[net.sf-lovers] 2010 glitch

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA (01/08/85)

From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA

>Did anyone notice this one?  In the "Mission Report" at the >beginning
of the film, the monolith is said to have been dug up in >1999 in the
Sea of Tranquillity, and is known as the "Tycho >monolith".

I seem to remember that the Monolith was originally found at Clavius and
called something like the Clavius Anomaly.  Please correct me if I'm
wrong.  (This is the movie 2001 that I'm refering to).

      Brett Slocum

          Slocum @ HI-MULTICS     (arpa-net)
          ihnp4!umn-cs!hi-csc!slocum (uucp)

davidl@orca.UUCP (David Levine) (01/09/85)

In article <188@topaz.ARPA> @RUTGERS.ARPA:Slocum.CSCDA@HI-MULTICS.ARPA writes:
>From: Slocum@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
>
>>Did anyone notice this one?  In the "Mission Report" at the >beginning
>of the film, the monolith is said to have been dug up in >1999 in the
>Sea of Tranquillity, and is known as the "Tycho >monolith".
>
>I seem to remember that the Monolith was originally found at Clavius and
>called something like the Clavius Anomaly.  Please correct me if I'm
>wrong.  (This is the movie 2001 that I'm refering to).
>
>      Brett Slocum

In '2001', the monolith found on the Moon was designated Tycho Magnetic
Anomaly 1, or TMA-1 (it was originally detected because it had an
enrmous magnetic field).  The monolith found near Jupiter was called TMA-2,
although (as someone in the book noted) it was nowhere near Tycho and was not
magnetic.  However, I can see the name mutating over the course of 11 years.  I
imagine the Monolith would become the subject of near-legendary tales, like
those of the bodies from the crashed flying saucer in a hangar in Texas...

Oh, Clavius was the location of the base that Heywood Floyd was traveling to at
the beginning of the film.  (It's amazing how much a man can change in 11
years... by 2010, he looked just like Roy Scheider! :-) )  That may be
what you remember.

David D. Levine  (...decvax!tektronix!orca!davidl)          [UUCP]
                 (orca!davidl.tektronix@csnet-relay.csnet)  [ARPA]

okie@ihuxi.UUCP (B.K. Cobb) (01/11/85)

Sorry, Brett, you're close but not correct.  The lunar base
where Floyd and company landed was, indeed, Clavius (located in
the crater Clavius).  The monolith was dug up in the crater
Tycho -- thus its title, TMA-1 (Tycho Magnetic Anomaly-1).
If you'll recall, Floyd had to take a trip via moonbus out
to the Tycho site from Clavius.

You know, I wonder why they didn't refer to the "Tycho monolith"
as "TMA-1" in 2010?  Too confusing to the audience?  Just not enough
continuity?

B.K. Cobb
ihnp4!ihuxi!okie

"Will this upstart ever stop?"

p.s.  Jeff Meyer -- if you're out there, it's okay to use my line
      "My God, it's full of critics!" as a sign-off.  I haven't
      been able to get a mail message to you since you asked me
      about this a few weeks back.  I like to keep switching sign-
      offs, so having one used for posterity's sake is fine by me.
      Sorry I couldn't get this to you by netmail.

rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Randy Buckland) (01/11/85)

> >Did anyone notice this one?  In the "Mission Report" at the >beginning
> of the film, the monolith is said to have been dug up in >1999 in the
> Sea of Tranquillity, and is known as the "Tycho >monolith".
>
> I seem to remember that the Monolith was originally found at Clavius and
> called something like the Clavius Anomaly.  Please correct me if I'm
> wrong.  (This is the movie 2001 that I'm refering to).

You are wrong. The monolith was in Tycho and was called the
"Tycho Magnetic Anomaly - 1" or TMA-1 Clavius was the moon base.

					Randy Buckland
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb