[misc.misc] GNU Emacs: Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster of all editors

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (03/08/91)

In article <9103081416.AA25644@rodan.UU.NET> kyle@WENDY-FATE.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) writes:
>There are more large and useful things out on the net than we
>ever want to consider posting.  Why does this Jargon file deserve
>reposting so soon?

In general, I would say that it doesn't deserve it.

However, IF the author is really into a creative phase just now where
he's accepting a lot of submissions from everyone, then I think we
should make an exception and let him repost more often than normal
without suffering flame death.

We all know how projects wax and wane.  Six months from now he may have
no energy for the jargon file, but right now he's got a lot.  We
shouldn't try and discourage him.

The jargon file actually is an important net artifact, somewhat
neglected in recent years, so let's cut it some slack.

>                     And why must it _all_ be reposted?  What's
>wrong with diffs?  If it absolutely _must_ be reposted, then
>please don't send all seventeen parts in one day, as was done
>last time.

Diffs would be a good idea, although they can be a bit offputting if you
don't have the right software.  Considering we're collecting TENEX lore,
is it fair to expect potential contributors to have GNU Diff at hand? :-)

kyle@WENDY-FATE.UU.NET (Kyle Jones) (03/08/91)

Otto J. Makela writes:
 > No you can't.  Why should it be limited for just your
 > convenience ?  Use a kill file if you don't want to see it,
 > but don't (try to) limit other's access...

There are more large and useful things out on the net than we
ever want to consider posting.  Why does this Jargon file deserve
reposting so soon?  And why must it _all_ be reposted?  What's
wrong with diffs?  If it absolutely _must_ be reposted, then
please don't send all seventeen parts in one day, as was done
last time.

All in all, I think some restraint needs to be shown here.