[net.music] Canadian Bands

peterr@utcsrgv.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (03/26/84)

There are quite a few fans of Cdn bands in Toronto (we seem to be getting
over our inferiority complex in the area of music).  Martha and the Muffins
(now called M+M), Parachute Club, Bruce Cockburn, Men Without Hats,
Rough Trade (Carole Pope, lead vocals, is the official Cdn Pepsi figurehead,
as M Jackson is in the US), The Payola$, Nash the Slash, FM, ... are all
quite popular.  Nash the Slash has a new 12" single, "1984", by the way.
My favourite lesser-known Toronto band is Strangeness Beauty, a jazz band
that records on C-Note records (124 Cassandra Blvd, Don Mills, Ont. CANADA
M3A 1S9 416-531-8189).  I'm not too familiar with jazz, so I can't compare
them to others well, except to say that Ron Allen plays Lyricon for them,
to very good effect.  Some months ago, there was interest in the Lyricon
expressed in this group-- if you'd like to hear some good music made with
it, I suggest their only LP, "Back To Nowhere", made in 1982.

p. rowley, U. Toronto

"Unauthorized duplication is a violation of all applicable laws
 and seriously frowned upon"     (back cover of "Back to Nowhere")

rao@utcsstat.UUCP (Eli Posner) (03/27/84)

How can you forget RUSH?
--
Eli Posner
{allegra,ihnp4,linus,decvax}!utzoo!utcsstat!rao

peterr@utcsrgv.UUCP (Peter Rowley) (03/27/84)

     >From: rao@utcsstat.UUCP (Eli Posner)
     >Subject: Re: Canadian bands
     >
     >How can you forget RUSH?

Not buying their records helps.  If all else fails, try electro-shock therapy.

rlr@pyuxn.UUCP (Rich Rosen) (03/27/84)

> How can you forget RUSH?

Very easily, with minimal effort. :-)
--
"You are not morg.  You are not I-morg!!!"
					Rich Rosen    pyuxn!rlr

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (03/28/84)

Loverboy's from Canada, isn't it?
(I know they're not everybody's favorite though.)
--
                               Be ye moby,
                               for I am moby.

Greg-bo, Prince of Eternia
{decvax!genrad, eagle!mit-vax, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds

blickstein@orphan.DEC (Dave Blickstein DTN: 381-2096) (03/29/84)

1) Triumph.

2) Saga

3) Bachman Turner Overdrive

I don't care much for 1) and 3), but Saga is doing some interesting stuff
which seems to try and bridge the gap between the progressive rock of the
70s and the pop sound of the 80s.  The only problem is that almost all of
their songs sound alike.

	Dave Blickstein

	(UUCP)  {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein

	(ARPA)  decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@Berkeley
	        decwrl!rhea!orphan!blickstein@SU-Shasta

myers@uwvax.ARPA (03/30/84)

How can you list Bachman-Turner Overdrive without remembering its
predecessor (the Guess Who)?

eadler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (04/01/84)

Methinks the group Buggles (Video killed the radio star) is from canada.
also, what about The Guess Who (American Woman)..

But then again... I could be wrong, but then again... who cares!
--
	"I stands about all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

				Elliott Adler

			{cucard,philabs,esquire,pegasus}!aecom!elliott

eadler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (04/01/84)

Sorry guys, the old brain just cranked out another canadian band...

		PRISM (Armageddon)

sorry, my roomate last year was canadian, and boy, i think i've had
enough of canadian music (well, maybe not!)
--
	"I stands about all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

				Elliott Adler

			{cucard,philabs,esquire,pegasus}!aecom!elliott

eadler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (04/05/84)

        More on Neil Young...  wasn't most of CSNY from the Great
White.  I am not sure of this, but if you ever heard  these  guys
talk, boy do they have Canadian accents.

        Also, I have  been  given  a  couple  of  more  names  of
Canadian groups...

	Teenage Head
	Chilliwack
	Robert Cummings (the guy from CCR and Guess Who)
	Toronto

        and a couple of other really wierd  names...   if  anyone
wants, I'll post a whole list.
--
	"I stands about all I can stands, and I can't stands no more!"

				Elliott Adler

			{cucard,philabs,esquire,pegasus}!aecom!elliott

chat@mhuxi.UUCP (KAPSALIS) (04/11/84)

[]
okay, hows about Neil Young?;  The McGarrigle Sisters?;  Gordon Lightfoot??

Anne Murray?;

				skip

                                ..floyd!mhuxi!chat

ers@moscom.UUCP (Randy Stuckless) (10/01/84)

[]

  I just returned from a weekend in Toronto, where I heard a lot
of enthusiastic comments about a band "Teenage Head". What are
they about? My ten year old cousin had a poster of theirs on her
wall, and my 35 year old aunt was a fan as well. I felt this
diversity in appeal was unusual and worth merit.

   One other Canadian band that I would like to hear about are
"Doug and the Slugs". I heard a documentary on CBC about two
years ago that presented them as a real "smart" band with a
fanatical following around Vancover. I had a chance to see them
here in Rochester N.Y. in a smallish club (the Red Creek for you
locals) with about 25 other people, they were great!

   Any comments, (Eg. what, where, and how good are they doing)?
				ers
--
					E. Randall Stuckless
				rochester!ritcv!moscom!ers

russ@ihuxi.UUCP (Russell Spence) (10/04/84)

>    One other Canadian band that I would like to hear about are
> "Doug and the Slugs".

"Doug and the Slugs" have have had a video on HBO that has been playing for
at least a couple of years.  It is a pretty funny video that includes some
kind of story that involves all of the members of the band.  I've never seen
it on MTV, but it is on my list of top 10 videos none the less.  I'm sorry
that I can't remember the title of the song, but I haven't seen it in a
while.
--

						Russell Spence
						ihnp4!ihuxi!russ

michaelf@ism780.UUCP (10/05/84)

#R:moscom:-23400:ism780:20500024:000:126
ism780!michaelf    Oct  3 15:44:00 1984

	 Does a band named Bahama Mama still play at the Creek?

						- A former Rochesterian
						       now in Hollywood