[misc.misc] Toolbit Grinding Jigs?

hwt@bwdlh490.BNR.CA (Henry Troup) (02/13/91)

Oops, clock was messed up.

|>uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

Henry Troup - BNR owns but does not share my opinions | The .signature is the
P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1Y 4H7| lowest form of humour
uunet!bnrgate!hwt%bwdlh490 HWT@BNR.CA +1 613-765-2337 |

danr@crash.cts.com (Dan Rubesh) (02/17/91)

Most tooling used in the modern machine shop environment are of the
indexable carbide insert variety.. I'm not aware of any specific jigs
for grinding HSS lathe tools, and learned to do that all manually
during apprenticeship so loooong ago.. I have on occaision used a
compound-angle fixture (Delta) on a surface grinder or tool and cutter
grinder to produce lathe bits that have to be ground to specific
angles/dimensions..

Dan Rubesh		UUCP: {nosc, ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!danr
			ARPA: crash!danr@nosc.mil
			INET: danr@crash.cts.com
--

stuart@rennet.cs.wisc.edu (Stuart Friedberg) (02/19/91)

In article <7598@crash.cts.com> danr@crash.cts.com (Dan Rubesh) writes:
>Most tooling used in the modern machine shop environment are of the
>indexable carbide insert variety.. I'm not aware of any specific jigs
>for grinding HSS lathe tools,

Glendo's Grinder Table is a simple, very sturdy, tool rest with miter
that can be set for compound angles.  I recently purchased their
2-in-1 combination package:  a Baldor 712 grinder, a Darex M3 drill
grinding fixture, a Grinder Table, and a steel plate and adapters for
quick mounting of the M3 and GT.  I've only used it for about 1 1/2
hours, so far, but I've been quite satisfied.

Glendo's phones, addresses, and ads can be found in Home Shop Machinist.

Stu Friedberg (stuart@cs.wisc.edu)