[misc.misc] Rain Forest Destruction

kinnersley@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (06/02/91)

In article <1991Jun1.213133.2781@colorado.edu>,
   william@alumni.colorado.edu (William Hughes) writes:
:
: Dear Citizens of the World,
:
:      We are a concerned group of people who would like to
: address the problem of rain forest destruction.
:
[...]
:
:      Do you realize that 50 acres of rain forest are being
: destroyed every minute? That's 26,280,000 acres each year.  At
:
[...]
:
:      However, there are solutions:  programs that let you but
: acreage of rain forest - and nobody can legally use that land
: for any purpose, except you. One such program is available
: through the Rain Forest Foundation. You can purchase l acre for
: $100, or one-half acre for $58. You will receive a signed
: Certificate of Acknowledgement, and a map pinpointing your acre
: of rain forest, plus a Rain Forest Foundation T-shirt. For
:
: Concerned students at
:
: Centennial Junior High
:
: Boulder, Colorado 80304

The students at Centennial Junior High would be well advised to shop around.
School children here in Lawrence, KS just saved 2 1/2 acres of rain forest,
and it only cost them $82.50.

--
--Bill Kinnersley

william@alumni.colorado.edu (William Hughes) (06/02/91)

The following letter was written by a group of students at
Centennial Jr. High School in Boulder, Colorado as part of a
class project in Biology.

Dear Citizens of the World,

     We are a concerned group of people who would like to
address the problem of rain forest destruction.

     Do you realize that 50 acres of rain forest are being
destroyed every minute? That's 26,280,000 acres each year.  At
this rate, scientists  calculate that by the year 2000, there
will be little or no rain forests left in the world. This is a
major problem. because the rain forests contain more than 50% of
the world's animal species. Did you know that the rain forest
loses one species per day?  In Brazil and Costa Rica alone, it
is estimated that in the next quarter century, 1.2 million plant
and animal species are at risk of being forever wiped form the
face of the planet. Many of these species may be the answer to
diseases such as AIDS and cancer. Furthermore, the rain forest
provides clean air to help clean up our already polluted
atmosphere. This is also a major problem, because the rain
forest helps control the world's climate.

     The rain forest is being destroyed for cattle ranching,
commercial logging, and tobacco production.  Iron and ore mining
is also a problem, because this industry is chopping down rain
forests to be replaced by mines.

     This problem is being caused by multilateral development
banks (MDB's) who loan 22 billion dollars to third world
development every year.  Other companies which exacerbate the
situation are private bank such as Citicorp, Wells Fargo, and
the Bank of America who loan over 3 times what the MDB's loan.
Coca-cola is also part of the problem.

     There are other reasons that cutting rain forest isn't the
best solution to space or logging problems: deforested land
needs large inputs of water, pesticides, and fertilizers.
Besides the land turns to desert after 1 - 10 years. Also, there
are many large-scale projects that use large areas of land, but
employ few people.

     However, there are solutions:  programs that let you but
acreage of rain forest - and nobody can legally use that land
for any purpose, except you. One such program is available
through the Rain Forest Foundation. You can purchase l acre for
$100, or one-half acre for $58. You will receive a signed
Certificate of Acknowledgement, and a map pinpointing your acre
of rain forest, plus a Rain Forest Foundation T-shirt. For
details, call toll free 1-800-542-1800 or write The Rain Forest
Foundation, P.O. Box 757, Plainville, Connecticut 06062. We hope
that you  are more informed about the rain forest situation, and
thanks for taking the time to read this document!

Concerned students at

Centennial Junior High

Boulder, Colorado 80304

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (06/04/91)

william@alumni.colorado.edu (William Hughes) writes:

>     Do you realize that 50 acres of rain forest are being
>destroyed every minute? That's 26,280,000 acres each year.  At
>this rate, scientists  calculate that by the year 2000, there
>will be little or no rain forests left in the world. This is a
>major problem.

So?

>because the rain forests contain more than 50% of
>the world's animal species. Did you know that the rain forest
>loses one species per day?

Ever hear of Darwin?

>Many of these species may be the answer to
>diseases such as AIDS and cancer.

So might the dinosaurs. Coorelation study references, please?

>Furthermore, the rain forest
>provides clean air to help clean up our already polluted
>atmosphere. This is also a major problem, because the rain
>forest helps control the world's climate.

No, the rain forest provides only a portion of this control. The earth's
oceans provide far more. So, if you're really interested in saving the
earth, work to stop ocean dumping instead.

>     This problem is being caused by multilateral development
>banks (MDB's) who loan 22 billion dollars to third world
>development every year.  Other companies which exacerbate the
>situation are private bank such as Citicorp, Wells Fargo, and
>the Bank of America who loan over 3 times what the MDB's loan.
>Coca-cola is also part of the problem.

Oh, yes, let's not forget to throw in that "evil, huge, uncaring multinational
corporation" claim too...

>Besides the land turns to desert after 1 - 10 years.i

Yeah, the deserts in the northeast are one prime example of how all this
buildup really hurts the earth.

>Also, there
>are many large-scale projects that use large areas of land, but
>employ few people.

So, I guess we should just disallow farming, huh?

>     However, there are solutions:  programs that let you but
>acreage of rain forest - and nobody can legally use that land
>for any purpose, except you. One such program is available
>through the Rain Forest Foundation. You can purchase l acre for
>$100, or one-half acre for $58. You will receive a signed
>Certificate of Acknowledgement, and a map pinpointing your acre
>of rain forest, plus a Rain Forest Foundation T-shirt. For
>details, call toll free 1-800-542-1800 or write The Rain Forest
>Foundation, P.O. Box 757, Plainville, Connecticut 06062.

Are these certificates recognized deeds by the respective governments
of the countries in question?

Or, should I be saying: Money grab alert! Money grab alert!

MD
--
--  Michael P. Deignan                      /
--  Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com            /  This space intentionally

al@gtx.com (Alan Filipski) (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun03.221120.28743@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
-william@alumni.colorado.edu (William Hughes) writes:

--because the rain forests contain more than 50% of
--the world's animal species. Did you know that the rain forest
--loses one species per day?
-Ever hear of Darwin?

What's the point?  That all evolution is in our best interest?  That we should
destroy species simply because species have become extinct in the past?
Absurd.

--Furthermore, the rain forest
--provides clean air to help clean up our already polluted
--atmosphere. This is also a major problem, because the rain
--forest helps control the world's climate.
-No, the rain forest provides only a portion of this control. The earth's
-oceans provide far more. So, if you're really interested in saving the
-earth, work to stop ocean dumping instead.

The effect of the oceans on climate has to do with thermal mass and
circulation.  What does dumping have to do with that?

--     This problem is being caused by multilateral development
--banks (MDB's) who loan 22 billion dollars to third world
--development every year.  Other companies which exacerbate the
--situation are private bank such as Citicorp, Wells Fargo, and
--the Bank of America who loan over 3 times what the MDB's loan.
--Coca-cola is also part of the problem.
-Oh, yes, let's not forget to throw in that "evil, huge, uncaring multinational
-corporation" claim too...

Only if it's true.

--Besides the land turns to desert after 1 - 10 years.i
-Yeah, the deserts in the northeast are one prime example of how all this
-buildup really hurts the earth.

Northeast of what?

 ( Alan Filipski, GTX Corp, 8836 N. 23rd Avenue, Phoenix, Arizona 85021, USA )
 ( {decvax,hplabs,uunet!amdahl,nsc}!sun!sunburn!gtx!al         (602)870-1696 )