[misc.misc] Optical musical score recognition

dwb@cs.ed.ac.uk (Dave Baines) (10/19/90)

I am posting this for a student here who does not have access to UseNet so
please send any replies directly to him via E-mail.

Optical Musical Score Recognition

  I am seeking information for my final year honours project at the department
of Computer Science, Edinburgh University.  The project involves interpreting
musical features (notes, sharp signs etc) from an image produced by an optical
scanner.  Has anyone ever tackled a similar project, or know of any literature
in this field ?

Thanks in advance,
David Bainbridge (dxb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk)

davisonj@ecn.purdue.edu (John M Davison) (10/21/90)

In article <714@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> dxb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (David Bainbridge) writes:
>I am posting this for a student here who does not have access to UseNet so
>please send any replies directly to him via E-mail.

	I cannot seem to find his/her electronic mail address, so I
will just post to the net:

>  I am seeking information for my final year honours project at the department
>of Computer Science, Edinburgh University.  The project involves interpreting
>musical features (notes, sharp signs etc) from an image produced by an optical
>scanner.  Has anyone ever tackled a similar project, or know of any literature
>in this field ?

	The WABOT-1 musical robot, which is pictured on the cover of
the Spring 1986 _Computer_Music_Journal_ and written up in the Summer
1986 _Computer_Music_Journal_, could (unless I am mistaken) scan a
page of sheet music in about ten seconds and convert the score to a
sequence which WABOT-1 would subsequently play.  (The sheet music was
scanned in one shot; real-time scanning, such as a human performer
would do, was not implemented.)

-davisonj@en.ecn.purdue.edu

mrsmith@rice-chex.ai.mit.edu (Mr. P. H. Smith) (10/22/90)

In article <714@skye.cs.ed.ac.uk> dxb@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (David Bainbridge) writes:
>  I am seeking information for my final year honours project at the
>department of Computer Science, Edinburgh University.  The project
>involves interpreting musical features (notes, sharp signs etc) from
>an image produced by an optical scanner.  Has anyone ever tackled a
>similar project, or know of any literature in this field ?

Alan Ruttenberg at the MIT Media Lab just showed me a demonstration of
his optical score reading stuff.  His system finds beams, note heads,
barlines, staff lines, accidentals, clefs, etc.  He's still working on
it and has yet to implement the midi transcription.  Anyway, you
should talk to him about it.

email: alanr@media-lab.media.mit.edu

Paul
mrsmith@ai.mit.edu