[misc.misc] Jargon File Version is 2.7.1

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (03/03/91)

Due to a screwup in my posting script, the version info was not included
in the Subject lines nor in the cover letter.  Sorry about that...
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/05/91)

Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?  (Please
check first to see if I still need it, not sure it would do my machine
any good to receive 100 copies all at once.)

Thanks much...

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) (03/06/91)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?  If so, could it be reposted?
Repost please - it didn't make it here either!

+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| Colm Buckley                        | "My program doesn't work."       |
| Computer Science,                   | "You forgot the semicolon."      |
| Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland  | "But..."                         |
|                                     | "Line 376. Check."               |
| cbuckley@unix1.tcd.ie               | "But..."                         |
| CBUCKLEY@vax1.tcd.ie                | "Trust me."                      |
+-------------------------------------+----------------------------------+

hulsebos@ehviea.ine.philips.nl (rob hulsebos) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?
Seems so. It didn't arrive here either.

eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) (03/07/91)

In <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> Paul Smee wrote:
> Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
> problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
> soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?

I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.thyrsus.com  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/07/91)

In article <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk (Paul Smee) writes:
>Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
>soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?  (Please
>check first to see if I still need it, not sure it would do my machine
>any good to receive 100 copies all at once.)

Haven't found a copy yet.  Have had several pieces of mail from other
UK sites asking me whether, if I get a copy, I'd pass it on, because
they didn't get it either.  I note a similar complaint from a Spanish
site.  Did anybody in Europe get part 06 of Jargon 2.7.1?  Could it be
reposted?

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

What is this discussion doing in alt.sources?

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
> Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

I'm glad he finally started sending it to newsgroups I *do* carry. I've
been wondering why the file hasn't been showing up recently. Alt.sources
is a fine place for it.
--
Peter da Silva.  `-_-'  peter@ferranti.com
+1 713 274 5180.  'U`  "Have you debugged your wolf today?"

#include <stdio.h>
#include <ctype.h>

#ifdef USG
#define MAILBOX "/usr/mail/%s"
#else
#define MAILBOX "/usr/spool/mail/%s"
#endif

#define STRLEN 255
char line[STRLEN];

getline(fp, line)
FILE *fp;
char *line;
{
	fgets(line, STRLEN, fp);
	line[strlen(line)-1] = 0;
}

main(ac, av)
int ac;
char **av;
{
	FILE *fp = 0;

	while(--ac)
		if(fp = fopen(*++av, "r")) {
			fsplit(fp);
			fclose(fp);
		} else {
			perror(*av);
			exit(1);
		}
	if(!fp) {
		char buffer[255];
		char *p, *getenv(), *getlogin();

		if(!(p = getenv("MAIL"))) {
			if(!(p = getenv("LOGNAME"))) {
				if(!(p = getlogin())) {
					fprintf(stderr,
					    "/etc/passwd: No login name.\n");
					exit(1);
				}
				sprintf(buffer, MAILBOX, p);
			}
		} else
			sprintf(buffer, "%s", p);
		if(!(fp = fopen(buffer, "r"))) {
			perror(buffer);
			exit(1);
		}
		fsplit(fp);
		fclose(fp);
	}
}

fsplit(fp)
FILE *fp;
{
	char outname[16];
	int outfile=0;
	FILE *outfp = 0;

	while(1) {
		getline(fp, line);
		if(feof(fp)) break;
		if(!strncmp(line, "From ", 5)) {
			if(outfp) fclose(outfp);
			sprintf(outname, "%d", ++outfile);
			if(!(outfp = fopen(outname, "w"))) {
				perror(outname);
				exit(1);
			}
		}
		if(outfp) fprintf(outfp, "%s\n", line);
	}
	if(outfp) fclose(outfp);
}

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (03/08/91)

In article <koFgy2w164w@dogface>  writes:
>jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>>>I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
>
>> Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
>> a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
>> same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?
>
>Here it is.

My apologies for posting in the alt.sources group.  Another net.citizen
pointed this out to me in e-mail, along with a virtual "Amen".  So I have
cancelled the alt.sources version.

Now - Brothers and Sisters - I feel a rant coming on ...

	Praise the Lord - I say - Praise the Lord that we have the
	almighty USENET to spew forth our dribble and noise into the
	vast cyberwasteland.  Yet there are those among us that
	would waste even this electronic WASTEland of cyberspace
	with hourly postings of cleverly acculated mindless buzzwords
	and phrases whose very meanings flutter in the wind, surpassing
	even the greatest of the bandwidth wasters - the very K*nt
	Paul Dolan himself - in their ability to post and repost that
	which surely was posted several times too many within one or
	two postings of having been posted in the first place.  And
	now I ask of YOU - what will YOU do to stop this mindLESS
	consumption of your precious number system lest the next
	version of that very document consume the last of the Really
	Big Numbers just before the government runs out of money again
	and is unable to borrow still more money because those very
	same Really Big Numbers are too busy being used to tell the
	tale of one to many Jargon File postings?
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (03/08/91)

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
[re Jargon file 2.8.1 coming out in about 10 days]
   Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
   a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
   same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

No you can't.  Why should it be limited for just your convenience ?  Use a kill
file if you don't want to see it, but don't (try to) limit other's access...

Having got that off my back, I feel that alt.sources *could* be dropped, since
this actually isn't source.  What about just an informational message telling
alt.sources.d readers that the new version has been posted to a.f.c and m.m ?
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

daveg@misty.sara.fl.us (Dave Goodman) (03/09/91)

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org>  jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
> In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> >
> >I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
>
> Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Amen, brother!  Jargon is an interesting and useful piece, but I really
can't say much in favor of the constant barrage of slightly updated
versions, posted to multiple groups.

--

Dave Goodman   .   .   .   .   .    __|__    .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .
daveg@misty.sara.fl.us .   . --o--o--(_)--o--o-- .   ....uunet!misty!daveg

greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) (03/09/91)

<19090@rpp386.cactus.org> by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
& In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
& >I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
&

A whole file or just diffs?

& Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
& a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
& same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Is hitting your "k" key so hard?  Would you please limit your postings to
newsgroups that I don't carry?

& --
& John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
& Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org
& "I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
&                 -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.

--
# On the 'Net:  Why are more and more fourth-level wizard(-wannabe)s trying
# to invoke ninth-level magic instead of taking the time to climb the other

msp33327@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Michael S. Pereckas) (03/09/91)

In <19093@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:

>Now - Brothers and Sisters - I feel a rant coming on ...

>	Praise the Lord - I say - Praise the Lord that we have the
>	almighty USENET to spew forth our dribble and noise into the
>	vast cyberwasteland.  Yet there are those among us that
>	would waste even this electronic WASTEland of cyberspace

By Dave Barry:

Broadcast Preacher:  And so we see that it was BEZEL who told SHAM to
go to Begorrah.  It was not SHAM who told BEZEL:  It was BEZEL who
told SHAM.  Now, people ask me, they say, ``Brother Ray Bob Tom, what
do you mean, it was Bezel wjho told Sham?'' And I say, ``What I mean
is that when we're talking about who told who to go to Begorrah, we
must understand that it was BEZEL who told...''

Remeber that the Jargon File is going to become a book in the near
future, and so he is trying to give us all a chance to make
suggestions and corrections.  I suspect it will die down after the
freeze deadline for the book.

--

Michael Pereckas               * InterNet: m-pereckas@uiuc.edu *
just another student...          (CI$: 72311,3246)

scott@skypod.uucp (Scott Campbell) (03/09/91)

In article <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) writes:
>In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>>In <1991Mar5.115350.22361@gdr.bath.ac.uk> Paul Smee wrote:
>>> Part 6 didn't make it to anyplace I can look at.  Is this a general
>>> problem?  If so, could it be reposted?  If not, is there some kind
>>> soul out there (preferably in the UK) who could mail be a copy?

>>I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.

>Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
>a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
>same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?

Amen, brother.

Even better, can you just leave it somewhere for it to be ftp'ed?

My hard disk crashes every time it comes by :-(((

scott

--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott@skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (03/10/91)

In article <3427@unisoft.UUCP> greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
><19090@rpp386.cactus.org> by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
>& In article <1ZgmWc#02nhn98XshJO3XTCw17MjXDN=eric@snark.thyrsus.com> eric@snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>& >I will probably post 2.8.1 in about ten days.
>
>A whole file or just diffs?

What do you think?  Has Eric been civil enough to limit his outbursts
to just diffs?

>& Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
>& a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
>& same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?
>
>Is hitting your "k" key so hard?  Would you please limit your postings to
>newsgroups that I don't carry?

Hitting the "k" key will not correct the problem at hand - namely that
the damned thing is frequently cross-posted from the groups it obviously
belongs in (things like "misc.misc" and "alt.folklore.computers") into
groups it obviously does not belong in, like comp.unix.wizards (remember
that one?) and alt.sources.  It is not source code, nor is it a part of
a discussion about UNIX or UNIX internals or [...].  I don't carry [ as
opposed to "I don't read" ] groups such as alt.folklore.computers because
I have exactly 0 interest in things which typically fall into that
catagory, and even less interest in wasting CPU and telco line bandwidth
needed to truck about the reminiscing of a bunch of old geets [ or young
geets as the case may be ].

># On the 'Net:  Why are more and more fourth-level wizard(-wannabe)s trying
># to invoke ninth-level magic instead of taking the time to climb the other
># (quite essential) thirteen or fourteen levels so they can do this properly?

Do you really believe this bullshit?
--

john@attcan.UUCP (John Benfield) (03/13/91)

In article <3427@unisoft.UUCP>, greywolf@unisoft.UUCP (The Grey Wolf) writes:
> <19090@rpp386.cactus.org> by jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II)
>
> & Could you please limit it to newsgroups that I don't carry?  I am getting
> & a bit tired of Jargon File du jour.  Is there anyone else that feels the
> & same way?  Can I get an "Amen" brother?
>
> Is hitting your "k" key so hard?  Would you please limit your postings to
> newsgroups that I don't carry?

Since when does hitting 'k' stop megabytes of data from flowing
into your system through your modem from your USENET distribution
site? Must be a new option I haven't heard about yet. :) [and just
to be a further pain-in-the-ass, not everybody uses the same
news reader software. "Hitting your 'k' key" may very well be
fatal in some news readers or it may automatically send a core
dump to greywolf@unisoft.UUCP {well...maybe not now, but I can
email you a patch to make it happen}]

Defender of the yutzes who don't have enough sense
to appreciate the Jargon file. =8)

______Opinions stated are my own. Transcripts available by request______
      ===
    =--====  AT&T Canada Inc.             John Benfield
   =----==== 3650 Victoria Park Ave.      Network Support Analyst (MIS)
   =----==== Suite 800
   ==--===== Willowdale, Ontario          attmail   : ~jbenfield
    =======  M2H-3P7			  email     : uunet!attcan!john
      ===    (416) 756-5221               Compu$erve: 72137,722

____Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines._____