[net.sf-lovers] STAR-LOST

@RUTGERS.ARPA:Stabron%xls-plexus01.darcom@amc-hq.arpa (01/10/85)

From: Susan Tabron <stabron%xls-plexus01.darcom@amc-hq.arpa>

I too remember this series - it was on on Sunday mornings (!) and I *liked*
it.  I read the book, Phoenix Without Ashes, and liked it too (it's still
around someplace).  The ship was peopled with examples of as many earth
cultures/geographical areas as they could cram in - I think the earth was
about to be destroyed, or some such.  It wasn't great, but it could have
been with the proper writers/producers.  (I like naive heros, so you have
to make allowances - but I didn't like Lost in Space.)

					Sue

derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) (01/10/85)

Is this that same television show that Harlan Ellison was talked into writing
for in Canada, but then stopped and even refused to let them use his name on
it when they, in his opinion, hacked both his pride and his story to pieces?
If so, I would like to see some of it, for he gives a rather humorous account
of the fiasco as part his book, "Stalking the Nightmare," or something like
that.

derek
--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

vljohnson@watrose.UUCP (Lee Johnson) (01/12/85)

I liked "The Starlost" too.  As I recall, the original story upon which it
was based, "Phoenix Without Ashes", was written by Harlan Ellison.  I
vaguely remember reading that Ellison was *not* happy about the way the TV
production was carried off--so much so that he withdrew his name from the
credits and substituted the pseudonym "Cordwainer Bird".

I think the show was a Canadian production (Glen-Warren Productions).
Robin Ward, who played Garth, could more recently be seen in various
commercials.  As for Keir Dullea (Devon), you can see him in 2010.
I have no idea what happened to the actress who played Rachael.

Regards,
Lee Johnson

rick@uwmacc.UUCP (the absurdist) (01/13/85)

In article <100@uwvax.UUCP> derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) writes:
>Is this that same television show that Harlan Ellison was talked into writing
>for in Canada...
	Yes.
>If so, I would like to see some of it, for he gives a rather humorous account
>of the fiasco as part his book, "Stalking the Nightmare," or something like
>that.
	The show is too bad even to be worth seeing for camp value.
The production of the TV show (as opposed to the subject of the TV show)
has also been satirized by Ben Bova, in "The StarCrossed."
After reading it, one can only assume that Bova didn't get sued for
libel by those involved because of the fear that a court would rule
that they were indeed as idiotic as they are portrayed in the novel.
--
"When I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean --
neither more nor less"  -- Humpty Dumpty, the noted linguist

Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

padpowell@wateng.UUCP (PAD Powell) (01/14/85)

In article <663@uwmacc.UUCP> rick@uwmacc.UUCP (Rick Keir) writes:
>In article <100@uwvax.UUCP> derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) writes:
>>Is this that same television show that Harlan Ellison was talked into writing
>>for in Canada...
>	Yes.
>	The show is too bad even to be worth seeing for camp value.
>The production of the TV show (as opposed to the subject of the TV show)
>has also been satirized by Ben Bova, in "The StarCrossed."
>After reading it, one can only assume that Bova didn't get sued for
>libel by those involved because of the fear that a court would rule
>that they were indeed as idiotic as they are portrayed in the novel.
>--
>Rick Keir -- MicroComputer Information Center, MACC
>1210 West Dayton St/U Wisconsin Madison/Mad WI 53706
>{allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!rick

I have been involved with CBC, and other production companies, and when
I read the book, I just about died laughing.  Even the CBC exec's who
read the book enjoyed it.  I think even Harlan ("The Teeth That Talk, The
Jaws That Froth") Ellison enjoyed it.

At least we can laugh at ourselves...

Patrick ("Artistic Merit?  Didn't he used to work for Children's Television
	Workshop?") Powell