[net.sf-lovers] Can anyone identify

@RUTGERS.ARPA:SUTHERLAND@TL-20A.ARPA (01/09/85)

From: Dean Sutherland <Sutherland@TL-20A.ARPA>

this book?  It was written by Alan E. Nourse (I think...)

Hero is a member of "Earth Intelligence".  He is trying to catch a spy for the
"bad guys" (I don't remember who they are).  The spy has the ability to
teleport himself from any point on a planet to any other, or to teleport from
ground to orbit (or vice versa).  I recall that the Earth empire held together
because their military could supposedly cause suns to nova.

The only other thing that I remember is that many characters turn out to
actually be different people than the reader is led to believe.  In fact, at
least one character really isn't the person HE thought he was...

Dean F. Sutherland

@RUTGERS.ARPA,@MIT-MC:LS.SRB@MIT-EECS (01/15/85)

From: "Stephen R. Balzac" <LS.SRB%MIT-EECS@MIT-MC.ARPA>

    Date: Wednesday, 9 January 1985  14:55-EST
    From: Dean Sutherland <Sutherland at TL-20A.ARPA>
    To:   SF-LOVERS at MIT-MC
    Re:   Can anyone identify

    this book?  It was written by Alan E. Nourse (I think...)

    Hero is a member of "Earth Intelligence".  He is trying to catch a
    spy for the "bad guys" (I don't remember who they are).  The spy has
    the ability to teleport himself from any point on a planet to any
    other, or to teleport from ground to orbit (or vice versa).  I
    recall that the Earth empire held together because their military
    could supposedly cause suns to nova.

    The only other thing that I remember is that many characters turn
    out to actually be different people than the reader is led to
    believe.  In fact, at least one character really isn't the person HE
    thought he was...

This one is (I think) "The Programmed Man".  The author is not Nourse,
but a husband/wife team, in the early part of the alphabet.

asente@Cascade.ARPA (01/16/85)

> From: Dean Sutherland <Sutherland@TL-20A.ARPA>
>
> this book?  It was written by Alan E. Nourse (I think...)
>
> Hero is a member of "Earth Intelligence".  He is trying to catch a spy for the
> "bad guys" (I don't remember who they are).  The spy has the ability to
> teleport himself from any point on a planet to any other, or to teleport from
> ground to orbit (or vice versa).  I recall that the Earth empire held together
> because their military could supposedly cause suns to nova.
>
> The only other thing that I remember is that many characters turn out to
> actually be different people than the reader is led to believe.  In fact, at
> least one character really isn't the person HE thought he was...
>
> Dean F. Sutherland

This sounds a lot like "The Programmed Man."  I read this when I was
about in 7th grade so the memory's a bit fuzzy, but I recall liking
it.  It was definately a juvenile SF book.

	-paul asente

gwr@cord.UUCP (GW Ryan) (01/17/85)

>    Re:   Can anyone identify
>
>    this book?  It was written by Alan E. Nourse (I think...)
>
>    Hero is a member of "Earth Intelligence".  He is trying to catch a
>    spy for the "bad guys" (I don't remember who they are).  The spy has
>    the ability to teleport himself from any point on a planet to any
>    other, or to teleport from ground to orbit (or vice versa).  I
>    recall that the Earth empire held together because their military
>    could supposedly cause suns to nova.
>
>    The only other thing that I remember is that many characters turn
>    out to actually be different people than the reader is led to
>    believe.  In fact, at least one character really isn't the person HE
>    thought he was...
>

>This one is (I think) "The Programmed Man".  The author is not Nourse,
>but a husband/wife team, in the early part of the alphabet.

This sounds like a story I read ages ago.
It's been a long time: am I confusing this story with another one?

I remember the head bad guy was something like Golem Gregor
(and they would say "I work for Dr. G")?
The teleport was named something like Myron Terrel???
and I remember that the military secret about
the cause-suns-to-go-nova bomb was
that every warship was really flying with an empty bomb bay.

am I thinking of a different story? If so, which one??

jerry ryan
cord!gwr