[net.music] Why can't I listen to The Beatles with headphones?

nessus@mit-eddie.ARPA (11/02/85)

From: nessus (Doug Alan)
> From: schneider@2littl.DEC

> You said "I hate rock 'n roll"....

> But now you say "Rock" doesn't mean rock 'n roll.  This inventing of
> semantics on the fly makes it one tough term to nail down.

Well I dunno.  Maybe I was just brainwashed by the music teachers I had
in elementary school, but they told me that "rock 'n' roll" refers to a
style that became popular in the fifties and was made popular by Chuck
Berry, Elvis Presley, et al, while "rock" refers to a style that was
spun off from "rock 'n' roll', became popular in the sixties and was
made popular at first mostly by The Beatles.

> My assumption was that this includes the Beatles, but excludes "art"
> rock.

The Beatles didn't do art rock???  Are you trying to upset me?

> I think you have a contempt for music which is too popular or (oh, how
> shall I put it?) "pop" music.  Eh?  But of course it pays never to be
> too adamant and leave room for exceptions, doesn't it?

I have contempt for music which is too popular?  The three
artists/groups that I have been fanatical about are The Beatles, Pink
Floyd, and Kate Bush.  The first two are probably the two most
successful groups ever.  And the third, if not well-known in the U.S.,
in England is a house-hold name just as much as The Beatles, and
probably the most successful female musician in England.

What I do have contempt for is formulaic, commercial music that exists
merely so some people can make a buck.  Also I'm not wild about anything
that is excessively mainstream.

> [Doug has expressed a preference for music which is designed to be listened
> to in a dark room with headphones.]

I never said that.  I said "I'd rather listen to music in a pitch black
room with headphones on while sitting on a sub-woofer, than go out
dancing."  That's not saying I think the music should be designed for
listening to that way.  I like listening to dance music that way too.
It just has to have something else to hold my interest other than just
being danceable.

> .... but that's not what the Beatles were into doing.  I also have, of
> course, listened in solitude, but the fact remains they were in a
> period of Social experimentation and were "turning on".

I don't see why you say that listening to music that way implies not
being socially aware.  I just like to be able to concentrate on the
music I listen to without distractions.  If I went to see the movie "The
Killing Fields", I'd prefer to see it in a dark, quiet movie theatre
with a large screen and a 70 mm dolby quadraphonic magnetic sound print,
rather than dance around in front of a TV showing it at a noisy party.
If you'd rather see it that way, go ahead.  And if you'd rather dance
around to "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds", go right ahead too.  But I'd
prefer to listen to it with headphones.

			"Look for the girl with the sun in her eyes"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)