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
<> TEL  716/688-1231 || 716/773-1700       {utzoo|uunet}!/      \uniquex!larry
<> FAX  716/741-9635 || 716/773-2488        "Have you hugged your cat today?"

benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) (03/18/90)

Awright, awright!  We've wasted enough bandwidth - Can we drop the
discussion about the car battery and the phone? (which, by the way, worked
before the ESS, but only on unprotected MODEMS.)

--

chrz@tellab5.tellabs.com (Peter Chrzanowski) (03/21/90)

In article <1990Mar16.001210.27602@ddsw1.MCS.COM>, benfeen@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Ben Feen) writes:
> I saw an interesting method of getting back at phone harrassers - It
> involves a car battery, a large capacitor, and some wiring thru your phone.
> I'm not gonna go into it, but if you go through a certain sequence, you can
> send a surge through Ma Bell's wires, straight into the offender's
> handset..........

This just keeps going round and round... The fact is, most central office phone
switches, even local ones, are DIGITAL these days.  The phone switches I'm
familiar with encode each sample into eight bits.  No matter HOW LOUD a sound
you put in, or HOW MUCH VOLTAGE you put on the line  -- there's only so
much signal that's going to come out the other end.

Finally, you PROBABLY won't damage the phone company's equipment by doing
stupid things to it (you'd have to get past the lightening protection)
but if you do they'd be within their rights to make you pay for the damage.